What to do if a car purposely drives too close?

ICU812

What to do if a car purposely drives too close?

Postby ICU812 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 pm

I have had this happen to me not only once but 2 or 3 times in a single ride. Do I have rights to report? Some cars are purposely driving within 1m or less to me on a country road that is marked 80km. The road is not lined and has no gutters or lights. Honestly my heart is in my mouth and makes me feel sick that they are so close at such high speed. :x I believe they do it on purpose because I am female (wearing pink) and to scare me. I am visible with a flashing red light, and riding in broad daylight. Most drivers are courteous since Bathurst is a big cycling city, but there are some out there that hate cyclists. Is there anything I can do?

biker jk

Re: What to do if a car purposely drives too close?

Postby biker jk » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Get the rego number and report to the police. Perhaps a camera is your best option especially if riding alone often. I guess you must get a fair few bogan motorists around Bathurst.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:12 pm

I'd report them, but without cameras or an independent witness to back you a traffic infringement notice is not going to be issued. Even then, you have to be prepared to go to court to back your evidence with testimony. The reason for this is the standard of proof is at the criminal law level, that is "beyond reasonable doubt"

The good news, though, is this:
I can confirm that I have had 3 bus drivers disciplined ("counselled") by their employers as a result of my video footage, and I'd have had a further TIN issued to a woman who left hooked me except I was unable to meet with the Constable due to conflicting schedules (ball was in my court on that, not a reflection on him). In fact the constable was really keen to issue the ticket.

Unfortunately these (choose prefered expletive)-heads are out there. 99% of drivers are courteous, but it only takes the one to connect.

I'd be looking for a training partner, too. There's a great club in Bathurst. One of my colleagues moved out there because of it.

ICU812

Postby ICU812 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Ha ha that made me laugh about the bogan motorists. You do occasionally get the Holden supped up utes with a dozen fat areials, RM Williams painted on the rear window and naked ladies on the mudflaps, yelling obscenities out the window. They are not the problem :) I have only been yelled at once by them in my lifetime of cycling. It just seems like ignorant motorists. It is a very frequently used route by cyclists. Maybe I should get a jersey from Amy Gillet Foundation!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:58 pm

ICU812 wrote:Maybe I should get a jersey from Amy Gillet Foundation!
Somehow I don't think they would be able to read it at the possible 90Km/h they are passing you at. Not that it would likely matter to them. Might be easier to avoid that road.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Call me an old fashioned sexist pig if you like but what sort of oedipal onanist with a liking for coprophilia would monster a lady just because she rides a bike? She's still a lady for Freds sake :(

Not a new jersey ICU, you need to accessorise :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ICU812

Postby ICU812 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Maybe if I borrowed by son's biggest Nerf gun with bullet jacket and fling a few bullets in the cars direction. And added to that, my son has opened up these guns, modified them with my husband's guidance so that they throw bullets twice the distance........ :twisted: oh yeah

http://conflictedracer.wordpress.com/20 ... -projects/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh dear this is getting a bit too far fetched

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am

I swear.Then unclinch my sphincter and keep riding.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:28 am

A couple of cars have found themselves with a dent when they have gotten close and then tried to turn over me
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 am

Mulger bill wrote:Call me an old fashioned sexist pig if you like but what sort of oedipal onanist with a liking for coprophilia would monster a lady just because she rides a bike? She's still a lady for Freds sake :(

Not a new jersey ICU, you need to accessorise :wink:

Shaun
That would be quite useful. :)

A camera is a good thing to have, then you can report them and hope the Police will take action.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:46 am

The true answer is "not a lot". You have just had a metal projectile fired at you.
A camera is the best answer, but it's still an after the event thing.
I choose my routes and ride times with care to minimize shaves, but I still get a few.
It's not your pinkness, it's because you are there.
You have officially become your parents.

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:31 am

i wonder if you could have a paint ball gun on your bike and mark the car with a non staining paint that will wash off with water, dont want to get charged with criminal damage

:)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:37 am

Without video or at least the plates there's not much you can do after the event other than try to remain philosophical and remember all the cars that did pass safely... Does rattle you though; my most memorable fly-by was from a white tradie yoot on a rural road in the early AM - reckon he went past at over 100Kmph with less than 20cm to spare :evil:

What you can do is try to avoid a repeat; a good tactic for relatively quiet rural roads is to move to your right, into the middle of the lane as you hear a vehicle approaching in the distance, then move back to the left as they're about to pass. This gives you have more space than you would otherwise whether they leave a safe distance or not, and gives you 'bailout' room to your left if you need it. I also puts you in a more visible position on the road, so inattentive drivers are more likely to notice you, particularly on left-hand bends with limited visibility. Doesn't really work if it's a busy road, though.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

AKO

Postby AKO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:11 pm

rjk wrote:i wonder if you could have a paint ball gun on your bike and mark the car with a non staining paint that will wash off with water, dont want to get charged with criminal damage

:)
there are actually tighter restrictions on paintball markers than traditional firearms in this country. They can only be used on registered paintball fields and shall not be displayed in public. Being charged with criminal damage would be the least of your dramas. It boils down to the fact that markers primary function is to shoot a projectile at another human, but it is fun. A better option would be to....... Nah, better not. :twisted:
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo