Riders down St Lucia Friday 05/07

marinmomma

Riders down St Lucia Friday 05/07

Postby marinmomma » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am

Came across an accident this morning on Upland Rd near the corner of Sir William Macgregor Drive intersects, apparently two riders crash head on there.
We went past around 5:45-5:50 all under control thankfully however kudos to the other riders who went out of their way to warn oncoming riders at Sir WM drive of the accident and then another rider directing everyone onto the footpath, I'm sure their actions minimized potential for extra carnage this morning.

And all the best for a speedy recovery to the riders involved.
Lisa

Marto

Re: Riders down St Lucia Friday 05/07

Postby Marto » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:03 pm

The road was still blocked off there at 8:45 am, with the cops/investigators going over the scene and apparently marking out the scene. That made me think the worst.

So it was a bicycle-bicycle head-on?

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Marto wrote:The road was still blocked off there at 8:45 am, with the cops/investigators going over the scene and apparently marking out the scene. That made me think the worst.

I was riding towards the scene from the direction of the uni at around 6:45 and there were still 2 ambulances on site as well as Upland Road completely blocked off. It was away from the intersection by a fair bit; I can't see how a head on could have happened? My group has occasionally nearly been cut off by a truck turning left into one of the colleges from Upland Rd. That was my first thought.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Went past must have been almost bang on 6. Surprised it was a head on. Did see a few doing reverse loops as we were heading the traditional anti-clockwise.

We followed the UQ emergency vehicle along sir william macgregor and the stopped just in front of King's College as we thought it may have involved some mates who headed off earlier than us. Wasn't. Heard other cyclists talking to whoever was on the ground, telling them where they were etc. typical concussion stuff.

Relieved to learn no cars were involved, but now learning the road was closed off, hoping all are ok. Did look very serious.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Marto wrote:The road was still blocked off there at 8:45 am, with the cops/investigators going over the scene and apparently marking out the scene. That made me think the worst.

That doesn't sound good, my understanding was it was a head-on between two cyclists, if one rider didn't have lights I understand how it may have happened.

The roads around the entire loop are popular clockwise or traditional route, I have noticed that the clockwise loop is become increasingly so over the past 6 months, maybe due to being a happy(ier) hunting ground for Strava segments, however the are a few intersections which are somewhat dangerous due to riders, travelling in the traditional direction, cutting corners, especially through the Chelmer/Gracville extension and at Diane and Anita St Yeronga.

Possibly what happened this morning at Upland St.
Lisa

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:29 pm

marinmomma wrote:

That doesn't sound good, my understanding was it was a head-on between two cyclists, if one rider didn't have lights I understand how it may have happened.

The roads around the entire loop are popular clockwise or traditional route, I have noticed that the clockwise loop is become increasingly so over the past 6 months, maybe due to being a happy(ier) hunting ground for Strava segments, however the are a few intersections which are somewhat dangerous due to riders, travelling in the traditional direction, cutting corners, especially through the Chelmer/Gracville extension and at Diane and Anita St Yeronga.

Possibly what happened this morning at Upland St.
FWIW, and may not have anything to do with what happened this morning - BUT
- the habit of Uni college students parking their cars on both sides of the (narrow) Upland road near this intersection is really stupid and should be prevented.
This happens mostly on the weekends.

Reverse riverloop ? - i did try this afew month ago and concluded that it is not to be recommended, mainly because of visibility issues- riding directly into the rising sun glare.

tjkubicki

Postby tjkubicki » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 am

How are the riders involved fairing?

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am

Via another cycling group, apparently the female cyclist who was in the bunch heading out-bound is in a pretty bad way, still in ICU with spinal and facial injuries.

Has anyone heard how the in-bound cyclist is?

Take care out there people,
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Yikes. Hope both parties end up recovering well.

Any further details on what happened/how it came about? I just can't picture a head on in that area unless it was in complete darkness with a ninja rider.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: I just can't picture a head on in that area unless it was in complete darkness with a ninja rider.
Me too. Can't be even the most extreme case of cutting the corner, so maybe someone entering the road from the footpath or driveway.

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Saw some Facebook posts about this.

Apparently female rider was part of a largish bunch. Solo male rider commuting in the opposite direction. Appears to be a head on collision. Unsure who is at fault

The male is stable in hospital. Unfortunately the female has severe injuries, including crushed spinal cord, will likely be permanent damage. Facial and arm injuries too. Apparently she was a well know and experienced racer.

Like the others said. I can't really picture how this happened. My only thought is a large bunch perhaps more than 2 abreast and the solo rider had no room to avoid them. The road is pretty wide there tho. Maybe lack of headlights?

River loop really is getting crazy. Some of the bunches I see are huge, an accident waiting to happen not to mention it just angers the car drivers and sleeping locals. I'd much rather do a reverse river loop solo or with a couple friends. If you want to find tune your sprint train, head out of the city and onto a country road IMO.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 am

From what I saw, 10 minutes after it happened... I'd assume large bunch heading outbound taking the left onto Upland Rd swinging wide and rider coming inbound being faced with fast moving oncoming bunch and had no where to go. Sounds like the female rider was forced wide and the collision was unavoidable. The accident was a little way from the intersection, say 50m, so I'd discount corner cutting from the inbound rider.

Saw quite a few very large bunches go past whilst waiting for our group. At the accident location there were about 10-12 riders in attendance, so not a huge group.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah I've noticed as well that the riverloop is gaining in the amount of large group riders. Not only is it annoying for drivers its also annoying for single riders that catch up to some of these large slower groups at the worst times and get stuck behind from UQ to Indro station :P

Ah right. So pretty much between the two driveways into Kings College after the median/painted lines on Upland road? I could see how that could be an issue with parked cars forcing a bunch group wide. Still a very weird place for a head on when you try to picture it. Hope the female rider makes the best recovery that she can.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 am

It's possible that the lone rider was riding on the right side of the road - ie: salmoning. Sounds crazy, but you see all sorts of things on the roads around UQ (as elsewhere).

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote: Ah right. So pretty much between the two driveways into Kings College after the median/painted lines on Upland road? I could see how that could be an issue with parked cars forcing a bunch group wide. Still a very weird place for a head on when you try to picture it. Hope the female rider makes the best recovery that she can.
It happened during uni holidays. There weren't any parked cars as far as I could see. Really makes no sense at all. Best wishes for a recovery for the injured riders.

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Marto wrote:It's possible that the lone rider was riding on the right side of the road - ie: salmoning. Sounds crazy, but you see all sorts of things on the roads around UQ (as elsewhere).
From what I have seen written - the solo rider was on the correct side of the road.
Perhaps the bunch went wide and an outside rider was forced over the middle of the road into the oncoming rider.
They should count themselves somewhat lucky that there wasnt any cars involved or it couldve been a whole lot worse I suppose.

Its really sad that the female rider is now wheelchair bound for something that could easily be avoided. :(

Ill stick to my solo riverloops i think - All the strava segements/bunch sprint bragging rights in the world arent worth that for me.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Venus62 wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Ah right. So pretty much between the two driveways into Kings College after the median/painted lines on Upland road? I could see how that could be an issue with parked cars forcing a bunch group wide. Still a very weird place for a head on when you try to picture it. Hope the female rider makes the best recovery that she can.
It happened during uni holidays. There weren't any parked cars as far as I could see. Really makes no sense at all. Best wishes for a recovery for the injured riders.
There was 1 parked White Corolla facing away from the uni on the colleges side of the road. The accident happened between it and the intersection, so maybe a factor with the bunch swinging wide in preparation to avoid it??

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 pm

clydesmcdale wrote: There was 1 parked White Corolla facing away from the uni on the colleges side of the road. The accident happened between it and the intersection, so maybe a factor with the bunch swinging wide in preparation to avoid it??
Must have missed it with all the emergency vehicles around. So yes, that could be it... Wonder if the solo guy had a light? There were quite a few without that morning that my group went past when it was still dark enough to need them.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 am

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all.The inappropriate speed, inexperience and straight out irresponsible conduct you see on that loop in the early morning is incredible.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all.The inappropriate speed, inexperience and straight out irresponsible conduct you see on that loop in the early morning is incredible.
Might be a bit harsh. I still fear the tradey with a pie & a breaka more than other riders.

As to the situation, I'm "guilty" of overtaking big groups on the outbound Upland Rd section so it could easily happen. Mind you, you can see my Ay-Ups from a mile away, and we're usually rounding there ~ 5:25am.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:45 am

I don't think i'm being harsh. There is a certain level of technical ability required to do that loop at speed. There are probably hundreds of people each week who are exceeding their capabilities. It makes for a dangerous situation. A lot of the bike paths are no better. I am only riding in Brisbane from time to time these days and without fail at least a dozen morons will pass me on the Centennial going way too fast looking quite clearly like they have no idea how to steer a bicycle. It's a dangerous situation (again). I'm not suggesting that this crash was directly caused by a lack of skill, I'm just saying that with the average skill level you see on that loop (regrettably) the crashes will happen.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au