LWB Recumbent - Touring and Audax

Aushiker

LWB Recumbent - Touring and Audax

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi

I started a thread in the touring section on touring on a LWB recumbent but I suspect some recumbent riders may not visit there so hence this cross posting. Interested in feedback from a commuting/Audax perspective as well on the options so if you have a mo please do drop into the other thread.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Re: LWB Recumbent - Touring and Audax

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

What ever happened to that LWB that was being developed locally, had remote steering to avoid tiller bars and a built-in fairing? Was a collaboration with Cruzbike of sorts.

Edit: I found some details, was called the Sigma and had a website no longer maintained (as well as fanfare on BROL) so i guess John Tolhurst didn't take this into production. Might still be a couple of prototypes kicking around Perth if Andrew wants to try a different LWB.

exadios

Postby exadios » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 pm

The Sigmas that I've seen would make good touring bikes.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:25 pm

If you're interested in the Sigma there are still some old stock bikes available. If you're interested then get in contact with John via the Cruzbiking.com.au website. Either John or Kim will answer your queries.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I saw a LWB (I was driving) on Cockburn Road heading south yesterday. It was fitted out with a blue sock. Would love to chat to the rider ...

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Somebody here might know the owner.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WAHPV/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 am

Not really, he doesn't ride with WAHPV. I'll pass the message along to him, got to see him tomorrow about mounting lights in front of his fairing anyway.

Edit: PM sent.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:55 pm

There's an Easyracer LWB recumbent for sale on the OZHPV site.

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/forsale/forsale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:I saw a LWB on Cockburn Rd ... would love to chat to the rider
Heard that you got a chance to try the TourEasy out today, what do you think of the bike in general?
Bear in mind that this is a 20 year old bike and if you went for a TE or similar LWB now you wouldn't be seeing the old parts and lashed-together bits. In fact I was just there today to install a light mount to fit in front of the fairing and managed to convince him to let me machine an improved top mount for his fairing, it appears that the fairing had popped off one corner during your test ride. I don't like the handlebars, not because of the narrowness but because there is so little adjustment available to for height and angle of the grips. And the bike is long, but then again it'd be a limousine out on a tour.
Thoughts?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I saw a LWB on Cockburn Rd ... would love to chat to the rider
Heard that you got a chance to try the TourEasy out today, what do you think of the bike in general?
Besides nearly taking out a pot plant or three when I wobbled down the driveway, it went great. Thanks for putting me on to Darryl. Great bloke.
Bear in mind that this is a 20 year old bike and if you went for a TE or similar LWB now you wouldn't be seeing the old parts and lashed-together bits. In fact I was just there today to install a light mount to fit in front of the fairing and managed to convince him to let me machine an improved top mount for his fairing, it appears that the fairing had popped off one corner during your test ride.
Yeah, appreciate that and did notice the fairing had popped out. I like the overall design for sure. My only niggle was the narrowness of the handlebars, but then that maybe something one gets used to.
I don't like the handlebars, not because of the narrowness but because there is so little adjustment available to for height and angle of the grips. And the bike is long, but then again it'd be a limousine out on a tour.
Thoughts?
I really like the design and I think a Gold Rush Replica would be a great way to go but and it is a big but for me is that the price of the new Gold Rush Replica has now jumped to around US$4,500 I believe (BROL pricing), I can see the length being an issue for me both at home and at work (commuting) and one thing I wanted to do with with this recumbent option is to provide me with options when the velomobile is not suitable, e.g., having to take a bus to a tour start point, driving to a Audax start point etc. I am not sure the length of the Tour Easy/GRR is going to allow that.

I would like to try a SWB and I believe you have a Giro. :)

I am glad I saw it and will give it some more thought for sure.

Thanks for teeing it up.

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Andrew,
Have you looked at the recycledrecumbents site?
ADC has plans there for a Mk1 and Mk2. The mark1 is basically a Toureasy.
I also have some original TE plans from back in the days when they sold them.
I built a Mk2 for myself. All up I have built four recycledrecumbents. They all ride beautifully but the steering on the Mk2 is best as it has a lot less tiller.
This is my Mk2

This is one of the Mk1's made from a road bike .

John

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 am

Nice looking bikes there John! Makes me wonder if a variation using the idea of the Fold Rush where the rear wheel tucks under much like a brompton would be an option to get the length down a bit when needed.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 pm

John Lewis wrote:Hi Andrew,
Have you looked at the recycledrecumbents site?
ADC has plans there for a Mk1 and Mk2. The mark1 is basically a Toureasy.
I also have some original TE plans from back in the days when they sold them.
I built a Mk2 for myself. All up I have built four recycledrecumbents. They all ride beautifully but the steering on the Mk2 is best as it has a lot less tiller.
John
Nice looking bikes John but building a bike is really outside of my skill set. BTW will down in Albany on Saturday. Heading off on the Munda Biddi on Sunday AM.

Andrew

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Well made bikes John. I'm about to start making an atomic zombie wildcat. Very similar design but with underseat steering. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Roadie wrote:Well made bikes John. I'm about to start making an atomic zombie wildcat. Very similar design but with underseat steering. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Hi Roadie,

I have built a couple of AZ designs. A bit heavy but ride nicely enough.
I built a DeltaWolf trike and a Marauder Mk2 long wheelbase lowracer.
Unfortunately the build diary on AZ for the Wolf has disappeared along with all the other 2008 posts when they upgraded the site. A pity as I had done a lot of documentation.
I think I posted pictures of them on this site some long time back.
The Marauder is very fast until you come to a hill then the weight makes itself known but it is still pretty good.
The Wolf is a great trike and I enjoy riding it almost as much as the Recycled Mk2.

John

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I've got a fair bit to learn about building and am trying to get some chromoly pipe if I can to keep the weight down. I'm hoping it will make a good long distance bike.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:16 pm

All the round tube bikes I've done were fillet brazed.
I built one trike and my Bentech SWB from muffler tube. Can't recall the weight but it was acceptable.
Cro Mo is nice but you need to either TIG weld and stress relieve by heating with Oxy and allowing to cool slowly or fillet braze. I don't have TIG skills.
I once knew where to get the Cro Mo tubing but for the life of me I can't recall where it was.

John

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:24 am

Don't get cro moly "PIPE"!

Cro mo tubing and other materials available from Perfomance Metals http://www.performancemetalsaustralia.com.au/

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I ended up buying some 32mm o/d, 1.6mm wall exhaust pipe today and fillet brazing was my intension for putting it together. I guess I just have to suck it and see how heavy it turns out.
Poiter- why do you say don't use chromoly? Thanks for the link.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 pm

I think Poiter is saying you want Cro Mo tubing. If recall he has built some bikes in Cro Mo.
Pipe is thick walled and heavy.
Cro Mo tubing can be used in a thinner wall than mild steel because it is much stronger. As I recall some of the tubing in my aeroplane was only about .035" The 1.6mm muffler tube is in the vicinity of .062" and probably of somewhat similar strength but heaps heavier.
I'm no expert though. I do know that muffler tube worked for me. Remember to get rid of the outer coating where you want to braze. A flap wheel did it for me.

John

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 am

1.2mm wall mild steel works OK and can be got through "Hills" outlets pretty cheap.
I've used 50mm 1.2 straight mild steel on SWB builds.
Just fouund the MTBF was less with mild compared to Cr-mo which so far haven't "F'd".
The Amelicans used to just cut up old bike frames to make the early LWB clones. You could sleeve the long tubes and braze them up.

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks guys, i looked at that link and the choices of tube is huge. No doubt I'll find plenty of things to do different next time so I'll look at cromo TUBE then. I was thinking the chain is probably one of the other heaviest components. Ever heard of a lightweight chain?

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Not really. In 10 speed SRAM 1031 chain = 277 gms / 114 links. 1091 = 265gms/114 links 1091R = 255 gms / 114 links.

In other words, you can get lighter chains, but there isn't much in it. Certainly not enough to notice.

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:53 pm

jaffaman wrote:Not really. In 10 speed SRAM 1031 chain = 277 gms / 114 links. 1091 = 265gms/114 links 1091R = 255 gms / 114 links.

In other words, you can get lighter chains, but there isn't much in it. Certainly not enough to notice.
Especially if you are using 1.6 mm mild steel muffler pipe.