My first race

Chooka

My first race

Postby Chooka » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am

Well after having my bike for approximately 6-7 months now I finally racked up the courage to enter my first race. I was only a small local road race and due to low numbers I had 2 choices, start in 'd' grade and do 1 lap of the circuit (17.5km) or race 'c' grade with the 'B' graders (2 laps/35km). I chose the latter as I wanted to try the longer distance. What can I say, what an eye opener! The pace was electric right off the bat, one of the 'b' graders signaled for me to hop on his wheel which was an offer I couldn't refuse. I managed to hang on to the back of the pack for 13.5km but the pace they went up the second last hill was just too quick for me so I dropped off the back. I rode the next 21.5km solo, finishing around 5mins behind the 'b' grade winner, pretty happy with my ride and totally in awe of the riders in the higher grades!
Definitely hooked, now to prepare for the next one!
One thing I did notice was my heart rate data on strava afterwards, not sure what to make of it, seems pretty high...

http://app.strava.com/activities/51059231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

trek52

Re: My first race

Postby trek52 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm

your HR means you are on your limit.

Bike racing is so different to training or really any other sport as you have no control over your pace, you have to go as fast as the guys you are racing. The best way to improve is to race more :)

Well done...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Chooka wrote:Well after having my bike for approximately 6-7 months now I finally racked up the courage to enter my first race. I was only a small local road race and due to low numbers I had 2 choices, start in 'd' grade and do 1 lap of the circuit (17.5km) or race 'c' grade with the 'B' graders (2 laps/35km). I chose the latter as I wanted to try the longer distance. What can I say, what an eye opener! The pace was electric right off the bat, one of the 'b' graders signaled for me to hop on his wheel which was an offer I couldn't refuse. I managed to hang on to the back of the pack for 13.5km but the pace they went up the second last hill was just too quick for me so I dropped off the back. I rode the next 21.5km solo, finishing around 5mins behind the 'b' grade winner, pretty happy with my ride and totally in awe of the riders in the higher grades!
Definitely hooked, now to prepare for the next one!
One thing I did notice was my heart rate data on strava afterwards, not sure what to make of it, seems pretty high...

http://app.strava.com/activities/51059231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How did you arrive at the max HR? If you came to 187 because you are 33 then I'd say that the old formula is only an average. There is a wide range around other physical averages like height, weight etc and max HR is no different. Your max HR may actually be 190 (and you were close to dying) or it might be 210 and you were taking it easy. What I can see from your HR is that it decreased on the downhills, so it at least looks like you are reasonably fit. A few more races in C grade will likely show some good improvement.

Since the data was there I saw that there was also quite a big jump in cadence (from 82 to 111) at the start of the hill where you got dropped. Would that be from a down shift on the front? You might try going up a gear or two on the back just before the front shift to minimise its impact. (I usually avoid doing front and rear shifts at exactly the same time though).

Cheers,

Cameron

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:40 pm

ironhanglider wrote:How did you arrive at the max HR? If you came to 187 because you are 33 then I'd say that the old formula is only an average.
that's the measured maximum, not theoretical maximum.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 pm

jules21 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:How did you arrive at the max HR? If you came to 187 because you are 33 then I'd say that the old formula is only an average.
that's the measured maximum, not theoretical maximum.

:oops: Oops, for some reason I thought that you plugged your max HR into Strava so that it could calculate how much it hurt or something or other.

I'm sure that there are many people with fast-revving engines who exceed the 220 - age number. I have seen athletes hooked up to telemetry who hit numbers towards 210 in competition.

Just like I'm sure that there are many who can't get over 160 or so.

The important metric is how close that is to the OP's real max HR.

But there are others here who can provide more meaningful insight.

Cheers,

Cameron

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am

ironhanglider wrote:I'm sure that there are many people with fast-revving engines who exceed the 220 - age number. I have seen athletes hooked up to telemetry who hit numbers towards 210 in competition.
it's not hard to exceed your 220 - age max. in fact, that's a very rough estimate - any race-fit cyclist should be able to safely exceed that "limit" - congenital or other defects notwithstanding.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Good on ya Chooka, now you know what to expect. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 pm

My last race I averaged 170bpm, with a max of 200bpm. Everyone is different and the 'general guides' often do not apply to anyone who does a reasonable amount of exercise.

If you are truly concerned, best to see your doctor and get a referral to a cardiologist. That way you'll get to do a fun HR test to boot!

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Well done mate, glad you had fun. I want to have a go myself but can't build up the courage. Good on you :D

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Nice one Chooka, it's addictive, be warned :)
I average more than my max HR (220 - age) every race, in fact I should really be 30 years old again based on that formula 8)

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Good on ya Chooka.

Give it a crack capt'! No one give a hoot if you are slow or fast, you are almost certain to find people around your level and have a great time racing with them.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 pm

thecaptn wrote:Well done mate, glad you had fun. I want to have a go myself but can't build up the courage. Good on you :D
Just do it. it's daunting at first but really it's just a bike ride with a few mates (that you want to smash :twisted: )

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll start with some of the local bunch training rides to see where I'm at and take it from there :)

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:19 am

Any updates what are you up to now?
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Impressive... I am not even game to join in a social ride yet :-)

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Retro man wrote:Any updates what are you up to now?
I've done two more, a criterium and a TT. I came second in the Criterium, my aim was to just keep up and if I had some legs left sprint for a place, I was absolutely stoked with my race, pipped another rider by a wheel for second after turning for the final corner in about 4th or 5th place. http://app.strava.com/activities/62031538
Finish line pic :D
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6781_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the 20km TT I had no idea what to expect, so I read a heap online about breaking it down into segments, it seemed to work, I came first (only 2 in my grade) averaged 33.3kph. http://app.strava.com/activities/63669055

Need to save a bit of cash so I can get another race lic. (I only bought a 3 race one).

Addicted? Yes!
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice job! Looks like a lumpy little crit course! :)