Drop bars, disc brakes and guards/racks

nezumi

Drop bars, disc brakes and guards/racks

Postby nezumi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:20 pm

So, building on from my previous post, I am looking at the following bikes as a commuter to travel ~18 Km each way in all weather.

Genesis:
Croix de Fer: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... oix-de-fer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CdF: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... de-fer/cdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vapour: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... apour-disc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charge Filter Hi: http://chargebikes.com/products/filter-hi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boardman CX Team/Comp: http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_comp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Carbon forks - no mudguards?)

Mongoose Rogue: http://www.mongoose.com/aus/rogue-19593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Hydraulic disc brakes apparently?)

Norco Threshold: http://99bikes.com.au/norco-threshold-a ... r-red-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whyte King's Cross: http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 58&xSec=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kona Rove: http://konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=rove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Waiting list of September?)

Is part of the list I've built so far.

As far as the derailleurs etc goes, is there a benefit to me to pay upfront for higher end gear, or am I better off getting something with lower end gear and looking at them as "consumables"?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

moosterbounce

Re: Drop bars, disc brakes and guards/racks

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 pm

I bought the Cannondale caadx ultegra last year. Also considered the whyte but am not a fan of SRAM. I love the caadx. Mr Moo had a brief stint with a tcx and preferred the geometry of the 'dale.

Honestly, the group set will be at consumable eventually. Cassettes, chains etc will be replaced. Shifters and cranks? Nah. But will you notice?

rjk

Postby rjk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 am

you have a pretty comprehensive list there.... my advice is ride them, your bum will tell you...if your bum doesnt like it dont buy...nothing worse than having to put up with a complaining bum :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 am

Yeh pretty good list, hard to pick especially when you cant ride most.
That Norco is pretty cheap, the groupset isnt the best, but its easily replaced once you get the urge to upgrade.
Remember the frame is the most important thing, everything else can be replaced eventually when you have a better idea of what you want.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

I had a discussion about the Norco Threshold with my LBS...we agreed there's more room to move in that price...sub $1000 easy. The spec might 'sound' cheap but it's far from crap. Whack a decent set of wheels on it (as opposed to the basic set it has) and it'll be a really pleasant thing to ride!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 am

Not sure about guards but looks like racks are possible on this:
http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bik ... isccompact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

Norco looks good to me to. Your primary use for this is as a commuter, and for that a combo of Sora FD and Tiagra RD is absolutely fine. At the end of the day a FD is just a cage for shoving the chain left and right, and pretty much any will do. A Tiagra RD these days is a rebadged 105 from a couple of years back so there's nothing wrong with that. Once you go beyond 105 in Shimano there's little performance gain, you make weight savings.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

AP81

Postby AP81 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 pm

+1 for the Norco. If you're willing to spend a little more the Threshold A1 is one nice bike and is currently on my to buy list. The A3 is fine, and the new Sora is actually quite good. Hayes CX-5 are decent brakes. The main thing however is that you can test ride here, rather than buying blindly from overseas.

As much as I like Genesis bikes, be mindful that warranties will be a pain and costly. Also, you'll be slugged with import tax, as with the Boardman CX which is also a great bike.

Be weary of the Mongoose Rogue. I think it is actually hi-ten steel.
Steel - is - real

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:22 pm

MattyK wrote:Not sure about guards but looks like racks are possible on this:
http://www.specialized.com/au/en-au/bik ... isccompact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice on the eye, can't see any mudguard eyelets either.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Crawf wrote:
MattyK wrote:Not sure about guards but looks like racks are possible on this:
Nice on the eye, can't see any mudguard eyelets either.
Mudguard eyelets can be easily added via p-clips. As they aren't really load bearing, it isn't much of an issue. Rack mounts are far more important. The secteur can't fit anything wider than a 28" tyre, so that is a fairly limiting factor.
Steel - is - real

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Yes but they look like a55, and depending on tube sizing you may not be able to find big enough p-clips. Been there done that.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Trying to fit a front guard would be more the problem...

greatapoc

Postby greatapoc » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:56 pm

How about a Jamis Bosanova?

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 pm

greatapoc wrote:How about a Jamis Bosanova?
I was about to suggest the same!

A friend bought one recently. Nice bike, not terribly pricey either.

Btw, Nezumi, I saw your previous post re: commute from Heidelberg. I have a surly cross check which I've set up with pannier racks and mud guards as my everywhere bike. Surly doesn't represent particularly good value compared to the Norco you've posted, or the Charge or the Jamis for that matter, but I'm really happy with it.

One thing to consider is once you get your sizing and fit right, there may be a few things you'll end up wanting to change based on your experiences riding. You probably won't have any idea of what these changes are until you actually start commuting regularly - so perhaps go with something that feels good, that doesn't hurt the wallet too much, but expect to make a few adjustments here and there.

Also, as I'm only down the road from you in Northcote, I'd be happy to talk you through my bike if you'd like - its likely to be too small for you for a test ride, but happy to talk you through some of the things I've learnt from commuting (i.e., mudguards, pannier racks and good lights are essential). PM if you're interested.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:22 pm

misterhorsey wrote:
greatapoc wrote:How about a Jamis Bosanova?
I was about to suggest the same!

Btw, Nezumi, I saw your previous post re: commute from Heidelberg. I have a surly cross check which I've set up with pannier racks and mud guards as my everywhere bike. Surly doesn't represent particularly good value compared to the Norco you've posted, or the Charge or the Jamis for that matter, but I'm really happy with it.

Also, as I'm only down the road from you in Northcote, I'd be happy to talk you through my bike if you'd like - its likely to be too small for you for a test ride, but happy to talk you through some of the things I've learnt from commuting (i.e., mudguards, pannier racks and good lights are essential). PM if you're interested.
I had seen that one, It was on my mental list to check out.

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to take you up on it, but it will have to be at least two weekends away - the perils of life. I'll be in touch.

As much as I want a nice shiny new bike, I agree that I should shy away from laying down all my cash on something which I may upgrade within the year.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey Nezumi, no rush - drop me a line if you spy a free day/night. I'm pretty busy myself but happy to continue my commute beyond northcote to meet up. I reckon you can pretty much commute on anything if you don't care too much about it, but if you want to fine tune your experience its interesting to compare a bike brand new in the shop with one that's done commuting duties for a few years.

If there's one major change I might introduce one day, it would be a dynamo hub. For the quality of the light as well as the absence of batteries. Also, I quite like the aesthetics and the nice ride of steel.

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:02 pm

There's also the Merida CX 4 Disc:
http://www.merida.com.au/2013-bikes/cyc ... ross-4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that while the pictures online don't show eyelets, they exist on the production models. I noticed the same thing with the 2012 model, which I own. No eyelets in the online pictures, but lugs at both the front and rear forks, plus lugs up on the seat stay for a rack

I've got very few complaints about my 2012 model, and I ride the same distance you're talking about 5 days/week. Replaced tyres with Schwalbe MPs, added some SKS fenders and a Topeak rack+bag, and she's a solid commuter that gets me to/from work with no fuss every day.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Avanti Circa 2 also looks good
Steel - is - real

holmesy

Postby holmesy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Jumping on the thread, same questions/ requirements, except I currently have a giant cypress, with its 28/38/48 triple and 11-34T- I granny gear on my last hill after 25km commute home in either 1/3 or 1/2 if there is a north-east'r(quite often) and as such I am worried if a double compact will allow me to take the easy way out. So given I currently use the triple in low gear for steep hills, should I stick with the triple or will compact double be ok?

From an aesthetic view,the look of the whyte kings cross (the nicest looking bike i have seen for a while!)and the genesis vapour do it for me (which of course is 99% of why you should buy!) but I couldn't be arsed with import so it might rule them out, the avanti above is also a looker and would do me (apart from the question of a double v triple) and the jamis with a triple is a contender

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 am

Thene there's also the new Specialized AWOL.

Special interchangeable frame ends allow it to be set-up as SS, derailleur or IGH (mmm.... Rohloff!). Split-frame for belt-drive as well.

More discussion of it, and more photos here:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:14 am

il padrone wrote:Thene there's also the new Specialized AWOL.
Be interesting to see what the geometry charts look like.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:18 am

il padrone wrote:Thene there's also the new Specialized AWOL.

Special interchangeable frame ends allow it to be set-up as SS, derailleur or IGH (mmm.... Rohloff!). Split-frame for belt-drive as well.

Seems like a good idea, especially if you've only got space for a single frame, but my god it's ugly!

You should cross post in the ugly bike thread.
Sent from my fortified compound

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 am

TTar wrote:You should cross post in the ugly bike thread.
Can't see why it's ugly, but I suppose it comes down to what your taste is normalised to for each of us. If anything, I thought is was better looking than my current bike which is built for a similar application.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Nobody wrote:
TTar wrote:You should cross post in the ugly bike thread.
Can't see why it's ugly,
"Too" thin seat stays, top tube and forks. Fat tyres and disc brakes on a frame they normally would have no business being on. Those brifters and that saddle also have no business being on that frame. The handlebars make a mockery of the "drop" part of drop handlebars. The pedals might be perfectly appropriate for that configuration, but (surely you'd agree) they're just plain ugly on that bike. The silver FD grates with the otherwise black themed ensemble. The crank arms look "stubby and heavy duty" clashing with the "classy" look of the rest of the crank. It would be unfair to express a dislike of the frame end's appearance, but on top of everything else... :?

I'm just reacting to a photo and of course it might be different in the flesh, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who likes the look of this Frankenstein of a bike.
Sent from my fortified compound

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm

This one is looking interesting to me, although it remains to be seen whether it will arrive here through Trek or have to be shipped personally:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/to ... /crossrip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;