Cycling Inform???

AKO

Cycling Inform???

Postby AKO » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Hey guys. After a bit of advice from anyone who has used any of Cycling Informs Guides. I have recently bought a home trainer and was looking to purchase their Complete Guide to Home Training. Has anybody got any feedback on their products? Are they worth the price of admission or are there better ways to spend my dosh? While I’m not training for anything in particular (except a 135 klm charity ride in October) I would like to improve my average speed and hill climbing abilities. I don't really think getting myself a coach will help unless I find one that can fully customise a training plan due to my roster (I work 5 on 5 off). Thanks in advance.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Derny Driver

Re: Cycling Inform???

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:20 pm

I just had a look at the site. I cant believe people pay money for this stuff. You can google anything you want or ask on here - why pay money for BASIC information such as this? Information is free in this day and age. How about I buy YOU a coffee and I could tell you everything you wanted to know in about 20 minutes.

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 am

Thanks Derny but by the time I pay for air fares and car rental to get to you I may as well have bought the guide :lol: . I have been lurking around the forums and Internet but find it all a little confusing ATM. I spent 20 minutes on the trainer the other day and soon realised that I need to structure my workouts and set the space up in order to get any benefit out of it.
ProLite Cuneo

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:28 am

I would love to have some more insight on this as well. Currently I have my bike permanently attached to my trainer, and jump on for a half hour interval session whenever I get a chance. Weather has been pretty bad lately, but like AKO I am still a little clueless as to how to take advantage of my trainer. When spring rolls around I would like to have not lost too much fitness and endurance. Though I have been running more recently in an attempt to keep some form of exercise going
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

fluro2au

Postby fluro2au » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 am

G'day guys,

I completely agree with DD. Just a quick search found this, which has some great sessions
http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-to ... -max-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul
Cipolla Cycling
Coaching Athletes around the world
[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cipolla- ... 77694/[url]

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks fluro but that plan requires a power meter, which I don't have. :(
ProLite Cuneo

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Have a look at Trainer Road.
from my experience it isn't too bad.

You need a trainer which you have, plus a garmin ant + stick/ computer and you can use 'virtual power.' It won't be 100% but will be reasonably consistant. heaps of workouts / programs.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't want to stop people being coached. I have a lot of friends who are coaches (including fluro). If people want to pay money to be told stuff then that's fine by me. But it seems that there is a market for cashed up middle aged gents who have taken up cycling later in life, and who don't have much of a clue about it. They read about heart rate monitors and power meters and training zones and it all seems so complicated, they feel they need an "expert" to tell them what to do.
Riding a bike is a very simple thing. Getting fitter and stronger is very simple. There is nothing mysterious or magic about it.
1. Make sure your bike fit is good so you are comfortable riding. Simple things like correct seat height and stem length. A bike rider with a half decent eye can look at you riding and tell you if you are fitted. No need to pay for an 'expert' fitter in most cases.
2. Train regularly. 4 to 5 days a week. Vary the intensity, some hard days, some easy ..listen to your body, if you are tired train easy, if you feel good, smash it. Vary the terrain, some days flat, some hilly. Some trainer sessions, some road sessions.
3. Progressive overload. That means to gradually make the training rides longer, or harder, or faster. Gradually.
4. Technique. Pedal smoothly and keep your body, head, neck and arms perfectly still and relaxed as you ride. Only thing that should move is your legs. Don't rock or sway. Pedal a good cadence (AT) 90rpm.
Half the world is on shift work, 5 on 5 off, that doesn't sound like rocket science to plan training around those work hours.
I was half serious about the coffee ... look you have guys on here like fluro, Alex Simmons ...Ive done my Level 1 too but that's another topic right there, what a pathetic course that is. But if you want a training plan why not ask on here and I or someone else will post one up for you. Post a different question every day and I will answer it for you. Its simple stuff this bike riding, really it is. Too many people like to complicate things.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Agree with DD, there is more than enough info here to get you started and going well. It just boils down to your commitment. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:06 pm

All good points Derny. I'm more than happy for someone to help me with a training plan but didn't want to burden anyone with it if you know what I mean. I did have a bike fit about 12 months ago which helped immensely with comfort. The shift thing is one reason I bought the trainer. It means I can take the bike with me and train the 5 days I'm at work. I had a quick look at trainer road and might be what I'm looking for. And I didn't really take the offer of a coffe too seriously although I will be down your way around Christmas...... Anyway I'm laid up for a few days with a chest infection so I have plenty of free research time. Cheers guys.
ProLite Cuneo

fluro2au

Postby fluro2au » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 am

AKO wrote:Thanks fluro but that plan requires a power meter, which I don't have. :(
You don't need a PM...Just do a 5min effort MAX...Get an idea what that feels like (RPE) and then base all your efforts on RPE.

Easy peasy.

fluro
Cipolla Cycling

fluro2au

Postby fluro2au » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:15 am

Derny Driver wrote:I don't want to stop people being coached. I have a lot of friends who are coaches (including fluro). If people want to pay money to be told stuff then that's fine by me. But it seems that there is a market for cashed up middle aged gents who have taken up cycling later in life, and who don't have much of a clue about it. They read about heart rate monitors and power meters and training zones and it all seems so complicated, they feel they need an "expert" to tell them what to do.
Riding a bike is a very simple thing. Getting fitter and stronger is very simple. There is nothing mysterious or magic about it.
1. Make sure your bike fit is good so you are comfortable riding. Simple things like correct seat height and stem length. A bike rider with a half decent eye can look at you riding and tell you if you are fitted. No need to pay for an 'expert' fitter in most cases.
2. Train regularly. 4 to 5 days a week. Vary the intensity, some hard days, some easy ..listen to your body, if you are tired train easy, if you feel good, smash it. Vary the terrain, some days flat, some hilly. Some trainer sessions, some road sessions.
3. Progressive overload. That means to gradually make the training rides longer, or harder, or faster. Gradually.
4. Technique. Pedal smoothly and keep your body, head, neck and arms perfectly still and relaxed as you ride. Only thing that should move is your legs. Don't rock or sway. Pedal a good cadence (AT) 90rpm.
Half the world is on shift work, 5 on 5 off, that doesn't sound like rocket science to plan training around those work hours.
I was half serious about the coffee ... look you have guys on here like fluro, Alex Simmons ...Ive done my Level 1 too but that's another topic right there, what a pathetic course that is. But if you want a training plan why not ask on here and I or someone else will post one up for you. Post a different question every day and I will answer it for you. Its simple stuff this bike riding, really it is. Too many people like to complicate things.
Nicely put DD

fluro
Cipolla Cycling

AKO

Postby AKO » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 pm

fluro2au wrote:
AKO wrote:Thanks fluro but that plan requires a power meter, which I don't have. :(
You don't need a PM...Just do a 5min effort MAX...Get an idea what that feels like (RPE) and then base all your efforts on RPE.

Easy peasy.

fluro
So the effort needs to be the max effort I can sustain for 5 mins because there is no way I could sustain my max effort for 5 mins? I have found a few magazine and Internet articles about indoor training and intervals in particular and I'm starting to understand a little better.
ProLite Cuneo