Acceptable kilometres for a newbie to be riding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
andione1983

Acceptable kilometres for a newbie to be riding

Postby andione1983 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:28 am

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to riding regular, and over the last two to three months gradually been winding up my kilometres.
My main aim is to loose around 10kgs as I'm applying to get into Victoria Police.
It is also something I am really enjoying now.. And after discovering just a few of the eastern suburbs bike tracks kn Melbourne am loving it even more..
I basically started off riding a couple of nights a week around 6-7ks then maybe three nights a week 13ks..now I'm doing over 20klms and almost 30klms a night every night... My legs are a little sore when i go to bed and still a little sore the next morning... Is it ok to keep riding every day with slightly sore legs? Am I overdoing it... Do i need to have a break or a couple of rest days between?

:)

Thanks guys
Andrew.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)

Tornado

Re: Acceptable kilometres for a newbie to be riding

Postby Tornado » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:48 am

The general consensus is to increase your distance each week or so by 10%. Gradual increase of distance and rest when you feel it's required. Search this forum for base kilometres or go to the world authority that is Google.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:05 am

Your legs are sore, because you are hurting them everyday. Go into the Training Thread and start reading. Hard day easy day, grind day spin day but seeing as you are just starting out, just do Ks at a sensible pace that doesn't hurt you for three or four months. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

andione1983

Postby andione1983 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 am

Just took a cruisy ride with mates clocked up another 20k thismorning.. Doing fine legs are good

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Road Bike - Giant Advanced Defy 2 (2018)
MTB - Boardman Team Pro (2013)