Whats worse for you Rain or Wind?

Rex

Re: Whats worse for you Rain or Wind?

Postby Rex » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:54 pm

die wind

SydneyFC2010

Postby SydneyFC2010 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Rain stops me from going out...steel frame worried that it will rust up and I won't have a bike. Like riding into wind keeps me fit....love tail winds...I do speed records.

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Commute home from work tonight... Woden to Ngunnawal 27ks wet, windy and dark... Some say stupid.. I say dedicated and keen...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I complained about wind last time, after trying to catch my mates along Old Northern Road today, I really really hate wind. Trying to outride wind resistance at 50kmh AND headwinds is just brutal.... Glad I had some downhills at least :P

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Xplora wrote:I complained about wind last time, after trying to catch my mates along Old Northern Road today, I really really hate wind. Trying to outride wind resistance at 50kmh AND headwinds is just brutal.... Glad I had some downhills at least :P
Is this on your imaginary ride? :lol:

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 am

Wind is worse.

Rain is fine. I don't mind getting wet - I can throw all my stuff in my panniers with rain covers. Mudguards keep all the wheel spray / mud off me, so that's not a problem.

Wind, though... Nothing makes it feel like Friday when you hit wind on a Monday. :D

inline_online

Postby inline_online » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Repeat while cycling into the wind...

"The wind is my friend;
It will make me strong"
:D
Powerslide R4 (3 x 125mm)
Seba Marathon (Two sets of frames: 4 x 110mm, 3 x 125mm)
Cannondale CAAD8

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't mind cycling in the rain (although I get annoyed at having to spend hours getting my bike OCD-clean again afterwards), but wind is not my friend. Headwinds pretty much kill skinny small-legged dudes like me, and crosswinds terrify me, especially if the wind is gusting (or there are tall buildings funneling it). Being blown right across the road at Broadbeach is not an experience I'd like to repeat...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 pm

I've learnt to deal with cross winds - but I've had a few gusts which scared the heck out of me.

Rain is just miserable - it dirties the bike, the glasses fog up for me, and I just hate it. And it always rains heavily on the times I do want to go for a ride!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Re crosswinds, I had a few gusts hit me today on downhills at 60-70kmh, NOT pleasant :shock: . The worst part about gusty crosswinds is that there's usually little or no warning, so you're reacting to something that has already happened rather than preparing for something that's coming up.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:07 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:or there are tall buildings funneling it
Went for a ride when it was gusty, raining and flooding in Jan this year. Riding towards the gardens in the city I went from riding on the road to ending up in a undercover carpark from cross winds. I kept wondering what the whistling sound was and it ended up being the buildings making the whistling sound as the wind blew and got all choppy. I didn't have the camera on at the time so I doubled back and did it again. It was just crazy as I was blown towards the cars parked on the side seeing all the rain and wind blowing :P

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Don't mind getting wind if I'm equipped for it and it's not too cold.
Just hate having to clean the bike earlier than I want or can.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Wind without doubt. No matter what direction you cycle, the wind is almost always a headwind on a windy day - one of nature's cruelest tricks. Wind and rain is a horrible combination though, even worse when it's cold.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:57 pm

djw47 wrote:Wind without doubt. No matter what direction you cycle, the wind is almost always a headwind on a windy day - one of nature's cruelest tricks. Wind and rain is a horrible combination though, even worse when it's cold.
Oh god yes, wind and rain in the cold!! Frozen feet! :shock: That happened the other weekend. My socks were wet, and the damn shoes had this air-vent thing that allowed a lot of cold air to rush in. The socks were more like ice! :( And damn the bike was filthy when I got home. Shoes were too.
ldrcycles wrote:Re crosswinds, I had a few gusts hit me today on downhills at 60-70kmh, NOT pleasant
I don't normally go venturing above 60km/h - but I've had a few strong gusts hit me at 50km/h... Those were enough to get the heart rate going. And they are always sudden and strong gusts.

bollo

Postby bollo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:24 pm

wind 100% for me i don't mind getting wet but riding on a windy day makes everything so much harder
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm

mikgit wrote:Wind, wind sux the big one... where I used to live there was no tailwind, you got a headwind riding out...then miraculously you got a headwind coming home...grrrr.
Rain, if it starts raining when I'm out fine, but if its raining when I go to leave, makes me grumpy...but not as much as wind.
Well, if you went the other direction, you would've got the tailwind riding out and tailwind on the way home :roll:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

ezzy wrote:
mikgit wrote:Wind, wind sux the big one... where I used to live there was no tailwind, you got a headwind riding out...then miraculously you got a headwind coming home...grrrr.
Rain, if it starts raining when I'm out fine, but if its raining when I go to leave, makes me grumpy...but not as much as wind.
Well, if you went the other direction, you would've got the tailwind riding out and tailwind on the way home :roll:
So... Sleep at the office and work at home, you reckon? :P
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Wind I can handle, rain makes everything dirty which I hate. Having said that I love riding in the rain in summer, just need someone else to clean all my gear afterwards.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Mylotian

Postby Mylotian » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Wind especially in summer we have an easterly head wind that can gust up to 60 knots, a consistent steady rain I can tolerate makes it a lot warmer than those cold clear mornings, that is as long as it's not a downpour.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Very strong winds here yesterday, 21kmh riding into it and then 57kmh on the flat, on a steel bike riding with it! :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia