GUIDE: Repairing Shimano RX100 (A550) STI Levers

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

GUIDE: Repairing Shimano RX100 (A550) STI Levers

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Another guide, now for the RX100 STIs. These were in lovely condition, and its obvious they did not get much use over the years. However, the left hand shifter did not click at all. Right hand was quite stiff when clicking. Obvious signs of the gummed up grease.

RX100 levers are not symmetrical. The right side lever is different to the left side lever. So I will be going through both left and right sides in this guide.

This is the right lever. Remove the hood, and use a 2mm allen key to remove this grab screw. It does have a little bit of threadlock, so it may be a little hard to unscrew.

Use the same hex key to push out the pivot. Now you can take the lever away from the body.

Next, use a 5mm hex key to remove the screw holding on the name plate. Make sure youre holding onto both the name plate and the lever when unscrewing.

You will be greeted with this spring. This is different to the assembly of the new Sora(3300) and 105(5500) levers. Id say its much more easy to dismantle and rebuild because the spring is here.

Now flip to the back side of the lever. Push the smaller lever over so the screw is visible. Unscrew with a small Phillips, and watch out for the small washer underneath.

Now, just pull the lever right off. No springs underneath like on the new levers, so its very simple.

Very simple. The internal gears have been reached, and now you can ahead with cleaning it. I am using fuel, but you can use your degreaser, or whatever youd like.

Silly me forgot to take pics of when it was all clean. Oh well, you can find the pawls, and grease those areas up.

Now onto the left lever. As you can see its different in shape.

Remove the hood, and use a 2mm allen key to remove this grab screw. It does have a little bit of threadlock, so it may be a little hard to unscrew.

Use the same hex key to push out the pivot. Now you can take the lever away from the body.

Next, use a 5mm hex key to remove the screw holding on the name plate. Make sure youre holding onto both the name plate and the lever when unscrewing. (Yes this is the pic of the right side, but its the same thing as the left)

Its odd that the spring stayed like this when I pulled it off. It should be like the pic of the right side. Pulled it out, and noticed the spring that was supposed to be bent at a right angle was bent to almost straight again. Rebent to a right angle, and everything was fine again.

Gummy grease!

Now the left lever has a plastic cover which may get in the way of cleaning. Using a toothbrush, you'd get to most places, but there are places where you cannot get to. This is where I got my airbrush out and filled it up with some fuel. At max air pressure, I sprayed, and blocks of grease flew out. Keep repeating this til theres nothing else coming out.

You can go ahead and grease the pawls.

Final result after a polish of the levers. Would've liked to remove the rashes from the name plate, but preferred to keep the RX100 logo there.

Oh, and I will offer a service to rebuild STI levers. So far I have done the Sora(3300), 105(5500) and the RX100 as above, but I am sure that I can get around to doing the others without too many problems. I will also gladly take in any broken shifters, or ones that do not work anymore. Please PM me if youre interested!
QuangVuong

by BNA » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm

BNA

Re: GUIDE: Repairing Shimano RX100 (A550) STI Levers

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Another excellent, makes me want to get a pair so I can overhaul them :D
find_bruce

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks, and you should! Its fun.

Next up will be the RSX, which I would say are 99% the same as these. Oh well, its also gummed up, so another rebuild in maybe 2 weeks.
QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm

80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby Milar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Thanks for the guide. I have these shifters on one of my bikes, they are working fine now but this might be a good rainy weekend job to keep them tip top.
Milar

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 pm

600 guide is up!
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=65831
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Bike Question

Postby PeppeX » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey Quang,

Just looked at your RX100 reparing thread. I opened the left shifter and the spring is there. But I can't seem to slot everything back in place, because the spring has the right angles bit sticking out and I guess they are suppose to go into the little hole in the lever and there is another hole/slot in the cap. But they do not match up? Do I need to twist the spring to make sure they are in the slot before putting the screw on?

Hopefully I am making sense
PeppeX

Postby QuangVuong » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Yes, the right angle bits are supposed to go into the hole in the lever, and the other does go into the slot behind the name plate. Place the spring into the lever hole first, then you will need to align the name plate so that the spring falls into the slot. Then while pushing down on the name plate, you twist it into place. Then do up the hex screw to keep it all together.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby martc101 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks for this guide, will be rebuilding a pair in the next week or two so will let you know how goes...
martc101

Return to The Shed