Can't get tyres onto rim.

ausrandoman

Can't get tyres onto rim.

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 am

Preamble - I am not a newbie. I have been riding bikes for 40 years, I have n+1 bikes, I often remove and replace tyres without tyre levers etc etc.

Now, onto the problem.

I have a pair of 700C road wheels that are a real pain when I need to change a tyre. Last time, in despair, I filed 0.5 mm off one side of the rim and finally managed to force the tyre on with the help of two tyre levers. This time ... I tried 6 tyres, a 28 mm bead wire and 5 foldables ranging from 26 to 23 mm. The 28 went on easily (I only fitted it in an attempt to see what the #^%$* was going on). Of the rest, a 12 year old foldable went on easily. The rest (all brand new) - not a hope. I even broke a plastic tyre lever. It's not the tyres, as I can fit them onto other wheels (e.g. Dura Ace C24).

There is nothing rare or exotic about the troublesome wheels - mid range Easton semi-aero alloy clinchers.

Any suggestions?

RonK

Re: Can't get tyres onto rim.

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:39 am

Sounds like your rim has a shallow well. You could try a bead jack.

It may also be worthwhile fitting the new tyres to another rim and inflating them hard, then letting them sit for a while in the sun.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:48 am

Should help

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:10 am

Common problem with tubeless MTB tyres...easy fixed with real tyre levers rather than the plastic tiddlers you usually see.

Personally I use the Lezyne cro-mo metal levers that double as pedal spanners and bottle openers
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm

RonK wrote:Sounds like your rim has a shallow well. You could try a bead jack.

Ah-ha! I've ordered not one, but two! Thanks for the tip.

DarrylH

Postby DarrylH » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 pm

That video explains why the rim has a well in the centre, but then he goes on to start fitting at the valve - which of course stops the bead from sitting in the lowest part of the well. On that type of wheel it is noticeably easier if you start fitting opposite the valve.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 pm

ausrandoman wrote:

Ah-ha! I've ordered not one, but two! Thanks for the tip.
Let us know how you get on with them.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am

It may also be worthwhile fitting the new tyres to another rim and inflating them hard, then letting them sit for a while in the sun.
Yes, I have had the somewhat simpler Michelin version of the tyre jack in my tool kit for the last 30 years, now marketed by VAR apparently.
http://www.retro-gression.com/product/v ... -bead-jack
Works really well on most tyres, especially for my wife who has problems refitting tyres on tighter tyre/rim combinations. However it was not beefy enough to get some new Continental 20c tyres onto 1980's Campag rims on my Flying Gate. A reversed tyre lever and a lot of care was need for the last 6-7 inches!
I'll have to buy one of these Kool Stop ones and see if they are man enough for the job.
I seem to recall a small thread driven tyre jack/beadlifter was on the market in Holland when I was working there but it may have been a moped tool?
Cheers
Richard
PS +1 to the sitting in the sun idea - warm pre-stretched tyres definitely go on easier!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am

+1 for bead jack - amazon do them cheap

another thread suggest sitting them in the sun to warm them up and failing that the tumble drier