munga

Re: Qld weather venting posts

Postby munga » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:13 pm

three storeys up on scaffolding it was

on the upside, it wasn't raining!!!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Dimma wrote:The wind was brutal this morning, or have I just lost any form I thought I had?
Absolutely brutal, I did a road race out at Elimbah yesterday afternoon, between the wind and the badly pot holed roads it was a tough race.
Lisa

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Dimma wrote:The wind was brutal this morning, or have I just lost any form I thought I had?
Absolutely brutal, I did a road race out at Elimbah yesterday afternoon, between the wind and the badly pot holed roads it was a tough race.
Well done Lisa - can we please have a race report ?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm

300w and still doing 25km/h, yeh bit of a head wind! :)
Thankfully the wind hung around for the return trip

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:17 pm

elantra wrote:
marinmomma wrote: Absolutely brutal, I did a road race out at Elimbah yesterday afternoon, between the wind and the badly pot holed roads it was a tough race.
Well done Lisa - can we please have a race report ?

Sure, here goes....

Elimbah Women's C grade 32k road race in brutal gusty wind conditions but fine and sunny.
This was the first event in HPRW's women's series so while it was a decent sized bunch, there were a few ladies who had no or minimal racing experience, so the first few k's was sorting out whose wheel to avoid and find the wheel of those ladies that I've raced against before and stay with them!
First left hand turn and it's into the wind and the rollers are upon us along with severely pot holed roads, happy to say that I stayed in the front 10-15 for this section, another left hand turn, out of the wind for a bit but not for long as a right hand turn has us back into the wind...then there is a great downhill roll to the turn around point...time for me to make up a bit of ground to stay in touch with the front ready for the u-turn and the race for home.
Feeling pretty good and happy that I haven't been dropped, battle the head winds and take a turn up the front for a bit and then it's time for the rollers/wind/ and pot holes.
Just lost touch with the bunch on the last pinch (bugger :roll: ) then I found myself alone for the ride back...tucked down and rode as best I could, thank goodness it was essentially a tailwind for this section....did some good speeds and could see another lone rider up ahead, a teammate, so picked her up and we shared the front for the rest of the race and finished about 10-15 seconds behind the bunch.

Average of around 32k, have mixed feelings about my result...a tough course due to the wind and condition of the road.

My Strava link...my heart rate and cadence sensors are playing up at the moment, so hard to judge how I'm tracking with my training etc.

http://app.strava.com/activities/60406116
Lisa

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I live at Elimbah and didn't even know there was a race on. What time was it? I know the road you used, ride it all the time, it's definitely an area for fatter tyres.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 pm

I live at Elimbah and didn't even know there was a race on. What time was it?
Started about 1.30-2pm IIRC.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I live at Elimbah and didn't even know there was a race on. What time was it? I know the road you used, ride it all the time, it's definitely an area for fatter tyres.
How did you miss a hundred or so cyclists rocking up at Elimbah??? :wink:

Started at 1:30, HPRW have a few road races out there during the winter season, I think that the next one due is for club championships only.
Lisa

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 am

marinmomma wrote: Sure, here goes....

Elimbah Women's C grade 32k road race in brutal gusty wind conditions but fine and sunny.
This was the first event in HPRW's women's series so while it was a decent sized bunch, there were a few ladies who had no or minimal racing experience, so the first few k's was sorting out whose wheel to avoid and find the wheel of those ladies that I've raced against before and stay with them!
First left hand turn and it's into the wind and the rollers are upon us along with severely pot holed roads, happy to say that I stayed in the front 10-15 for this section, another left hand turn, out of the wind for a bit but not for long as a right hand turn has us back into the wind...then there is a great downhill roll to the turn around point...time for me to make up a bit of ground to stay in touch with the front ready for the u-turn and the race for home.
Feeling pretty good and happy that I haven't been dropped, battle the head winds and take a turn up the front for a bit and then it's time for the rollers/wind/ and pot holes.
Just lost touch with the bunch on the last pinch (bugger :roll: ) then I found myself alone for the ride back...tucked down and rode as best I could, thank goodness it was essentially a tailwind for this section....did some good speeds and could see another lone rider up ahead, a teammate, so picked her up and we shared the front for the rest of the race and finished about 10-15 seconds behind the bunch.

Average of around 32k, have mixed feelings about my result...a tough course due to the wind and condition of the road.

My Strava link...my heart rate and cadence sensors are playing up at the moment, so hard to judge how I'm tracking with my training etc.

http://app.strava.com/activities/60406116
Well done, I would not have been wanting to race in that wind.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks Crawf, I wasn't thrilled about racing in it either, but I'm keen for the series, so I wasn't going to let that stop me! :roll:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Hopefully the wind isn't there for the TT :P

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Hopefully the wind isn't there for the TT :P
Me too, however the TT is early in the morning so generally speaking its calmer earlier...being out at Closeburn at the end of July it will be flippen freezing 8)
Lisa

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Not ideal weather today, a roaring sou'wester and BITTERLY cold. Finished riding after 11 and still had my arm warmers on.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

marinmomma wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:I live at Elimbah and didn't even know there was a race on. What time was it? I know the road you used, ride it all the time, it's definitely an area for fatter tyres.
How did you miss a hundred or so cyclists rocking up at Elimbah??? :wink:

Started at 1:30, HPRW have a few road races out there during the winter season, I think that the next one due is for club championships only.
I'm just outside town so that's probably why.

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Just to prove that the weather in SE Qld was not uniformly hopeless and dismal all weekend...

here is photo taken this evening at the summit of Mt Coottha, with a small patch of blue-ish sky and some fairdinkum sunlight on Flinders Peak to the south-west.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm

STILL raining on the SUNSHINE coast :(
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 pm

^^^^^ This^^^^^, and it's my RDO tomorrow GRRRR

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Mustang wrote:STILL raining on the SUNSHINE coast :(
Today's defining feature wasn't so much rain but that WIND :shock: .

I would not have enjoyed being out in that, hopefully things settle down a bit tomorrow.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:23 pm

As much as I like riding in the rain I want it to stop so I can head out of town and enjoy some of the fantastic scenery that is on offer just outside of Brisbane and Ipswich http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/237323395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Yeah it's awesome riding out there! Such nice scenery...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 am

Set the alarm last night in hope of getting a ride in early....alarm goes off at 4am and its bucketing down outside...over.it.
Lisa

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:27 pm

marinmomma wrote:Set the alarm last night in hope of getting a ride in early....alarm goes off at 4am and its bucketing down outside...over.it.
In other words, you did not stay up to see Simon Gerrans' momentous win the 3rd stage of the TdF ?

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Argh! Spoiler alert, spoiler alert, I'm watching that tonight! I figured a thread about the SEQ weather would be safe! :wink:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm

elantra wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Set the alarm last night in hope of getting a ride in early....alarm goes off at 4am and its bucketing down outside...over.it.
In other words, you did not stay up to see Simon Gerrans' momentous win the 3rd stage of the TdF ?
If I'd known that it was going to be bucketing down at 4am, maybe, got up to watch the highlights package, a good day for OGE!
Lisa

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Someone has to jinx it, how good is this weather!