GoPro Batteries

gromek

GoPro Batteries

Postby gromek » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 am

Hey guys!

Trying to decide whether i should get one of the cheap 7ish dollar ebay batteries
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1050mAH-AHDB ... 27d364f74e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or the genuine gopro battery which is about $30

Reason is im going to france in a few weeks and plan on doing the Alpe d'Huez :D and an hour or so of recording time / photos will not be enough

Other option is the Battery Bacpac which is $65 and saves me having to swap out the batteries

If anyone has had any experience with these items feedback would be apprecaited :)

Summernight

Re: GoPro Batteries

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:06 am

The Bacpac does give longer recording time, but if you are turning the camera on and off I've found that the Bacpac needs to be removed from my Hero3 Black once it has used all its charge as otherwise it'll tell the camera itself that there is no more charge and the camera won't turn on, even if the camera's internal battery has full charge. :?

So if you're going with the Bacpac you should take both the standard and the bacpac housing to change it over if you get this issue. Or you have to pull the Bacpac off to get the camera to turn on, and then reattach the Bacpac after the camera has been turned on, necessitating opening the housing to do so.

I have no idea on the eBay batteries or switching out the batteries, but if I was wanting extended recording time I'd probably get spare batteries as well as getting the Bacpac. :)

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am

Personally, it's not a big enough price difference to justify the (small) risk - so I'd buy a genuine battery just for peace of mind. The generic batteries would probably be fine - but if not, you'd probably regret missing out on recording your ride to save $23 ;)

That said, I've bought eBay batteries for cheap phones and cameras etc with no problems, though they seemed lower capacity than the genuine battery. I use genuine batteries for my DSLR though and would do the same for a gopro as the risk is a bit higher if the battery is faulty and damages the camera - which could also happen with a genuine battery, but then at least you should be able to make a warranty claim.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I have a couple of different generic battery brands in addition to a few spare GoPro branded batteries for my Hero3 Black and Hero3 White. Absolutely no problems with either kind, any difference in capacity, etc.

The no-names came with separate chargers which I prefer so now I have 12 batteries in total and 3 chargers. Good for quickly recharging after a big ride.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Peterjvh

Postby Peterjvh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Samurai comes with two batteries and a wall charger (comes with car plug too). All for 30USD.

gromek

Postby gromek » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 am

Thanks for the help guys!
So I ended up getting a cheapo ebay one but will buy another genuine one and use both of those before i put the noname one in :)
Also the hero 2 bacpac can be swapped out with different batteries (the old gopro batteries) instead of recharging it every time so will try pick one up cheap from ebay or something!