GP4000S not puncture resistant...

Rex

Re: GP4000S not puncture resistant...

Postby Rex » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 pm

My GP4000's have punctured every week for the past 5 or so weeks.

Thats life, wouldn't replace them with anything else.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Been trying different road tyres to see which ones are best for dealing with all the debris on the road these days...

Maxxis detonators (oem on bike) suffered multiple punctures.

Maxxis re-fuse were bullet proof over several thousand km; including suffering slices and embedded glass fragments without a single puncture. They did roll a bit slower.

Continental GP4000s failed within a couple of hundred km's of new; first piece of real debris left the side wall cut through. They are light and roll fast, but they don't resist punctures at all.

I am going to stick with the Maxxis re-fuses for my general purpose road bike...
Track down a set of vredestein fortezza tricomp quattro tyres (has to be the quattro version) - they are tough and still reasonably fast which is a pretty good compromise for someone who wants to only run one set of tyres.

As a general rule, the faster the tyre, the worse the puncture protection and the quicker they wear.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Fresco73

Postby Fresco73 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Even Maxxis refuse flat, so I've found any rate. currently run detonator on the rear and refuse up front. in both i cut the valve out of an old tube and slice it along the inner radius so as to wrap the new tube/line the tire. certainly won't say it's a definite ( hate to hex ones self and all) but am happily winding up the k's trouble free. As for Gps i always found use for my pump.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 am

jacks1071 wrote:
brett.hooker wrote:Been trying different road tyres to see which ones are best for dealing with all the debris on the road these days...

Maxxis detonators (oem on bike) suffered multiple punctures.

Maxxis re-fuse were bullet proof over several thousand km; including suffering slices and embedded glass fragments without a single puncture. They did roll a bit slower.

Continental GP4000s failed within a couple of hundred km's of new; first piece of real debris left the side wall cut through. They are light and roll fast, but they don't resist punctures at all.

I am going to stick with the Maxxis re-fuses for my general purpose road bike...
Track down a set of vredestein fortezza tricomp quattro tyres (has to be the quattro version) - they are tough and still reasonably fast which is a pretty good compromise for someone who wants to only run one set of tyres.

As a general rule, the faster the tyre, the worse the puncture protection and the quicker they wear.
I have been a fan of the Verdestein range for the last 3 years.

Tricomp are a great race tire but do cut up a bit. Which can be bit pain in the wet when it picks up the bit of rubbish which leads to punctures.

Tried the Quattro's last winter and man was I impressed. Handled like the race version but way more puncture resistant. You do pay a weight penalty but when it's wet and cold I would rather push more weight but still move.

They do have a new version of the Tricomp called feccetta (I may have spelt that wrong) which is actually a wet weather version of the race tire. Need to watch out for this as it's not as puncture resistant as the Quattro's
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Charlesincharge

Postby Charlesincharge » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Was considering gagging a set of 4000's but a little hesitant free reading all this. Can anyone comment on the puncture resistance of the pro race's (my next option on the list)?

-Charlie

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Gp4000s were awesome during daytime when I could generally see what "bogan dust" was on the road. The rolling surface is pretty tough. The side walls are very thin though; and would appear to be where they get their weight savings. If you want a fast rolling light, grippy tyre for a good price, I would still recommend the gp4000s. And I will use them on my light weight wheels.

However, if you ride roads and cycle ways with a lot of debris on them, then maybe something else would be a good choice. I am personally going to use the re-fuses for my general purpose riding for the meantime. I will track down some of the quattros mentioned above and give them a crack too...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am

Charlesincharge wrote:Was considering gagging a set of 4000's but a little hesitant free reading all this. Can anyone comment on the puncture resistance of the pro race's (my next option on the list)?

-Charlie
I find pro race's faster but even more fragile.Generally race type tyres puncture easy, they are not every day tyres.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am

Charlesincharge wrote:Was considering gagging a set of 4000's but a little hesitant free reading all this. Can anyone comment on the puncture resistance of the pro race's (my next option on the list)?

-Charlie
As pointed out above, the pro race are more fragile than GP4000's. If I raced, I would happily do so on pro races but I wouldnt ride them on the road.

FWIW, I went from Conti ultra-sports which were puncturing every other ride to GP4000's and havent flatted since. Same roads/conditions as normal, el cheapo tubes (tioga). Love em.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 pm

i have gp4000's on my road bike, great tyre love em.

I use gp4seasons on my commuter bike in 28mm version. the compound is softer than the gp4000s so it is great in wet weather, does wear out a bit quicker but i dont mind that if it keeps me upright, they also have an extra layer of protection (vectran belt and dura skin)

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle ... on_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:59 pm

I ran my previous set of GP4000s for 3000km with only one puncture, and it was really only because the inner tube fell apart. My current set of GP4000s have done 2000km no punctures. They're great!

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 pm

I've seen people use Vittoria Randonour tyre and completly use the tread down to the orange breaker strip and even through to the kevlar and still had no punctures for around 10,000km and 4 years. These are claimed to be the best at puncture resistance but are only in 25mm at the smallest.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:00 pm

And ride like bricks.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Re-fuses on my roadie. They've been great, even doing their share of commuting with the usual crap on streets and paths.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Another GP4000s (black chilli) fan boy here. I keep careful records of mileage between punctures, and on average the
GP4000s give me double what anything else has achieved (3000 km between flats). Including Maxxis Refuse
(average 1500 km between flats).

You can be unlucky. One set of GP4000s got a puncture after approx 200 km. But id didn't get another for 3500 km, and the
long run average of 3000 km per flat has been maintained. Another GP4000s had a sidewall split after just 40 km -
it was an obvious manufacturing defect and was promptly replaced by Wiggle. I've had no other sidewall punctures in
25,000 km of riding GP4000s.

Nothing is bullet-proof, but they're the most puncture resistant 700 x 23c tyre I've used.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Mozzar wrote:I've seen people use Vittoria Randonour tyre and completly use the tread down to the orange breaker strip and even through to the kevlar and still had no punctures for around 10,000km and 4 years. These are claimed to be the best at puncture resistance but are only in 25mm at the smallest.
And yet I can't get more than about 4,500km out of them (on the rear wheel). Also had a puncture in one. OTOH, I've got a Continental Contact Reflex on the front which refuses to quit. It's done more than 16,000km and has never had a puncture. Still has the original tube in it. It's been on there so long that it is starting to crack. I'm hoping it'll last to 20k, but even if it doesn't, I'm very happy with the service it has given. When the time comes, it'll be replaced by a Schwalbe Marathon.

Anyhow, this thread was about the GP4000...
wombatK wrote:Nothing is bullet-proof, but they're the most puncture resistant 700 x 23c tyre I've used.
That's exactly my experience as well.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 pm

I use Conti Gatorskins with great success & durability. There is no such thing as a fully puncture-proof tyre short of solid rubber, but Gators are among the better ones.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm

I dunno why youre worried about buying GP4000s tyres - they are as reliable as any other. I got a box-packaging staple caught in mine on a 90km ride yesterday - first I knew of it was the tick as the staple flicked the frame on each wheel revolution. Fearing the worst I pulled it out to find the tyre had stopped it penetrating so I rode on.

All tyres will puncture it is down to luck for the most part.

Mine have now done many miles (2500km) without a puncture.

Sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

fonts

Postby fonts » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:24 pm

I had 3 punctures in 1 week on gp4000s. Then again I also had 1000s of KM's on the previous set that saw me through many horrible road surfaces and punishment.

It all comes down to pure luck most of the time. Always remember the puncture fairy visits in 3's - don't try and fight her.. You won't win :) she will get you

In this instance the first 2 were just small punctures. The third was however catastrophic. Down hill at 55 kphish. It sounded like fireworks going off. Luckily it was the rear however it tore the sidewall and half into the middle band. No repair possible on this one.

gromek

Postby gromek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 pm

I rode about 3000km's on Conti Attack/Force Tyres without a single puncture :lol:
They are worn completely through all the rubber in places so considering replacing soon with gp400's

osrg

Postby osrg » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Over 12,500kms traveled over 3 sets of GP4000s's..... All types of road conditions, from as far west as Gayndah, South to Murwillumbah, North to Hervey Bay... and everything inbetween... 2 punctures. I'll take that. My belief is that if you aren't diligent in scanning the road for debris, well, you get what is coming to you. Oh, and the puncture gods will have their say.... good or bad. Luck is always involved.

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm

if you want gp4000s witha little more puincture protection look at the gp4seasons, i have them on my commuter bike in a 28.

Unbelievably grippy, might wear out a little quicker but i am prepared to pay for that to keep the shiny side up :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

pjt

Postby pjt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm

If you want a combination of a race tyre and durability, after trying all sorts I always come back to the Grand Prix 4-Seasons. Pricier than the 4000 series, but the extra money is well spent as it's a durable, fast, well wearing tyre.

The only disadvantage I've found is that the ride quality isn't fantastic - not as good as for e.g. a Michelin Pro3 Race or Vittoria Open Pave - but Contis have always been a bit stiffer/harsher riding than other brands.

Oh, and they measure narrow! A "700x28c" 4-Seasons is actually only about 26.5mm wide on an Open Pro rim :( Michelins seem to run wide, my "700x25c" Pro3 race measures 27mm!

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Puncture fairy got the gp4000s again yesterday... I love how fast they roll, just no luck with keeping them inflated... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Cleaned my cervelo today. Checked out the rear GP4000S. Multiple cuts and nicks in the tread and the wear indicators still (just) showing.
Pretty happy considering the tyre is a rear that has done almost 3k km and has never flatted. Another month or so and I'll bin it and slap another 4000S on there. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:07 pm

I've just clocked up 7000km's on a pair of GP4000's. Might get another 1000. Tons of life left on the front. Wear indicators still visible on the back but squared off and slightly perished looking.
Not too much crap on the roads around here. 2 punctures, both rear, both in the wet. Riding mostly on blue metal chip surface. I weigh 64kg's.
Pretty happy with mileage, wear and reliability.
I'm carrying a spare foldable GP4000 strapped to my saddle just in case the back tyre suddenly gives up the ghost.
I had ridden around 6000km before the first puncture.