Fast. Cheap. Ortlieb. Choose any two?

MattyK

Fast. Cheap. Ortlieb. Choose any two?

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 am

I'm on a quest for some new panniers for commuting, Ortlieb Back Roller seems to be the best choice (most days I would only need one for lunchbox and clothes; weekly I take a towel and very occasionally a 15" laptop.)

first, anyone used the different versions? The City is cheaper but lacking an internal pocket I believe? which would be handy for keys/wallet/phone. The Classic seems the best choice.

Second, Aussie LBS/local online seems about ballpark with each other on price, and there don't seem to be many overseas vendors. Bike24 is one, notably cheaper, but I know how slow they can be to deliver... I don't really want to wait 4 weeks + ... Any other trustworthy vendors still deliver them to Aus?

MattyK

Re: Fast. Cheap. Ortlieb. Choose any two?

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

The other question about Ortliebs: can you carry them around by the clip release handle? Otherwise what do you hang on to?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 pm

MattyK wrote:The other question about Ortliebs: can you carry them around by the clip release handle? Otherwise what do you hang on to?
Well, my rollers have a shoulder strap, or you can remove it and join the roll top to use as a handle.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I have the back rollers. Yes, you can carry by the handle, or the shoulder strap, or do as suggested and roll the top closed and join the two clips at the top to form another handle.

Don't worry about internal pockets. Just use packing cells inside to keep your items neat and separate.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Perhaps an alternative which have a zipped pocket and handles (you can attach the two together via a press stud at the handles).

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Make sure you check out the front rollers as well.

Even though they're designed for the front rack, they are also well suited to use on the rear rack.

I have both front and back rollers, and the front rollers get used the most. They are smaller and lighter and if one isn't enough, i find having two smaller front rollers (used on the rear rack) a more balanced and nimble ride than just one unbalanced back roller.

The back rollers only get used when I go on a big shop. or transporting six packs with ice.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I looked at the front rollers but the dimensions suggest a 15" laptop wouldn't fit.

@biker jk: not bad; got any other colours? ;)

ray

Postby ray » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 pm

More of a briefcase style. I use the Ortlieb Downtown QL3 Bike Pannier (http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... =124;pgc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The mount goes on the rack permanently or you go for the one with the QL2 mount (http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... =124;pgc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I carry way too much - a change of jersey+knicks for the afternoon when it gets hot, towel, full set of business clothes, tie, small case for gadgets, a pair of shoes sometimes and lunch. I have a 2nd one for the otherside of the rack but have never used 2 at once.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 am

More so than which version to get, are there good fast places to buy Ortliebs online?

ray

Postby ray » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 pm

MattyK wrote:More so than which version to get, are there good fast places to buy Ortliebs online?
Once Wiggle was prevented from shipping to Australia I have got a few items from Evan Cycles (pretty limitted range), Bike24 (slowest delivery but does come though for me both times has taken exactly 1 month) and Cyclestore (http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - VAT is removed and delivery has generally been a 1 week or less).

pjt

Postby pjt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 pm

A few years back I had some panniers named "Mainstream Elegance" with model numbers that sounded vaguely like models of Mercedes (SL55 etc.) THey were VERY good and much like an Ortlieb in construction and general build quality.

I recently bought a pair of Ortliebs from bike24 at a fantastic price - they had a version with their store logo on it, which was cheaper than the plain coloured Ortliebs. (Imagine that - a place that actually pays you back a little for having sometihng with their logo on them... ;) )

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Bullet bit, LBS tax paid. White Back-Roller Classics on my bike. The Bike-24 prices were tempting but not the waiting time.

Funny, they don't look as bulky in person as they do in the pictures. They are wide though

Reflectors work well...

Comfortably fits a 15" laptop, and even with that, one of them will suffice for 99% of my commuting. Super-easy to set up the brackets. Looking forward to seeing if the lower weight distribution is noticeable.

ray

Postby ray » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks great. Highly visible with the white. Easy to clean. Rode with a guy who had his for over 20+ years but was on the look out for a replacement. I managed to snag my bag on something sharp but haven't had to use the repair kit. I bet you can't wait to ride to work hehe.