Commuter world, post your ride here.

isabella24

Re: Commuter world, post your ride here.

Postby isabella24 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Nobody wrote:
isabella24 wrote:My ride:...
Wow. That's probably the smallest 700C frame I've even seen. What size it it?
It's a trek Madone 4.5 WSD 47cm. It has an effective top tube length of 50.9cm. I'm only 158cm tall so it works for me fine :-) and yes they are 700c wheels!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm

isabella24 wrote:and yes they are 700c wheels!
nice Bracc's

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 am

jasonc wrote:
nice Bracc's
Thanks Jasonc. I'd originally purchased Pro-lite Gavias for it, but when I came to fit them to the bike, the larger Gavia hub wouldn't fit between my front fork!

Apparently the xs size Treks have a different shaped/sized front fork to the other Trek sizes. Deon from Pro-lite then fixed me up by sending me the Braccianos instead and I've been very happy with them.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 am

isabella24 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
nice Bracc's
Thanks Jasonc. I'd originally purchased Pro-lite Gavias for it, but when I came to fit them to the bike, the larger Gavia hub wouldn't fit between my front fork!

Apparently the xs size Treks have a different shaped/sized front fork to the other Trek sizes. Deon from Pro-lite then fixed me up by sending me the Braccianos instead and I've been very happy with them.
ah - you're the person in Sydney!

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am

jasonc wrote:
isabella24 wrote:
jasonc wrote: nice Bracc's

ah - you're the person in Sydney!
Yep, I do live in Sydney! Busted! :-)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 pm

isabella24 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
nice Bracc's

I remember this one :-)

Let me know if you ever want to go to 650C frame & wheels, I have something pretty special that'd be perfect for someone your height.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Now with mudguards. Loving the chromoplastics :)

Dogs are the best people :wink:

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:08 am

jacks1071 wrote:
I remember this one :-)

Let me know if you ever want to go to 650C frame & wheels, I have something pretty special that'd be perfect for someone your height.
Thought you might! Thanks for all your help with this Deon, I'll keep the frame in mind if I can't resist n+1!

r0knr0ll

Postby r0knr0ll » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Inspired by Isabella24's small ride, I give you mine.
42cm Surly Crosscheck. This was taken when I first took her home (the reflectors were removed by the boyf to protect my euro-cool look). Since then I've added SKS Chromoplasts. I had to chop some of the front fender because of toe overlap; oh the woes of a short woman.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm

r0knr0ll, that's a fantastic small ride :-) welcome to the short women club! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

r0knr0ll

Postby r0knr0ll » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks Isabella24 :D I've had her for about three months and am absolutely loving it. Only bad thing is that I am about to change jobs and so I don't know if my new place will have the same facilities as my current job for bike commuting. Currently I have two lockers, a shower and a storage room to myself to store the bike, as I'm the only one who rides in! Pretty sure anywhere else I go won't be as good :(

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 am

After 30 years of smoking I discovered vaping and for the last 10 months have been cigarette free :) Feeling better health wise I started walking down to catch a bus, this turned into walking to work however the trip down the stairs from 250m above sea level was killing my knees, so I decided to buy a bike. (I must admit down is great, but I still haven't tackled the 2 km windy road back up to 250m, I'm driving to the bottom of the hill and riding to and from there). Going to work however I've managed to now push my 5 km ride to about 8+ km :)

After some research ( boy have bikes changed in the last 20 years since I bought my last bike) I finally narrowed my choice down to the Giant Roam, Specialized Crosstrail or the Trek DS 8.3. I've got a holiday home with lots of badly maintained gravel roads and there's some goat trails around the back of my house which make nice shortcuts so front suspension actually did make sense. I finally decided the Trek 8.3 was pick of the bunch for me, but going to my LBS, they didn't have the 8.3 in my size. They did however have the 8.4 and the colour (yeah bad criteria) and the hydraulic brakes (250m downhill remember), sold me.

Nothing fancy here but here she is, I haven't modded her much . I managed to get a Topeak Super Tourist for cheap from a bike shop close down sale locally and to that I added a Timbuk2 Hunchback. What I like about the Hunchback is that off the bike it doesn't actually look like a bike bag and I can use it off bike as a camera bag or it'll also hold 12 tinnies or stubbies and ice for those summer BBQs :)
What I use to carry my stuff really does depend on how much I've got to carry. Travel light (phone and wallet) and I'll use an ebay frame bag, slighly more (10-13l) and I'll use the Hunchback and any more I'll either use my medium Timbuk2 Messenger or my custom BO Gear DUB messenger (made locally in Brisbane).
As a rear light I've added a Knob Blinder 4V. This is a great light, and you can see above that it looks much neater than your "traditional" rear light.
One off the "issues" with the Knogs is you can't easily attach to bags or packs where you could easily attach a normal blinkie. You really need a cylinderical post to attached it on. When I'm running my Hunchback, I've dollied up a piece of broom stick so I can still run my Knog.
At night I normally also run a 3 LED cheapo light on the back of my helmet as well for visibility.
For front lighting a Knog Blinder 4, normally in eco-flash however when it gets too dark I've got a 200 lumen Spotlight Shifter 3 to supply more light. Because the Knogs are rechargeable (nice not to have to keep buying batteries and throw expired ones into the environment) I normally run both during the day as well for extra visiblity.

Catching public transort in Tassie isn't anywhere as cheap as on the big Island, it was costing me $4.50 per day to get to and from work, so even at the price of the bike, I should recoup the cost of the bike easily on less than a year. When I first got the bike i really was out of shape and struggling, but over the last few months I've really managed to get my fitness up. I do however envy all you mainlanders who live in flat states. :)

As I say , nothing special, but it's my first new bike in about 20 years. Besides the commute to work I now finding myself doing quick one hour runs ( about 20+k) while waiting for the kids to finish their activities (day or night ) or just sloth off during the day on the weekends to do a quick ride :)
I lurked here on BNA for a while before purchasing and read most of the threads here in the Commute section. Thanks to all for the useful feedback and information I've managed to glean :)
Last edited by limbot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 am

Excellent choice of bike there (IMO!) - I just finished posting in other commuter thread about my 8.4 - I just love it for commuting. I hear what you say about the uphill bit, my ride home is only a 64 metre climb, but the topography of the area means that I lose nearly all of that gained altitude in the last km home, and have to all but start again. This is after a tiring day at work (hope none of my colleagues read this). Still, you will develop fitness with time and eventually, that hill will be conquered.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am

oxonabike wrote: Still, you will develop fitness with time and eventually, that hill will be conquered.
+1
welcome aboard.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 am

Always changing, gotta send back the faulty lights, but sporting a new wheelset...

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 am

^^^I like it.

ray

Postby ray » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Crawf wrote:Always changing, gotta send back the faulty lights, but sporting a new wheelset...
Nice Di2 commuter and fender job. I need to redo mine this weekend before posting.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Crawf wrote:Always changing, gotta send back the faulty lights, but sporting a new wheelset...
Where did you get the fork and front wheel from?
I would like to upgrade my commuter to disc front and hubdynamo in the future.

FLG

Postby FLG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:31 am

This bike is A W E S O M E !
Big inspiration for my next commuter

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Is this the fork?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm

warthog1 wrote:Is this the fork?
Well, the fork below is half the price with a slightly lower A to C. It also has the benefits of being safer with real world durability. But don't let pragmatism get in the way of your inner Cervelo. You need to pay more, because it's lighter and has bling. :P

If you buy the carbon bling fork above, make sure you tell the wife you could have got a more durable one for half the price, but it just didn't look good enough. :lol:

http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/disc_trucker_fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.aebike.com/Surly-Disc-Trucke ... 45716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that Trucker fork is too ugly, below is the one I use. 5mm more A to C that the crabon, but only $70US.
http://www.aebike.com/Dimension-Cross-f ... 11038.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, I think Crawf said he builds his own wheels so it might be a custom build.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Aside from the logo, it looks almost identical to my Winwood fork:

Lynskey does their own version now, but again it looks almost identical is design as the other two:

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/stor ... -fork.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if they are all made at the same place and just customised for each?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 pm

queequeg wrote:
Aside from the logo, it looks almost identical to my Winwood fork:
which looks almost identical to my Nashbar fork, except for added canti mounts.
I wonder if they are all made at the same place and just customised for each?
Yep, EVO

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:16 pm

Nobody wrote: But don't let pragmatism get in the way of your inner Cervelo. You need to pay more, because it's lighter and has bling. :P

If you buy the carbon bling fork above, make sure you tell the wife you could have got a more durable one for half the price, but it just didn't look good enough. :lol: .
Get stuffed :x

:lol: :lol:
Nobody wrote: http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/disc_trucker_fork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.aebike.com/Surly-Disc-Trucke ... 45716.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that Trucker fork is too ugly, below is the one I use. 5mm more A to C that the crabon, but only $70US.
http://www.aebike.com/Dimension-Cross-f ... 11038.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I'll have to get a harris tweed jacket with elbow patches to go with that fork, not to mention the tobacco pipe I'll also be needing :P
There goes the money I'll be saving by buying the bit of bent pipe. :x

Thanks for your help though Nobody :) That Surly fork looks to be the go
I've still got no money and I'm still dreaming at the moment. It's back to being wet and I'm back to grinding my rims away with the brakes, sounds terrible :shock:
Last edited by warthog1 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks Matt and Queequeg :)
That nashbar fork is a good price too, maybe with the tax return
Better start my campaign now