Reid Harrier to buy or not?

lobstermash

Re: Reid Harrier to buy or not?

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am

Good idea! I'll sticker it up and nobody will ever know... 8)

Funnily enough, none of the bicycle nuts (that I've come across) around here (Canberra) have any opinions on Reid. And I don't mind being uncool. Being a dad, I subscribe to the Seinfeld philosophy of dagginess for fathers. I don't care what you think of me! I can make my own people! (and yes, in case you're wondering, my kids are still young enough to think I'm pretty darn cool)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Pretty sure the decals are all removable if you want the low profile look...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:17 pm

ALL decals are removable..

MWAAHAHAHAA!! :twisted:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Nice... At this stage it'd be nice if Reid sent me an email or something to tell me they've got my money and are sending me a bike soon... I got an order confirmation straight away last time, and this time it's been over 24 hours with no communication (other than *exciting* emails about their new blog site) or reply to my email politely (no really, I'm a very polite person) pointing this out...

I don't have a problem displaying labels that I actually buy. One of my other hobbies is RC planes, and I loudly and proudly display 'Hobbyking' and 'Turnigy' about the place, much to the chagrin of those who have drunk of the Kool-Aid of the monopolising scoundrels who's had the business wrapped up for several decades too long...

At least Hobbyking actually send you an automated email acknowledging your order, even if it's for a $2 servo... Or even a $0.12 piece of heatshrink.

miml

Postby miml » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Let us know how you go mate.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:16 pm

They apparently had something wrong with their system. Sorted out pretty quickly but their ordering system is rubbish...

Got the bike last Monday. I chose the Griffon instead of the Harrier because I wanted a black frame, not orange. I've got a lot to say about it, most of it positive, but I'll hold it back until I've had it for a while longer.

Anthony1234

Postby Anthony1234 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:20 am

I've been riding a griffon for almost a year now, mainly over about 100 short rides (15-20km) as my cheap work bike.

I changed the following almost straight away:
- cranks/pedals/chainring
- tyres
- bars
- chain

It's been basically bulletproof over this time, but that is because it weighs an absolute tonne. However this has had the advantage of strengthening up my legs quickly.

I've probably got about $450 total in the bike now (purchase price plus the above mods), so am still ahead of the fuji in pure price terms.

If you are after a solid bike that will do the job then I can recommend this. However if you are looking to do some longer distances on a fixie then I would be shopping around for something lighter.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:32 am

I have had one as a lunch time ride and keep it at work I have been riding it for nearly 9 months and it doesn't miss a beat, my mods:

new head set to raise the seating position a little, and
new bars.
OI onya bike!!!

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

Mine's my wet weather commuter and pub bike. Only changes have been tyres and pedals. Oh, and a mudguard. Top marks from me so far.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:32 pm

I just took my brand new Avanti Solo 2012 model for a spin for about an hour along the Riverside bikeway. I don't know about how the Harrier goes over time but I can tell you it is just as nice a ride as the Avanti Solo. The only thing I noticed differently is that I did not get as much pressure on my neck as I do when I ride the Harrier. Both bikes are great...
OI onya bike!!!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:56 pm

I jsut read the bike review on the Ried fixie and from all his accounts he found it a great bike, I was wondering if anyone uses one for commuting, I commute around 30km's the weight doesn't bother me, I also ride around on a Kona Honzo which is like a 29 bmx so i'm not going to cry over weight of it. I just want to know if it will cut the mustard doing a 65km round trip, i've been using my carbon, and i'm really not happy with the road and the sounds the old girl makes when i hit some of the bumps, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

thanks

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm

My Griffon gets the occasional commute (36km round trip) in addition to tag-a-long duties and shop runs. It's a tough little bike which nothing much can go wrong with. If I was commuting on it all the time, I'd probably change out the saddle, which is only marginally better than what you'd get with a BSO.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:46 pm

poohkies wrote:I jsut read the bike review on the Ried fixie and from all his accounts he found it a great bike, I was wondering if anyone uses one for commuting, I commute around 30km's the weight doesn't bother me, I also ride around on a Kona Honzo which is like a 29 bmx so i'm not going to cry over weight of it. I just want to know if it will cut the mustard doing a 65km round trip, i've been using my carbon, and i'm really not happy with the road and the sounds the old girl makes when i hit some of the bumps, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

thanks
That'd be me :wink:
Yep, liked it enough to end up owning it.
If you've got the legs then give it a go, she's no lightweight but once up to speed it's almost effortless.
The current models run a slightly lower ratio so should make for easier hill work and better snap away from the lights at the expense of a slightly lower top speed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 pm

No complaints about a pub bike for $30!