FOUND: Road bike, stolen from Sandringham

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
jeremyk

FOUND: Road bike, stolen from Sandringham

Postby jeremyk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 am

Hi,

I bought a bike from a couple of guys who said they stole it from Sandringham.

The bike is worth several thousand dollars from my research and I would like to return it to the owner if possible. I bought it for $150.

The owner will need to know the make, colour and model and reimburse the $150.

Jeremy

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FOUND: Road bike, stolen from Sandringham

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:14 am

Hi,
There was a recent story about something similar and someone put it on gumtree trying to find the original owner. I approach this with mixed feelings.

What I don't understand is that if it is stolen - why give the thieves money instead of involving the police? I realised the difficulty of the situation that the person who has lost a valuable bike may be willing to pay this amount however it still means that the thieves are successful, and will continue as it is profitable. If there seemed to be no other option to ensure that the bike wasn't lost forever, was this reported to the police afterwards and details of the thieves passed on?

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 am

Knowing that it is stolen, if you do not take it to the coppers, then you place yourself in a vulnerable position. Advertising that you have it on here for return to the legitimate owner isn't good enough. Further to that, by asking for a reward upon return, you are committing a crime.

Why not do the right thing by providing the coppers with the details of the ***** you bought it off, they may get caught and if they have stolen one bike, I'd reckon they've been up to quite a bit of no good.

I'm sure your local police station is not too far away...

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 pm

This could also be a good scam, something like: Go and nick a bike, try to find an owner and use the story above to gain financial reward for a 'good deed'. I hope that the OP is not doing this and is genuinely trying to help.

Plus one for turn it in to the cops.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Hmmmm. I believe that by receiving goods known to be stolen this person may be charged as an "accessory after the fact", an offense which attracts a penalty of up to two years imprisonment.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm

bychosis wrote:This could also be a good scam, something like: Go and nick a bike, try to find an owner and use the story above to gain financial reward for a 'good deed'. I hope that the OP is not doing this and is genuinely trying to help.
That's what I thought with the first one on Gumtree - scam by the thief. Frankly if someone knowingly buys stolen goods then they shouldn't get anything in return. They are helping the thieves to keep stealing. Even if you didn't know you were buying stolen goods you will still lose any money you paid for the goods if the police identify the goods as stolen.

Not worth the heartache.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 pm

-1 for buying it in the first place. Whilst there may well be a noble intention to have it returned to it's original owner, that fact you bought it in the first place just encourages the person that took it in the first place doing so.

+1 for rolling it into the local cop shop, thats by far the most likely way to get it into the owners hands. And if it doesnt get claimed, you can always get it back and legitimately own it. Is the outcome of being charged with being in possession of stolen goods worth less than $150 to you? If so then carry on and never mind me.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

jeremyk

Postby jeremyk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:29 pm

I bought it last night at about 8pm, in Prahran, whilst locking my bike up. My bike is worth about 1/3 of the cost of this one. Having a look at the bike with zero inspection I knew that it was worth a lot of money. I also had a suspicion that it was stolen. The parts alone, are all racing spec and the clip ins are worth more than $150. (I won't say what they are because I don't want someone to trick me into thinking that it's their bike.) If you dismantle, scratch off any marks (I believe there is some) and sell the bike it is worth a fair amount of money. I would prefer to give someone back a beautiful bike then for it to be chopped up. The lesser of two evils I think.

If it was your bike and I did the same what would you say?

I have taken these proactive steps in finding the owner, before involving the police, I have had no time yet to go in at that time as I was cooking dinner for family and had work all today (why I was at the super market). I made a gum tree post (gum tree took it down), shared it on facebook and then found this forum at the first available opportunity. A detective from the area has contacted me and I will be co-operating with them.

The -1's and all that is insulting though. I won't be doing this again in the future. I just hope next time it's not one of your bikes. Shame on you for making me feel I have done the wrong thing.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:45 pm

If the bike is worth anything then the original owners probably have already collected their insurance payout. No need to give them the bike as well.

jeremyk

Postby jeremyk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Just incase anyone was curious, the bike has been handed into police, after a detailed statement was provided.

I hope that the person who's bike it is claims it and returns the $150 I spent to get it back for them. I can provide the details of where the bike is to the rightful owner they just need to contact me.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you for the update - well done jeremyk. This is the right move. I received a note from the authorities that they have the bike and have located the original owner.

For the reasons mentioned in my initial post this was unusual and it wasn't clear whether it was genuine plus it is also not recommend even though when you are put on the spot then you have chosen a solution which you felt was best with the true owner in mind.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA