Looking for a new road bike

dampier

Looking for a new road bike

Postby dampier » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi,
I had an accident and my Trek 105 Ally was written off. Got a replacement quote from my LBS (for once, very grateful for the upgraded replacement prices) and have ended up with a check for $3500.

I am looking for a replacement road bike, probably Di2 and carbon. I tend to sit on 38kph, 400km per week and I can be a bit hard on the bike (I broke a seat post once when I wasn't properly clipped in), so I am looking at a decent frame first. The rest I can change as required.

I will not be able to ride for at least another week, a few cracked bones in the shoulder area, so I have been window shopping. I have never ridden on a carbon frame or with an electronic group set so if there is any problems or things that I should be aware of it would be appreciated.

I am looking at

Trek Madone from TBE ($4000)http://www.tbe.com.au/products/trek-mad ... 13/173351/
GIANT TCR ADVANCED 0 2013 ($3199) http://www.tbe.com.au/products/giant-tc ... 13/173809/
Malvern Star Oppy DI2 2013 ($2599) http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102258142
Merida Scultura Comp 905-E 2013 ($2599) http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102258163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avanti Cadent Di2 2012 ($2699) http://www.avantipluscannington.com.au/ ... /102258062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and also considering a bike build from Ribble , about $3000.

I have read all the reviews, but they tend to be glowing rather than critical. Has anybody ridden these bikes or similar? Is it worth waiting for the new models? Are there other models?
Is it worth buying a bike from overseas?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Derny Driver

Re: Looking for a new road bike

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

My young bloke has a Team issue C7 Malvern Star (2011) with mechanical Ultegra and LOVES it. The frame is super light and the performance is superb, up hill, down, cornering, sprinting..... just beautiful to ride. My son races all the State Opens on it and A grade at our club and it is just brilliant. The Ultegra Di2 gets a good rap from my mates too, if you like Di2 (I prefer mechanical myself). The great thing with MS too is the support you get from this company. I have had the frame replaced due to a paint crack - this took less than a week, no questions asked, no hassle - they are amazing people there in the Head Office in Melbourne. Great value for money, for me, I would choose Malvern Star every time, I am a big fan of their bikes.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm

I have a 2010 Oppy C7 and it's a great bike. Absolutely smashes the corners and climbs very well. It's my first carbon frame and it isn't actually as smooth as I was expecting, certainly not as harsh as the aluminium Scott it replaced but not the magic carpet I had been lead to expect by all the rapturous reviews of carbon bikes.

From what I've heard the model that replaced mine is both stiffer and more comfortable.

If it was me i'd be getting a test ride on as many of those as possible and just seeing which suits you the best, riding them is the only way to find out. Looks wise I would pick the Avanti, they look great.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

vander

Postby vander » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I know its not helping narrow it down, but have a look at what focus have to offer, great bikes.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 am

Keep an eye open for events like the Scott demo day, when you can take bikes for a decent test ride:

Rode a Scott CR1 with Di2 and absolutely hated it, got 3km into a ride and knew this bike was not for me:
1. Relaxed geometry = sitting bolt upright and the handling was atrocious
2. Di2 does not give you any feedback through your hands

Went back and swapped if for a Team edition Foil, with DA9000, I didn't want to give it back after giving it a good run over a few local roads for 90 minutes. A race weapon, I really enjoyed riding and was so close to buying one. But even with the currently discounted price of $5.5k it is outside your budget,

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 am

nickobec wrote: Rode a Scott CR1 with Di2 and absolutely hated it
Great example of what I was talking about, CR1s have the same geometry as the Speedster which is what I rode for 4 years and really liked. Everyone is different.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am

I don't find a lot of difference between a well tuned mechanical gear system and Di2.

But Di2 and its auto trimming is nice. :)

As for the bikes, unless your flexibility is really poor, don't get too caught up with relaxed geometry and race geometry. Both my bikes have race style geometry and I find both of them quite comfortable. A good bike fit will do wonders too.

The Giant I have, it's damn near an extension of my body. It is just amazing to ride.

The Trek is probably not worth $4000. Plus it is an ugly, boxy thing IMO. The LBS mechanic was showing me his when I last was in the shop, and I knew then I probably didn't want one.

I was looking at also a TT bike, but ended up going with the Giant.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Throw in another $499 and you could get a 2013 BMC RM01 with Ultegra on special with a bonus Garmin 500.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 pm

How do you get a $3500 cheque to replace a Trek 105 Ally bike ... or am I missing something here? :?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

dampier

Postby dampier » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:24 pm

It was mainly due to upgrades (only shifters were 105), wheels and a broken garmin 800.

Ryven

Postby Ryven » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 pm

The Cadent's were a good price for Di2, though you may want to check what size frames they have left, their site does list all, however they only had a couple in store and I recall them being smaller sizes.

Otherwise the Trek's may be ugly, but I do like their dedication to aerodynamics, with things like the integrated brakes and cadence sensor fittings.

Bob Knott

Postby Bob Knott » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:20 pm

I am looking for a flat bar bike, and am considering the Cannondale Quick. Any comments?

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Bob_TAS wrote:Throw in another $499 and you could get a 2013 BMC RM01 with Ultegra on special with a bonus Garmin 500.
yea, I bought the 2012 model last July and I absolutely love it.

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:55 pm

dampier wrote:Hi,
I had an accident and my Trek 105 Ally was written off. Got a replacement quote from my LBS (for once, very grateful for the upgraded replacement prices) and have ended up with a check for $3500.

I am looking for a replacement road bike, probably Di2 and carbon. I tend to sit on 38kph, 400km per week and I can be a bit hard on the bike (I broke a seat post once when I wasn't properly clipped in), so I am looking at a decent frame first. The rest I can change as required.

I will not be able to ride for at least another week, a few cracked bones in the shoulder area, so I have been window shopping. I have never ridden on a carbon frame or with an electronic group set so if there is any problems or things that I should be aware of it would be appreciated.

I am looking at

Trek Madone from TBE ($4000)http://www.tbe.com.au/products/trek-mad ... 13/173351/
GIANT TCR ADVANCED 0 2013 ($3199) http://www.tbe.com.au/products/giant-tc ... 13/173809/
Malvern Star Oppy DI2 2013 ($2599) http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102258142
Merida Scultura Comp 905-E 2013 ($2599) http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102258163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avanti Cadent Di2 2012 ($2699) http://www.avantipluscannington.com.au/ ... /102258062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and also considering a bike build from Ribble , about $3000.

I have read all the reviews, but they tend to be glowing rather than critical. Has anybody ridden these bikes or similar? Is it worth waiting for the new models? Are there other models?
Is it worth buying a bike from overseas?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Have a look at the Ribble HF83. This frame is a Dedacciai open mold model and the exact frame is being sold for $2000+ by several other bike manufacturers throughout Europe. I believe it is made in the same factory as Pinarello (Not Chinarello). I purchased the frame and fork for a little over $1000 delivered. very light, nice paint job and the unidirectional carbon looks the bomb!

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:07 pm

I recently bought a Giant Defy Advanced 0 and have been very impressed with it. You're going to love riding a carbon bike with Di2. Unfortunately I can't really give you any recommendations on any of the other options.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 am

The BMC seems like a good deal.

The giants aren't actually that light. My Advanced SL3 is 7.6kg with bottle cages and K-Edge on it. I'd have liked to get it down in weight a bit more, but not sure where to start.

Dimis

Postby Dimis » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:05 am

g-boaf wrote:The BMC seems like a good deal.

The giants aren't actually that light. My Advanced SL3 is 7.6kg with bottle cages and K-Edge on it. I'd have liked to get it down in weight a bit more, but not sure where to start.

You bet ya on the BMCs.

I'm currently riding an SLR01 Team machine, actually bought 2 they were that good, one to go racing with (which just never happened). Hands down best bike I've had the privilege of sitting my ar$e on, and I've sat on quite a few.

Light enough (6.7kg with old Aksiums, 6.00kg with Reynolds carbon 46 Tubs - this includes pedals & cages). Fast and stiff, Climbs, accelerates all very well, agile yet very stable and comfortable. The "TCC" and "polymer seat post" system(or whatever they call it) dampen more vibration than you'd think possible, and the geometry is ever so slightly more upright, which just suits me. Its just a very well balanced bike, and as you described yours an extension of my body.

As for your bike's diet, I recommend starting with wheels, then personally I'd go group-set, starting with cranks & rear cassette (losing the Di2 & battery and going mechanical will save you some also), then you can look at the other non-moving parts; seat, handlebars, skewers etc...

To be fair though 7.6kg is not that bad.
I'll bet you get pretty close to UCI limit just by changing the wheels.
It kind of all depends on how much you want to spend?
Easier and cheaper just to lose a kg. or carry one less water bottle ;)

To the OP, best of luck with your "problem", plenty of good bikes out there to chose from.

Enjoy

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm finding it hard to lose a kilo mate, I go between 60 and 61kg. :D :D :D

I'm open to suggestions on wheels since I just use the standard Giant PSL0 wheels. I'm not fussed with deep aero wheels, I already have those and for most situations, don't need them. I like using normal wheels and overtaking the people with the big aero wheels on high speed sections. Di2 is non-negotiable, love that too much to give it away. I'd thought of the cranks as well.

The Giant however, despite its weight is a lovely bike. Some else I know has a BMC which is very light as well.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:43 pm

Bob Knott wrote:I am looking for a flat bar bike, and am considering the Cannondale Quick. Any comments?
probably worth starting your own thread bob. plenty of flat-bar related threads in the "Buying a part/bikes" topic