Training based on Heart Rate question

andylo

Training based on Heart Rate question

Postby andylo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:35 am

Hi, just wonder if anyone is using HRM doing their training?

I am only just starting base on this article:
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-28838/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I can understand the zone etc, but what I cannot find on the net is a program utilising these zone. Maybe just because I am dumb as stone and I am missing something here.

What I want to do is able to ride faster avg speed (currently doing speed wise 22.5km/h-23km/h avg) so I can keep up with the bigger boys. Would be very pleasant if I can up my avg speed by 5km/h

My usual ride is about 20KM before work on almost daily basis (last about an hour). While there is some hills, mostly is reasonably flat. (For the Brisbane guy, I am riding from Salisbury, to the CBD along the river, get to UQ and swing back Salisbury thru the back road)

So my question is: to achieve my goal, do I ride and strict myself riding on zone 1/zone 2 for a month? And then move onto zone 3 for a month?

Please let me know if you need any other info from me.

I am using a Garmin 800 + HRM to monitoring my heart rate
My age is 38, male

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by andylo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

fluro2au

Re: Training based on Heart Rate question

Postby fluro2au » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:32 am

G'day Andy,

Your biggest improvements will come from improving your power at Threshold (zone 4 in the article), in your case your FTHR...Spending time in just zones 1 and 2 will just slow down your progress.

Base building is about spending small periods of time at FTHR with long rest intervals, then as you improve increase the amount of time your can hold at FTHR with more intervals, longer intervals and shorter rests.

Base building is about building the capacity to work at threshold, I like to refer to it as "training to b able to train".

Paul
Cipolla Cycling
Coaching Athletes around the world
[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cipolla- ... 77694/[url]

andylo

Postby andylo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks Paul... but what is FTHR? I guess HR = heart rate but not sure about the FT.

Someone just send me this:
http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutri ... g?page=0,1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be nice if you can let me know if this will works well for me?

Thanks again :)

fluro2au

Postby fluro2au » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:03 pm

G'day Andy,

FT = Functional Threshold

Your FTHR is the highest possible average heart rate you can hold for 1hr. You then construct your training zones around that number.
The plan in the link, is basic but good. Plenty of work in there to improve the power you can hold at FTHR.

Give it crack,

Paul
Cipolla Cycling
Coaching Athletes around the world
[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cipolla- ... 77694/[url]

andylo

Postby andylo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks Paul :)

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:45 pm

How long have you been riding? It sounds like this is fairly new to you? If so, don't get caught up too much on heart rate. Just ride, ride, ride. This is the critical time when you teach yourself how to pedal. Use the cadence meter on your Garmin and try to keep between 95 - 105 (except on hills of course). And like I said, ride, ride, ride. When you stop seeing improvements in fitness then move into heart rate training etc.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:17 pm

I agree with the ride, ride, ride philosophy as you need to build the miles in your legs. I would also recommend that you add a few 30-60 second all out effort 'sprints' where safe during you rides to improve your strength - cardio and leg. I've also found that long - 60km+ slow rides also help to increase your endurance. Mix your rides up and you will improve rapidly.
Cheers

Sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

andylo

Postby andylo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for all the input guys :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

andylo, when you've done enough of the ride ride ride and feel it's time to try something to step up, then we do have plans available for riders at most levels, and that are adjusted to suit ability and recent training.

the plan link provided might be fine, but it could easily be too much or not enough for some riders and has an emphasis on short duration intervals which are fine for a quick bump in fitness but it's not typically a sustainable plan for much more than 6 weeks, or for beginners to structured training.

whatever you do, keep it fun, safe and by riding a little more each week (e.g. 15 min) over a couple of months, and gradually up the effort level on some days, with some hills thrown in, you'll pick up nicely. Hills are good, as they are natural intervals efforts as well as good markers for fitness changes.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Just to jump in here, but would LTHR at 167bpm for a 33 year old, max HR at 190, sound a bit high? My experience is that I can maintain 165bpm in the pain train for quite a while, but after doing my FTP test this morning the HR seems a bit high. Looks like most guesstimates have my LTHR around 157 instead??

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Its very individual its through time and testing you find out. I know a few that age or older whose threshold HR is in the 180s, it is no sign of fitness or willingness to suffer its just a number.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm 33 and I did the LT test off training peaks and got 165bpm. When I am climbing though I can hold 170ish fairly easily, much over that and I die quickly.

Ive got no idea if its good or bad, I have just worked out what I can maintain.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Seems pretty individual. I'm 41 and can chat (though not comfortably) at 170bpm. I don't think I'm especially fit, just built that way.

abr89

Postby abr89 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:09 am

From what I have learned over a very long period, the best zone to be training in is 80% of your max HR. In this zone you will experience marked cardiovascular improvements as well as not putting yourself in any danger.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:21 pm

abr89 wrote:From what I have learned over a very long period, the best zone to be training in is 80% of your max HR. In this zone you will experience marked cardiovascular improvements as well as not putting yourself in any danger.
I thought zone calculations took your resting HR into consideration? So simply doing a percent value on your max HR would ignore that aspect. :| FYI for me 80% would be near the top of zone 3 (from memory) - I tend to stick to zone 3 on my rest days.