How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Summernight wrote:considering they've only done about 3000kms from new I think it may be better to replace the wheelset than try and source a new compatible hub,
3k from a rear hub is crap. i'd be going to where I purchased it from and asking for a replacement

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:considering they've only done about 3000kms from new I think it may be better to replace the wheelset than try and source a new compatible hub,
3k from a rear hub is crap. i'd be going to where I purchased it from and asking for a replacement
Hmmm. I tried that avenue with the LBS I bought the bike (complete with these wheels) from when the FSA bottom bracket broke. They blamed the all-weather usage and refused to replace. I'm not keen on trying to hit them up again this time for a replacement hub as their previous efforts were woeful and I'm pretty sure they'll blame me.

Maybe after I've got a new set of wheels on the bike I'll give them a call. What were the Pro-Lite ones people were recommending for all weather commuting again? Needs to be strong but not too heavy and I'd prefer something okay for heavier people as I'm riding with quite a payload (in the backpack, sheesh :P).

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm

I have the pro-lite como - $170 delivered. closing in on 15000kms on them. they are heavy - around 2.1kgs. but are good for 120kgs

i also have the bracciano but i wouldn't recommend them for load lugging.

in between: http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Combined Weight 1670g

website says: " We are pleased to recommended this wheelset for riders up to 110kg."

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Today, I wore no shoe covers, no waterproof over-jacket, and didn't clip on the mudguards, so naturally I got rained on the whole way home from work :roll: . Then I clipped the mudguards on after getting home, and just checked the weather report for tomorrow. What's that? No rain predicted? :lol: Oh well, some days cr@p happens, and I still enjoyed my commute home, because I love cycling.

I wiped the bike, especially the chain, and have the shoes sitting with newspaper stuffed in them (about the only useful thing about having an old copy of the Feral Hun lying around at home).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Perth:

After a week nursing an infected knee I got back to commuting in the saddle. And it felt great, though I did pick a doozy of a day for a sandgroper used to warm weather - 4 degrees and frost in the dark under a bright headlamp has a little magic about it.

Followed it up with the full ride home, again in the dark, remarkably just in the singlet it was so mild.

40 glorious kms. I've six days of lost time to make up for now and I am looking forward to more of the same tomorrow. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:23 am

A couple of detours on the way back yesterday afternoon. The MYT on the north bank was closed between Punt Rd and Burnley Harbour, and closer to home, Tasman Drive was closed under the M80 Ring Rd and will remain closed for a couple of weeks. The works there have really stuffed up the commute along this section - the shared path along the M80 along that stretch has been closed since the beginning of the year, and Tasman Drive gets closed every so often. Anyway, detoured along Dalton Rd via Epping.
Warm again this morning, with a bit of wind around, but otherwise uneventful ride in to the Melb CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:40 am

What a glorious morning! The only thing missing was my mate, Wally, the wallaby that sits atop Haunted Hills Rd some mornings. Perhaps the car that went past just ahead of me scared him off. But I got to say good morning to Foxy Loxy a little further along.

Actually, the worst thing about this morning's commute was having to stop twice, once to shed the ear muffs and the second time to shed my jacket because it was unseasonably warm.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 am

Well I nearly got what I have been wishing for...a freezing cold morning but clear. Was cold and clearish...some dark clouds were hanging around and I did get a few sprinkles, but nothing alarming.

Got to check the video footage to see if I had a cigarette butt flicked at me from a work vehicle but apart from that the ride was uneventful.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am

Surprisingly felt okay yesterdays commutes after the Cyclosportif efforts on Sunday. Did have to stop myself undertaking several CCR efforts as I know this is a big week (and month). Chilly this morning (low lying areas had some frost) and the last two days of riding has caught up to me, stiff and lacking energy I cruised in today, hoping to gradually improve over the next day or two. Appreciated the windproof Campag gloves and booties which kept everything warm and toasty but the ears copped a hammering.
Summernight have a look at the ProLites- I have the Braccianos and they have been faultless (6000k and counting), the Merano's look a good commuting compromise

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks guys. Will look into those wheels.

I forgot that we got rain down here in Melbourne. After having such a lovely week or so without it I was about to leave last night, looked out the window and went "What is that stuff? No! It couldn't be...Rain?"

Lots of cyclists taking the backstreet detour due to the MYT pontoon closure this morning. I was driving home after swimming and it was like a procession on that backstreet in Cremorne. The pontoons looked abandoned without the regular flow of cyclists and pedestrians.

Managed to clock ~40kph on the flat this morning on Albert St just after Hoddle which I was shocked about. I had a good cyclist drafting me too. Me being drafted? Amazing. Of course I completely died when I reached the little Albert Street hill two blocks later and said cyclist zoomed past me as I'm slowing down to die but I'm going to claim I was interval training. Yeah, we'll go with that. :P

And then I got to work and was changing and realised I'd left out of my bag a couple of important items like a work shirt and... ahem... underthings. Luckily I had spares in the office for just such an occasion. :oops:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 am

Summernight,
Know how you feel, several weeks ago I borrowed my belt from work and promptly forgot to bring it in with me on the Monday and I had my old work trousers (two sizes too large). All day I had to walk around feeling like either in clown pants or an extra in an old war movie. When walking at least one hand had to stay in a pocket to keep my pants on.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 pm

School holidays here at the mo. Amazing how much less traffic there is in the morning after night shift. So much more pleasant.
Nice ride in tonight. Knee warmers and bib knicks instead of bib longs. The days are getting longer too post the winter solstice. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:13 am

after two days at home (yesterday I got as far as downstairs) I made it to work today.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:15 am

what a cracker of a day...NO RAIN. Yeah baby...finally

It was cold tho and had plenty of thick fog. At one point on the ride it was that cold, how cold you ask...well it was that cold that I got a brain freeze headache briefly. One electric sign said -1 at 7:19..how accurate got to wonder especially at that time of morning. But it didnt rain on me so I was a happy chappy.

And the days are getting longer too it seems. Bring on summer

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 am

Regular Tuesday ride via MYT, Greensborough etc. Not particularly quick, had a northerly headwind to contend with.
Cooler this morning than the last few days in Melbourne, but dry, and the northerly was still around to blow me into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am

No summer! Keep the winter/autumn temperatures and I'll be a happy lady. :P

Lovely ride home last night and ride in this morning (apart from the headwind). The school holiday traffic is wonderful. :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 am

Miserable ride in this morning. Bucketing down rain and the radar showing no respite and the commuter in the shop for it's annual service I ditched the idea of using the Jamis (good bike) and pulled out the trusty old MTB forgetting it is set up for SWMBO to ride. Short stem, seat all the way forward and flat pedals. Threw some lights on and set the saddle higher and headed off in joggers and full wet weather gear. The rain eased a bit but the dirt and water on the PSP was thrown in the air by the bikes big slick tires and all over me, apparently attracted to my face principally. Arrived at work with a full dose of probiotics and a mud facial exhausted from fighting with the bike the whole way. NOT looking forward to the return trip. Thankfully the commuter gets picked up tomorrow night (from whence it will stop raining)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

CXCommuter wrote:... and pulled out the trusty old MTB forgetting it is set up for SWMBO to ride. Short stem, seat all the way forward and flat pedals.
Isnt it just an awful feeling when your not riding your "normal" bike and you try and put up with a setup that isnt for you. Especially pedals which arent clip ins...I myself find flat pedals hard to use now, I am so used to clipins..I find my feet move around too much on flat pedals

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:46 am

It was a toasty 1.2 degrees when I rode in this morning at moderate pace and with an ultra-light summer jersey under my cheap but very effective Pabacini (?) long-sleeved jersey, just $35 from Cell. It's amazing how some half-decent gear and my bizarre body temperature is making my first Canberra winter a snug affair; the less absorbent light jersey showed that I was sweating quite heavily on arrival and walking into the building wearing just short-sleeved light lycra got some strange looks on a day when fog means that it hasn't reached 3 degrees by 11.30 AM!

The big lesson I have learned is that keeping the legs warm - not something that has been an issue in Sydney - is important when it gets colder. D'oh! I'm planning to do Stelvio and Gavia Passes in Europe in a few months and it's funny to think that my regular Aussie commuter gear should be more than warm enough.

This city is fantastic for cycling. Drivers are friendly (close to the city anyway), there's some great bike paths I could use if it wasn't for the cyclists with possum burning searchlights that turn the eyes of oncoming riders into molten pools of pussey pupils, and the closest I've come to an incident has been the roos living near our place, just 5.5 klicks from downtown and less than 7 from Parliament House.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:21 pm

gretaboy wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:... and pulled out the trusty old MTB forgetting it is set up for SWMBO to ride. Short stem, seat all the way forward and flat pedals.
Isnt it just an awful feeling when your not riding your "normal" bike and you try and put up with a setup that isnt for you. Especially pedals which arent clip ins...I myself find flat pedals hard to use now, I am so used to clipins..I find my feet move around too much on flat pedals
Funny thing is I love the feeling of flat pedals offroad for more technical rides (and downhilling)- gives me more control but for road riding they are horrid.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Great weather for commuting in Brisbane this morning. Little chance of rain, sunny and not too cold. I had to carry lots of stuff in (2l milk, clothes etc), which my legs didn't feel much, but my back did.

Police were watching me very closely at a stop sign at the intersection of Morcom Ave and Keble Street Oxley. Seemed like a stop sign surviellance thing. This was on a detour on a section of road used by most cyclists commuting through this area (actually, no alternative way through). Video: http://youtu.be/PhjQRyTJpgE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 pm

riding to work this morning and i was keeping an eye out for bidon i'd dropped two mornings earlier. i didn't give it much chance, surely after 2 days someone would have picked it up? anyway there it was - right where i'd jumped a small kerb on my MTB commuter - completely untouched. except another commuter had spotted it and had turned back to collect it. i got to it ahead of him and there was an awkward moment when our eyes met and he said "i was going to grab that" and i said "believe it or not, i dropped it the other day". we had a good chat on the way to work. how about that though - got there with 5 seconds to spare?!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:09 pm

jules21 wrote:riding to work this morning and i was keeping an eye out for bidon i'd dropped two mornings earlier. i didn't give it much chance, surely after 2 days someone would have picked it up? anyway there it was - right where i'd jumped a small kerb on my MTB commuter - completely untouched. except another commuter had spotted it and had turned back to collect it. i got to it ahead of him and there was an awkward moment when our eyes met and he said "i was going to grab that" and i said "believe it or not, i dropped it the other day". we had a good chat on the way to work. how about that though - got there with 5 seconds to spare?!

is it just me or do others think the same....I would never pick up a bidon that is on the road/bikepath/grass and then use it. Doesnt matter how much I washed or cleaned it up, I dont think I could ever get over the fact of : - who was sucking on this before me :shock:

They are not that expensive really. Are people that hard up these days!!

good to hear you got yours back Jules21...I lost one due to a bump/edge but couldnt get it back due to the car driving over the top of it 30 seconds later

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:31 pm

gretaboy wrote:is it just me or do others think the same....I would never pick up a bidon that is on the road/bikepath/grass and then use it. Doesnt matter how much I washed or cleaned it up, I dont think I could ever get over the fact of : - who was sucking on this before me :shock:

They are not that expensive really. Are people that hard up these days!
Depends on how 'hip' the flask (bidon) looks... If it is gold plated I might pick it up... And melt it down for the gold. :P

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 pm

gretaboy wrote:is it just me or do others think the same....I would never pick up a bidon that is on the road/bikepath/grass and then use it. Doesnt matter how much I washed or cleaned it up, I dont think I could ever get over the fact of : - who was sucking on this before me :shock:
i was thinking the same thing. i don't think i would, but in theory there's no reason not to, once you clean it. i'd say that's the only reason mine lasted 2 days..

it's only a few $ but was quite satisfying to find it where i dropped it.