Olmo.! what's that?

grnorton

Olmo.! what's that?

Postby grnorton » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Well coming to road bikes late in life and triathlons as well. I invested in an Avanti Corsa and it was a joy, BUT I thought as I improved that I needed to upgrade.

For the money I was thinking about an Orbea, but was enticed to an OLMO. It seems that no one is who is anyone in the triathlon crowd know about them other than they are old.. and given my age, they look at me with a condescending and knowing look.

Well this beast is FABULOUS!

My friends simply point out that no one has seen an OLMO in the Tour de France!! Just you wait has been my response

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Olmo

http://www.olmo.it/

The bicycle brand of the Italian rider.

They made some really nice old bikes. Watch out as most of the newer frames are now made in Taiwan and the decals and paint jobs can be a bit naff.

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:07 am

Yes I rapidly was made aware of that when I was researching new bikes and I was specfic about the origin of the frame and I was clearly told by the reputable bike shop that my frame WAS made in Italy and indeed that was one of the reasons that I paid up!

Sorrry what is 'NAF'?

The colour is unique!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:47 am

grnorton wrote:Sorrry what is 'NAF'?
In my meager understanding: naff = garish, w*nky, colourful, daggy, tryhard, etc.

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 am

well that could certainly be a possibility! :) Mind you I thought it may have been
Not Actually F%^$ Finished.....!!!

cheers

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm

been shopping at Turtur's have we?

Olmo's are nice bikes, equivalent to Orbea in many ways, I always thought. Not common anymore after a dealer ruckus a few years ago. Mittiga's on The Parade used to sell a lot of them.

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Who's a clever boy! :)

I was nor going to mention the bike shop lest I be accused of either owning the place or being a salesman!!!
Graham
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

stevos

Postby stevos » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 pm

i was looking at that bike in turters about a month ago. I was very intrested by the handlebars, they are a weird shape, just wondering if you have been on any long rides on them how they feel?

I have been into mike turter a few times and everytime i go there they are more than helpfull, having said that i have only bought a few items from there, saddle bag, helmet, lube, bidons.

The last few times in particular i have been in there the service i have recieved has been great, i wont be going back to the jt's store i was going to because ive been unhappy with them the last few times i have been in there.
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." -Lance Armstrong

grnorton

Postby grnorton » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:06 am

Hi thanks and yes the handle bars have a most unusual profile! I was told that the rather 'flat, elliptical" shape towards the centre is for better feel and stbility on long rides and a stable cadence and effort. They are carbon I think

In my *limited" experience, the bike feels very comfortable for me as a 'total package ( up to 650 km so far) and this I think reflects the bike as a whole and the time and effort that was taken to ensure that I was 'fitted' to the bike even to the extent of making sure that my cleats were centred on the ball of my foot and straight ahead on the pedal.

Each time I ride it I learn something new and feel better! Its even safe and relatively light and responsive when standing!! ( Up the hill at Kangaroo Creek)
Graham
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:59 am

The handle bar form is quite modern - meant to also have some ergonomic advantages and as a rider you will love it or hate it. If you are doing triathlons I would image that you would fit aerobars.

It looks like your seat post, cranks and even bottle holders are carbon fibre so would find it hard to imagine that the handlebars are steel :)

I love the 70s and 80s olmos - stylish bikes and still enough of them around the streets in Europe. I have seen some nice fixed wheel conversions with old olmo frames.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

HitsOfMisses

Postby HitsOfMisses » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Nice ride.

How does the newer Olmo compares to their vintage ride in terms of workmanship & ride quality?

grnorton

Olmo

Postby grnorton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:34 pm

I can't answer your question as I have never ridden an Olmo bicycle before. Indeed until Amy's ride on the weekend, I thought I was the only person in Adelaide to have one! As I was passing (!!!) hundreds of people on the freeway I happened to pass someone on an older alloy Olmo!

All I know is that I find it a beautiful ride in terms of the position that I am on the bike , not at all tiring and a general sense of it's speed and being slippery yet at the same time I feel in absolute control. I am now up to almost 3800 kilometres since I bought it. A few weeks ago I did a ride along the great Ocean Road.
Graham