Gluing velcro dots to helmet

eeksll

Gluing velcro dots to helmet

Postby eeksll » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am

any one know the best way to glue those velcro dots (on the back of ayup mounts) onto the helmet. Also onto the geckon mount itself.

Initially they where quite good but I was not removing them much. Lately I have been removing the lights/battery and the velcro dots are starting to get a bit tatty.

There are a few groves in the helmet which prevent a full flat surface for the dots to stick on.

lobstermash

Re: Gluing velcro dots to helmet

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

Hot glue works great. Unlike epoxy or foam-safe cyano, it doesn't shrink as it sets so does a good job of filling those grooves.

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:40 pm

I bought a roll of velcro from either bunnings or spotlight, cant remember. Comes with an adhesive side, so its just a matter of cutting off a piece, taking off the backing paper and sticking it on the helmet/mount. I dont tend to take them off much during winter, as I mainly ride dusk and dawn, but when it has come unstuck, I just cut off another piece on the roll. Its never come loose on more than one of the four spots on the mount at once, so crucially, never felt like the ayup was going to fall off.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm

thanks for the replies
lobstermash wrote:Hot glue works great. Unlike epoxy or foam-safe cyano, it doesn't shrink as it sets so does a good job of filling those grooves.
Is that just a normal hot glue gun? e.g [img=http://cdn.dealsdirect.net/m/products/5 ... 00x600.jpg]this[/img]
Mapomatic wrote:I bought a roll of velcro from either bunnings or spotlight, cant remember. Comes with an adhesive side, so its just a matter of cutting off a piece, taking off the backing paper and sticking it on the helmet/mount. I dont tend to take them off much during winter, as I mainly ride dusk and dawn, but when it has come unstuck, I just cut off another piece on the roll. Its never come loose on more than one of the four spots on the mount at once, so crucially, never felt like the ayup was going to fall off.
I don't seem to have an issue on my other helmet, but there are no groves on that one and I don't use it too often anymore. I have been doing a fair bit of out side work lately so its been on and off almost everyday for about a month. In that time I had already replaced the velcro once. Its not quite gone yet, but its not looking good, if I leave it too much longer then I will be kicking myself for losing a $$$ light especially since I can see it happening.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:18 pm

eeksll wrote:any one know the best way to glue those velcro dots (on the back of ayup mounts) onto the helmet. Also onto the geckon mount itself.

Initially they where quite good but I was not removing them much. Lately I have been removing the lights/battery and the velcro dots are starting to get a bit tatty.

There are a few groves in the helmet which prevent a full flat surface for the dots to stick on.
The dots are crap and Ayup needs to find a better solution if you want to use the velcro system use this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290929298376 ... 1439.l2649

Remove the old dots and clean off the residue with white sprites. Place each tab part that will have new Velcro stuck to it on a table with wet and dry sandpaper P120 to give the surface a rough up so bonding will be good. Again after sanding and making sure all the area of contact that was sanded is cleaned with white spirits again to remove any fine plastic powder. Cut 25mm squares of the Duel lock and stick on trimming the overlap off. allow 24hrs for full bonding and you should be good to go.

Ricky

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I use hot glue & 3M dual lock.

Hot glue is to build up a flat surface. Glue a small square of milk bottle to the spot on your helmet. The glue doesn't stick to the milk bottle, so peel it off after it has set.

This gives you a nice flat spot. Stick the dual lock to the hot glue, works wonderfully.

I don't use ay-ups, but I've got two Blackburn Fleas on my helmet, white facing forward & red on the rear.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm

I wouldn't bother with the dots, I use two zip ties on my "gecko" mounts and wouldn't trust velcroe alone for mountain biking anyway.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Yep, just a normal hot glue gun. Don't go too high temp though, or you'll melt the foam...

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I just did the hot gluing ... I made a mess :( stringy glue everywhere....

If that doesnt work, Ill give one of the the others options a go. Thanks all.
Leiothrix wrote:Hot glue is to build up a flat surface. Glue a small square of milk bottle to the spot on your helmet. The glue doesn't stick to the milk bottle, so peel it off after it has set.
interesting the glue sticks to the helmet plastic casing but not the milk bottle plastic.

Lock and Loop: interesting its not the velcro letting me down is the glue stick the velcro on to the helmet and gecko feet.

Zip ties: I used the long velcro strips that came with the ayups to hold the mount on, but I turn the light around and use the flashing red when commuting in the rain.