How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

queequeg

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby queequeg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 am

woke up at 5am to get ready for my commute. Outside was howling wind and torrential rain.
Result: back to bed for some more sleep, working from home today!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 am

Forgot to mention...my birthday next week sometime...but I had an early visit with presents. I was telling the wife about parts I need to get for the bike soon and she said "do you want your birthday presents now". My reply "well why not, it is really just another day"

Mind you I still had to close the eyes like a little kid before I could get them.

She splashed out :D

A new helmet....same model as the one that saved me when I went head first into the truck tyre last year. At least I know this brand works :)

A new GoPro .... been given explicit instructions that I am only ever to use the full waterproof back cover when it is on the bike. The wife does not want a repeat of the last one :oops:

So both got a go in the rain this morning. Now to give her the guilts on the actual birthday day that I got no presents on my birthday hahahaha...that would be mean wouldnt it

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

Left work earlier than usual last night to get to a grand final I was playing in for the end of the season. We lost. Boo (although not a surprise).

Last evening, because I left early, I saw a fellow commuter who I normally see on the ride to work (and he burns up the hill on his bright green single speed and leaves me labouring in his dust). He wasn't so fast back up the other hill on the way home, probably because of all the lights on Collins St so he couldn't get a run up... Or maybe I had fresher legs in the evening than in the morning... Or maybe it was the passenger who opened their door on the gutter bike lane just a few seconds before he was about to pass...

Or maybe it was the fact that his back tyre went flat...

I saw him heading off the road at the top of the hill to fix up the puncture. And there was glass in the bicycle lane almost at the top of the hill too. I tried to miss it but I think I did run over a bit. No flats thanks to the puncture-resistant tyres (or the puncture fairy was feeling kind as she'd already hit the other guy with a flat so decided to let me off).

It was an absolutely beautiful morning this morning to go riding to work and I really enjoyed the commute. I'm getting used to the cold fingers in the first few minutes of the ride.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 am

Another wet ride this morning, got a decent sprinkle mid way through the ride and then with less than 700 metres to go the rain poured, no bucketed down. It was a go as hard as I could up the tiny blip of a hill that is the end of my daily morning commute.

Yesterday afternoons ride saw me clock over 9000 commute k's so far this year, and then this mornings ride saw me clock over 10 000 riding k's all up for the year. Feelings as fresh as a squashed daisy I reckon I am as a result.....but loving it.

##EDIT: I thought about the above comment about how many k's I have done this year. It isnt about how big the richard is, not into that comparisons....its more that I am amazed at how many k's I am doing given that I only really took up cycling about 2 years ago.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 am

Another beautiful winter's afternoon in Melbourne yesterday, and a good ride back.
Cold but dry this morning, pretty standard and uneventful ride into the Melbourne CBD.

@gretaboy - nicely done! Will we see 20 000km+ from you this year??
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 am

"@gretaboy - nicely done! Will we see 20 000km+ from you this year??
TW - I wont make 20 for the year. I am actually planning to cut the commuting back to three days come the warmer weather. I have decided that I want to give a triathlon a go so will need to work on my swimming in particular. I also plan to get out on the kayak in the mornings to change things up.

So if I can get above my target for the year I will be happy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 am

TailWind wrote:@gretaboy - nicely done!
+1

clicked over 6000kms commuting for the year last night too

wasn't impressed when I got to work this morning. went down to have a shower turned the hot water on, wasn't hot!
so cold shower for me. :oops:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 am

jasonc wrote: clicked over 6000kms commuting for the year last night too
given the few injuries/issues you have had this year...you are doing well

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:06 am

gretaboy wrote:
Stubbornness has it's advantages

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:23 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Stubbornness has it's advantages
Yep, good going despite your stunts! :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:24 am

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am

It was a lovely commute this morning. No issues. I've had a run of no issues with cars. It has been nice.

Beautiful weather in Melbourne too.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:21 pm

For some odd reason I have been feeling a bit flat the last two days - only slightly slower in overall time, but perceived effort has been high. Still, at least I am staying off that wretched excuses thread.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 am

This morning was very nice, just warm enough to go with the sleeveless jacket which I have to carry if it is cold in the morning as it is too hot for me in the evening. Got a nice run with the traffic lights this evening too.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 am

wet roads commutes both last night and this morning. last night I saw a few guys pulled over near the go between bridge on the bicentennial bikeway (under the coro drive overpass). I see one guy changing a tyre. Second looks shows me it's a mate of mine. I pull over and offer assistance. So he's gone through 2 canisters and 1 tube. I pull out my proper pump and after a few minutes he's on his way.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:51 am

Apart from a few drops near the end, I missed the rain on the way home yesterday. This mornings ride was dry but wet roads still. The crud on the bike is building up again but I dont think I will need to hire a jack hammer to get it off this time.

Was nearly tempted to not ride today. Got to leave early today to ensure I get home on time to go somewhere, and I was thinking that if I get a flat, knock on wood, on the way home it will really put in me a bad timing situation. That plus the ever present rain threat had me thinking just take the car. So despite what one half of the brain was saying, I listened to the other half which said dont be a lazy git. In winter it takes me ten to fifteen k's to get into a ride, but once I do I am always grateful I made the effort to ride.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:22 am

Uneventful ride back via MYT through Greensborough yesterday afternoon.
Bit of mist around this morning, warmer and a ride without incident. Possibility of showers this afternoon, so I came prepared....

Happy Friday! :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am

gretaboy wrote:Was nearly tempted to not ride today. Got to leave early today to ensure I get home on time to go somewhere, and I was thinking that if I get a flat, knock on wood, on the way home it will really put in me a bad timing situation. That plus the ever present rain threat had me thinking just take the car. So despite what one half of the brain was saying, I listened to the other half which said dont be a lazy git. In winter it takes me ten to fifteen k's to get into a ride, but once I do I am always grateful I made the effort to ride.
That was me on Tuesday - freaking out about getting a flat when I really needed to get home quickly. Luckily the puncture fairy gave the flat to the cyclist in front of me so all was good. :twisted:

Nice ride home last night and to work this morning. People behaving themselves (mostly). Had a car fail to indicate he was illegally parking just where the Collins St gutter bike lane moves right to allow a line of parked cars this morning. I was watching his wheels though and picked it early. Still, please use those things called indicators, even if you think there is no-one there.

The bike has gone in for a service with a new chain and cassette I sourced online myself (hopefully they fit!). I chose a red and silver chain. Not quite the burgundy of the bike but it'll stand out a bit better than the plain silver chain (although the red will quickly disappear under the gunk). First service since I bought it 18 months ago. Whoops! (I didn't get a free service from the place I bought it because they were too far away and it would mean I couldn't have the bike for a whole week. No thanks). :P

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 am

Rode in using a pair of Wellgo flat pedals I borrowed from my dad. Longest ride I've done without cleats in years.

Wasn't a fan to be honest :lol:
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:24 pm

My second day of commute for this week. I felt weak after 3 days of break :(

Here is the Wet Commute Video this morning.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:12 am

Lesson learned, EOFY Drinks etc at work last night makes for an interesting ride home with a gut full of pizza (yum) and coke. Sluggish and burping every minute- thankfully no one around to witness my painfull progress home. Did meet two bogans on the PSP just north of Reid Highway riding a minibike without lights (they were rolling down the hill with the engine off), they had the nerve to complain about my lights...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 am

Last Friday was a bit weird, it seemed to be the day for parking in the bike lane. 3 of them on the way home: 2 cars and one truck. 1 on StKilda Rd and 2 on Beach Rd. Not only do they mean I have to ride out in the left lane but the cars don't fit so they block part of the left lane as well. I really feel like stopping and asking them why they are so selfish.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 am

Rode back via my brother's place on Friday, then home without incident.
Warm in Melbourne this morning, in the double digits, laid-back ride into the CBD as befits a Monday morning.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 am

On friday I left work at lunchtime in an effort to try and beat the big rain clouds that were on the BOM..well that didnt work. Got 700 metres or so from the office and it bucketed down on me for the next 2 k's. I just started laughing at myself. After the big pour it was reasonably fine with only a little sprinkle here and there. Once I got hom it did start to pour again so I guess I was lucky.

This morning, the BOM showed a "clear" sky with no rain. Must be someone at the bureau having a good laugh at me...it rained during the ride, not that hard but I still got wet. All up though, my rides have been incident free, and hopefully will remain that way.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:56 pm

The bike got a well overdue service from the LBS on Friday, including replacing the well worn chain and cassette. My bike now has a lovely silver and red chain. Not sure how long that'll last before the colour is obscured by road muck. Bad news was the LBS says that the rear wheel's freehub looks like it'll die at any point in time (resulting in me pedalling with no corresponding transference to the wheel) and they can't source a replacement hub for those particular wheels (considering they've only done about 3000kms from new I think it may be better to replace the wheelset than try and source a new compatible hub, not that I know much about these things anyway). The guy in the store was trying to show me the gritty noise the wheel was making to show there were issues but I couldn't hear it very well, although I definitely noticed a difference in the wheel from bringing the bike in to riding it home so maybe the dirt had been masking the issue. And jeez they set the brakes tight!

Anyway, maintenance issues aside - The bike was lovely and shifted nicely on the way home on Friday with the new cassette and chain and the ride was fairly uneventful (well, you'd hope so riding home at 10PM on a Friday night after an EOFY firm dinner - no burping though, unlike CXCommuter :P).

Then on Saturday I pulled off the old bar tape (which I'd mangled trying to put the rear-vision mirror on ages ago... Plus it wasn't rainbow) and re-wrapped with my new Cinelli Black with Kaleidoscope. The subtle colours in the tape perforations look great! My partner timed me and said it took me 2 hours to do one side. :oops: What can I say? It was my first time... And the old bar tape adhesive was extremely strong and left lots and lots of cork on the bars... And I had to wrap the rear vision mirror under the tape and make sure I wrapped properly. Apparently it then only took an hour to do the other side (although I didn't wrap as conservatively and was short by about 0.5cm. Ah well.)

It made me happy to ride the bike into work today with the rainbow in my hands. :P Especially when most cars were behaving themselves. Pity my engine felt like it needed a tune-up. Nice temperature too. :)