2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

TTar

2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

Postby TTar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 pm

A seller on gumtree is offering this bike for $350;

Image and Cached Version Here (ad was removed)

It looks remarkably similar to K-mart's "Southern Star Citi" bike with the "Southern Star" stickers removed;

Last time I saw it in store, it was available for its regular price of $150.

The description is something to behold; http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-c ... 022819958#. My favourite bit is; "strengths and features seen only in a handful of pro bikes ".

I think this seller has been doing the same thing for a couple of years -- it's amazing to think there's enough gullible people around to sustain this, um... activity for so long.,
Last edited by TTar on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my fortified compound

gorilla monsoon

Re: 2nd hand K-mart for 133% more than new

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

He or she would make a very good advertising copy writer because whoever it is has verbally managed to make a sow's ear into a silk purse. In the right hands that bike could win the TdF, I'm sure (at least the copy almost suggests it). If only the spelling mistakes were not there......
Not my circus, not my monkeys

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: 2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, K-mart are up-selling frustration and disappointment in the first place.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 pm

If it wasn't for the fact I don't like flatbar road bikes I actually would buy that as a commuter, I've been over one in the local Kmart and it doesn't look too bad to me (bearing in mind i'm the one who bought a $99 Repco singlespeed :) ).

That said though, aside from the "value-adding" of the flowery prose and admittedly excellent photography, it is a little underhanded to try and move the thing on for $350, it's worth $150 sure, but not $350.

I'd just like to know how the heck he came up with the term "aviation style speed metres"? :shock:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:35 pm

What a rip off merchant :x

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:44 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:What a rip off merchant :x
End of the day I have no sympathy for anyone who buys it.... Caveat Emptor.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
I'd just like to know how the heck he came up with the term "aviation style speed metres"? :shock:
Perhaps it had a built in "VNE" marker, beyond which the frame will fly apart from over speed!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
I always wondered why saddles have cutouts in the centre. Now I know...
"comfortable seat with cooling airway"
...to get a cold draught up your date!

Marto

Re: 2nd hand K-mart for 133% more than new

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:He or she would make a very good advertising copy writer because whoever it is has verbally managed to make a sow's ear into a silk purse.......
And do it with one hand, because the other hand is definitely on it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:17 pm

All the morals of a hyena. :roll:

I hope a patched Comanchero buys it for his child then comes looking for tech advice here once it starts to fall apart on them...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
I always wondered why saddles have cutouts in the centre. Now I know...
"comfortable seat with cooling airway"
...to get a cold draught up your date!
I bought aa selle saddle for glw the other day, it has a mesh vent on the nose which allows airflow through to another mesh grill, well, you know where.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:22 pm

im_no_pro wrote:I bought aa selle saddle for glw the other day, it has a mesh vent on the nose which allows airflow through to another mesh grill, well, you know where.
Sounds perfect for long course triathlons ;) No need ot stop for "natural breaks'

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 am

trailgumby wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:I bought aa selle saddle for glw the other day, it has a mesh vent on the nose which allows airflow through to another mesh grill, well, you know where.
Sounds perfect for long course triathlons ;) No need ot stop for "natural breaks'
If one was intending to achieve that then I would have thought it would be better off flowing to the back of the saddle rather than the front.... YMMV :shock: :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 pm

My spidey senses say there is something going on here - another gumtree ad with a similar photo, random accent in words, eg "Shimâno", unusual address description & the wording is refers to features hitherto unknown "Shimâno leading speed up technology" "Extended triple mountain power" but of course these are "feature seen only in a handful of Advanced bikes"

Image and Cached Version Here - Original Gumtree Ad removed

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1021165803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:41 pm

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Looks like someone is doing a marketing course. Or maybe two people doing the same course and its a competition to see who can up sell a crappy bike by the most.

'Unique one piece alloy stem only seen in advanced bicycles' I thought quill stems were on the out and only found on BSO's now?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:27 pm

find_bruce wrote:My spidey senses say there is something going on here - another gumtree ad with a similar photo, random accent in words, eg "Shimâno", unusual address description & the wording is refers to features hitherto unknown "Shimâno leading speed up technology" "Extended triple mountain power" but of course these are "feature seen only in a handful of Advanced bikes"

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1021165803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's yet another with all those same oddities in the description;

The one find_Bruce posted is exactly the same ad I've been seeing in Gumtree for a couple years -- either the seller is an astonishing die-hard or they're selling more than one of the same bike.

Somebody with some time on their hands and an expendable email address could have an enormous amount of fun with this character endlessly asking ridiculous questions about the bikes in the same befuddling language of the ads, then apologise for wasting their time because you've just noticed another more preferable bike that you'll be seeking out instead -- of course, it's another of the same seller's bikes and you just repeat the process... hours of fun for all the family. :twisted:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:48 pm

maybe the guys responsible for this one are at it again:

http://skullbrain.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Have a look out for the H&R Block tax ad.

Actually found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxlP3yt4f_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same bike. Well not the one being sold but you know what I mean.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 pm

As seen on TV during the Tour de France!

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:03 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Have a look out for the H&R Block tax ad.

Actually found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxlP3yt4f_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same bike. Well not the one being sold but you know what I mean.

Yeah, but it's the Cell that does all the tricks.

Although the guy on the K-Mart bike does own "shares and an investment property", so he's doing alright.

Gee, maybe this actually is a glamorous bike?

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 pm

SHAPE - slìm body with advanced flat fork and giant speed slìm road wheels for ultra speed riding (you can ride slowly if you prefer)
Lulz. Glad the giant speed slim wheels allow for various riding speeds. Would hate to be stuck going ultra speed ALL the time.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:07 am

Interesting - it is like real estate advertising where you arrive, disappointed that the sky isn't blue, the grass isn't green and what wasn't shown was far more enlightening that what was shown (like high voltage powerlines over the top of the house).

I understand buyer beaware however the buyers of these bikes are generally not experienced and while it is legal, it is morally wrong as I it misrepresents the products and value.

The most interesting question is whether anything can be done about it.
Cycling is in my BNA

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 am

I just like how you can ride it without being a full time athlete!
That's very reassuring!!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

K2

Postby K2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 am

AUbicycles wrote:The most interesting question is whether anything can be done about it.
If someone can convince Gumtree that the seller has breached the terms and conditions (ie. not being false or misleading), then they may take action.

I guess you'd have to convince them that the first one for example was in fact a Southern Star and not a curiously named Shímano Touch. Or perhaps that it was both false and misleading when it stated "I'll just make it short" and then went on to write a book :) (as if I can talk) , or highlight any other clear mistruths it contains.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. I've never had any luck getting ads that clearly breach their own conditions removed.

That said, perhaps some kind of mass participation campaign of complaints by some kindly concerned citizens of the interwebz might prove more persuasive?

Say for instance that somebody who knew exactly what they were talking about came across a similar type of glorified puff on some site devoted to advertising various forms of bric-a-brac and suchlike, and that person found an instance or two where the seller had strayed the wrong side of elaboration and then decided to make their discoveries public on some kind of forum or newsboardgroupweb somewhere, then surely there wouldn't be anything wrong with a few thousand folk, who...oh I don't know...perhaps thought that the practice was a bit on the nose and elected of their own free will and in good conscience to bring to the attention of the proprietors of the host site these apparent discrepancies with the terms and conditions and posting practices contained thereupon, all perfectly legally and orderly through some form of sanctioned reporting process obviously (coughaboveandtotherightofthePosterContactInformationcough), and if successful in their endeavours with...let's call it a test case for want of a better term, these same community minded individuals decided to help the proprietors in identifying some similar circumstances occurring therewithin their site, regularly, well surely it would be incumbent upon said proprietors to doff their caps and wish all of these fantastic folk...nay, fine upstanding examples of all that is right and good with the interworlds a "Hail good fellow (or fellowette) and well met, and cheers big time for your selfless assistance in ensuring that our site remains free from...er...let's call them factual errors (I've no idea why I was was thinking of pond life)." Surely.... :?