My Mavic Ksyrium SL's have died

azzurribike

My Mavic Ksyrium SL's have died

Postby azzurribike » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:53 pm

:cry: Well worn out really, 16000+kms very happy. So it's been a while since I have considered wheels and although thoroughly satisfied with what I had would be interested to know what forumites suggest as replacements.
be the change in the world you want to see

thearthurdog

Re: My Mavic Ksyrium SL's have died

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Really?

I would not be happy with 16 000 out of a set of wheels.

Were these wheels just used for training? What quality roads? Do you want a new set for the same job / purpose?
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:04 pm

mine have done 30.000, near as I can work out

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 pm

In former glory days of serious race training 16,000km's equated to less than eight months of use. Not exactly spectacular durability.
My Shimano RS80 C24's are up to about 15,000km's with hopefully at least another 5000 left in them. Not too flash on the durability front either but I ride less than half the annual distances I used to.
The RS80's have however been trouble free and still run true without any need for adjustment or maintenance.

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:54 pm

How do wheels even wear out? I have SL's with 6,000km on them. Do they just fall to bits at some point?

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:06 pm

arkle wrote:How do wheels even wear out?
The brake tracks wear out.
As I am discovering with modern wheels the braking surface seems to wear out well before worn bearings become a problem.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Tim wrote:
As I am discovering with modern wheels the braking surface seems to wear out well before worn bearings become a problem.
Stop leaning on the brakes in every perceived emergency ........ learn to dodge. :lol: :lol:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Tim wrote:
That's because modern rims have machined sidewalls that remove material from an area that gets the majority of wear.

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Tim wrote:
What happens then? The brake pads wear the metal wheels away and holes start appearing in the rims?

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:29 pm

arkle wrote:
Tim wrote:
What happens then? The brake pads wear the metal wheels away and holes start appearing in the rims?

arkle
@Tim
That has always been the case with well maintained hubs, it is just that better-sealed hubs mean that people can ignore them for longer.

@arkle
That is pretty much the case but bear in mind the the rim is part of the pressure vessel that keeps the tube contained. A hole developing in the rim can allow the tube to force it's way through which will get cut on a jagged edge. If the wear is more even, then you might find that a whole segment of the sidewall will come away at one time in explosive decompression. Obviously there is never a good time for this to happen. Sometimes the failure is slower and you can see the rim start to bulge outwards beforehand.

http://ride-or-pie.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... kness.html

Cheers,

Cameron

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm

This thread prompted me to check the rim wear on my RS80's.
Sitting a steel ruler across the top of the brake track has (very pleasingly) revealed an almost imperceptible amount of concave wear to the braking surface.
At this rate I think another 15,000km's should be possible. These wheels have a wear indicator indent that is still at least 1mm deep.
I fitted Koolstop Black pads when the wheels were fairly new. It appears these pads really are "rim friendly" as the blurb stated, not just marketing hype.
I hardly ever ride these wheels in the rain which helps explain the low wear rate but it also confirms my high regard for the RS80's.
The hubs have been opened up once (cup and cones, not cartridge) and regreased at about 10,000km's but I don't really think it was necessary. The grease was clean and there was no bearing play in the hubs. The labyrinth seals are very effective.
Good wheels IMO.

fingy

Postby fingy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:24 pm

I am happy with my DA C24's 23,000 km and minimal rim wear on front rim wear indicator,
still true roll fast and ~1400g, yet to put a spanner on them.
May be pricier than SL's though, don't know what they cost.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:33 pm

azzurribike wrote::cry: Well worn out really, 16000+kms very happy. So it's been a while since I have considered wheels and although thoroughly satisfied with what I had would be interested to know what forumites suggest as replacements.

Round ones

Hope this helps.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:27 pm

My last ones lasted about 18 months... but it is the CX racing that kills them!. I reckon I could go through a set of rims in about 20 hours ... might be a good reason to get disks!

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 pm

My ksyrium's recently died after about 25,000 km. It was the hub that went not the rims. Very happy with the wheels. Not too keen on the nylon free hub bush.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:07 pm

"Died" and "worn out" could have many meanings here. Brake track can wear, and will wear very rapidly if regularly used in the rain/mud. It could also have worn bearings or freehub. Freehub can be easily replaced as well as all the cartridge bearings. I suspect at 16,000km, the OP just decided not to bother with these designed maintenance components.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 pm

When the nylon bush wears out allowing one of the pawls to pop out and jam in the hub gouging a groove half way around in the process, the wheel is dead, died, nada, kaput.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:23 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My last ones lasted about 18 months... but it is the CX racing that kills them!. I reckon I could go through a set of rims in about 20 hours ... might be a good reason to get disks!
Just do what my mate told me early on when racing MTB (back in the days of cantilevers) "stay off the brakes and nail the corners" :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:47 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:My last ones lasted about 18 months... but it is the CX racing that kills them!. I reckon I could go through a set of rims in about 20 hours ... might be a good reason to get disks!
Just do what my mate told me early on when racing MTB (back in the days of cantilevers) "stay off the brakes and nail the corners" :lol:
I wish ... When racing at 0C on the side of a hill in thick slop on 30mm wide tyres ... Even having your brakes on hard and the wheels locking up hardly slows you down! Lol

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 pm

jimsheedy wrote:When the nylon bush wears out allowing one of the pawls to pop out and jam in the hub gouging a groove half way around in the process, the wheel is dead, died, nada, kaput.
Not necessarily. Here's a thread I prepared earlier.