Bee stings getting worse

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Mark Kelly

Bee stings getting worse

Postby Mark Kelly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Anybody know if there are stages to developing bee sting allergy?

I've always been able to shrug off bee stings, they just came up with a little doughnut shaped welt and subsided in a day or so.

Got hit by a bee on my neck whilst riding yesterday, my wife removed the sting carefully and it didn't feel too bad at the time. Over the next 3 hours of riding it puffed up quite a bit more than usual and the swelling has taken a full day to go down. Is this the preface to things getting worse or likely just a one off?

jillybean

Re: Bee stings getting worse

Postby jillybean » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Very possibly the preface to things getting worse - that has certainly been my experience. We used to keep bees, but over the course of 4 or 5 years my reaction to stings developed to the point that I had a precautionary stay in hospital so we ended up selling them.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Allergies can build.

Bees can kill if you have a strong allergic reaction (I've buried someone due to bee sting)

See your Dr for a proper opinion.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 am

To the OP, you better believe it! Start carrying some antihistamines around with you. :wink:

My throat closes up, my heart srarts racing, I break out in a rash and become light headed. :( If I shovel down 3-4 tablets sraight away, then I'm ok, if not, then it's lights and sirens for me. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 am

Also depends where you are stung, on the back and feet and I get a small welt,
but on the face I blow up like a balloon, so certain parts of the neck might be very sensitive for some people too.
I seem to have gotten more immune the more I have got stung over the years.

Mark Kelly

Postby Mark Kelly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 am

Aussiebullet wrote:Also depends where you are stung, on the back and feet and I get a small welt,
but on the face I blow up like a balloon, so certain parts of the neck might be very sensitive for some people too.
I seem to have gotten more immune the more I have got stung over the years.
Thanks, I think that's what's happened. I'm not allergic to anything and it's a very long time since the last sting. Apparently more frequent stingings dampens the response.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

I'd try to see an allergist if I were you, or at least start with your GP. An antihistamine isn't going to save you if you have an anaphylactic response to bee venom, as some people do.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 pm

foo on patrol wrote:To the OP, you better believe it! Start carrying some antihistamines around with you. :wink:

My throat closes up, my heart srarts racing, I break out in a rash and become light headed. :( If I shovel down 3-4 tablets sraight away, then I'm ok, if not, then it's lights and sirens for me. :shock:

Foo
Sounds like you need an epipen with those symptoms. I'd make an appt with a GP and describe what happens to you when stung.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:05 am

My Dr is fully aware of my situation and at this point in time, Claratyne is doing the job just so long as I take them straight away. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am

foo on patrol wrote:My Dr is fully aware of my situation and at this point in time, Claratyne is doing the job just so long as I take them straight away. :wink:

Foo
That's great that you are following doctor's orders. My suggestion was that the OP should do the same. In the case of a true anaphylactic response, your first one may be your last...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:28 pm

foo on patrol wrote:My Dr is fully aware of my situation and at this point in time, Claratyne is doing the job just so long as I take them straight away. :wink:

Foo
I am not a Dr and therefore not qualified to give medical advice.
I am a low paid victorian paramedic.
Without seeing your rash and taking your blood pressure the symptoms you are describing fit our guideline for the administration of adrenaline in an anaphylactic reaction. You are describing angio-oedema of your throat which can lead to a complete airway obstruction and your tachycardia and lightheadedness are quite possibly symptoms of hypotension in which case you are indicated for a 300mcg IM injection of adrenaline. Obviously I would need to be there to confirm that. 300mcg is the same dose that can be simply administered by oneself via an epipen in an anaphylactic reaction.
If the Clarantyne is doing the job that is great, however if it were me or one of mine, I would prefer to have adrenaline available in case the Clarantyne doesn't work. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah I understand what you're saying mate. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah I understand what you're saying mate. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Crunchy_NuT

Postby Crunchy_NuT » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 pm

once upon a time I got a sting while riding right on my ankle where the vein goes over the ankle joint -- by the time I got home I had a nice red line half way up my calf muscle, ankle blew up and took me 3 days to walk again, about 4-5 days for the red line to be completely gone

I thought that was the start of my bee sting intolerance in life....have since been done over twice with no affects which is lucky

moral, keep the buggers away when the heart rate is up if your allergic to them

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm

The reaction to a bee sting does depend a lot on the location. I contrived once whilst riding to swallow a bee and get stung on the back of the throat, and it swelled up far less (fortunately!) than getting stung on the shin directly above the bone about a month later. I've since been told by a GP that if you get stung anywhere where there is little flesh underneath (like a neck or shin) then you can have a much larger reaction because there is nowhere for the poison to dissipate. Mind you for some the more stings you get seem to confer immunity, whereas for others it can increase the sensitivity.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

linds

Postby linds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 pm

European wasps can be ordinary too. I managed to get one in my jersey last year. Got seveal stings just near the left nipple. The whole breast came up red, hot and swollen and didnt recede at all for several days. I am still a tad lop sided. I was very lax on the first aid on that occassion and now I am very wary of any stinging creatures as my immune system might be hyper sensitive now? Better put some antihistamines in the bike bag.