Idiocy rises to a new high on Anzac Bridge

sogood

Idiocy rises to a new high on Anzac Bridge

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Just drove on Anzac Bridge this afternoon going West. To my amazement, a cyclist was riding the inside lane going up to the crest of the bridge. Cars were banked up and making avoidances while he squeezed himself right against the middle divider and not take the full lane nor riding at a decent pace. Just asking for trouble and a tragedy waiting to happen.

Whilst I have seen the occasional riders riding the bridge using the outer most lane, this one takes it to a new level!

I don't know if there's a reason why this guy is riding the way he did. To make a statement? Or just got caught by the traffic flow? Irrespective, someone needs to remind these guys that there's a dedicated shared path on the bridge.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

othy

Re: Idiocy rises to a new high on Anzac Bridge

Postby othy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:05 pm

I witnessed a guy on Anzac Bridge climb over the barrier with his bike from the shared path into the traffic lane (near the gazebo). I assume he wanted to continue straight along the freeway for some crazy reason.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Doable in the middle of the night when traffic density is very low I guess. But in the middle of the day when traffic is fast and heavy? Beyond sense.

Yet, I have not seen a no cycling sign on approaches to the bridge. Surely us cyclist don't need to be nannied on these, right?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I have no idea which lane you consider to be the inside (yes this was the cause of driving arguments in my family until we settled on left and right.

In years gone past I would ride a moto across the Anzac Bridge in peak hours - given the stupidity displayed by drivers trying to change lanes left & right, there is no way I would be riding a bicycle across there, in any lane.

Of course one of the reasons I wouldn't ride there east bound, is that most days, even a old fat, slow bloke can ride faster than the cars :D

TTar

Postby TTar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:20 pm

sogood wrote:
I don't know if there's a reason why this guy is riding the way he did. To make a statement? Or just got caught by the traffic flow? Irrespective, someone needs to remind these guys that there's a dedicated shared path on the bridge.

Who knows, but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt in such circumstances.

I remember the first time I tried to find the Anzac and SHB paths, both are signposted (I've since discovered) but not very well -- I ended up in all sorts of places trying to find them, but you'd have to be really tuned out to inadvertently end up where this rider was.

A nice little sign every 50 metres or so directing you to the bridges stenciled on the approaching paths where you can actually make them out, unlike the small signs on poles disappearing in the surrounding clutter, would make a huge difference.
Sent from my fortified compound

TTar

Postby TTar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:I have no idea which lane you consider to be the inside (yes this was the cause of driving arguments in my family until we settled on left and right.

I'm guessing middle (of the bridge), but it was the cause of fights in my clan too. Nowadays we just point and grunt.
Sent from my fortified compound

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 pm

I saw a rider in the Sydney harbour tunnel once.

Btw, I think you've mixed up the terms inside and outside lane. Are you saying he was in the rightmost lane? That's insane.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Seems pretty crazy. Any wagons or SUVs with cameras nearby at the time? AKA coming to A Current Whinge sometime soon.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:I have no idea which lane you consider to be the inside (yes this was the cause of driving arguments in my family until we settled on left and right.
"Inside lane" is also referred as "overtaking lane" ie. To driver's right and closet to oncoming traffic. It was just crazy to see that cyclist peddling slowly in that lane, squeezed right against the centre divider.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 pm

herzog wrote:Btw, I think you've mixed up the terms inside and outside lane. Are you saying he was in the rightmost lane? That's insane.
Yes, today's daredevil cyclist was in the rightmost lane, going West. Didn't exactly see what kind of bike he was on but he was going quite slow and climbing, all the while squeezed himself within a meter of that white centre divider, well away from the centre of that lane. If he was protesting, then I would suspect the rider would know to "claim the lane". The way he rode, he could get knocked out by vehicles in the same direct, and possibly even by vehicles coming in the opposite with nowhere to escape. Irrespective of how one does it on the approach to the bridge, it'll have to be a very deliberate move to put oneself in that position.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 pm

g-boaf wrote:Seems pretty crazy. Any wagons or SUVs with cameras nearby at the time? AKA coming to A Current Whinge sometime soon.
Nothing like that. It was just an isolated rider. With banking of vehicles behind him, the rider was not in my line of sight until the car in front of me weaved left to overtake. I followed thereafter. Just death wish!

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 pm

By convention, the gutter lane = Lane 1. The next lane to the right is Lane 2 etc.

Either way, the rider must be crazy!
2010 BMC SLC01