Directions - Pemuluwy to M7

jcon

Directions - Pemuluwy to M7

Postby jcon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:47 am

Hi All,

I am new to the area, just trying to work out how to get from Pemulwuy Shops to the M7 cycle way avoiding the Great Western and Horsley Drive.

I have heard there is a canal or some bike track which takes you there. Is that correct?

Cheers

g-boaf

Re: Directions - Pemuluwy to M7

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 pm

I went this way yesterday for the first time at night:

http://app.strava.com/activities/66065243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You go left at the end of the Canal, go to Davis Street and then up along the T-way. Then you can go down Victoria Street and follow the T-way to Hoxton Park Road, then do a left there and take the next right. That will take you to the M7. Or you can also go down the T-way and right at Elizabeth Drive which will take you along to the M7.

It's very stop-start along the T-way though, unless you can pace the buses and get every pedestrian/bike light green. ;)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

If you are just trying to get to the M7, I would have thought that joining the canal path at going through the prospect reservoir & along Chandos Rd would be the quickest way, ie
http://goo.gl/maps/dqfsX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have only ridden Chandos Road until Ferrers Rd, but I believe it is ok
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jcon

Postby jcon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Perfect that is what i am after thank you.

Is the reservoir always open? or does it lock up at night?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm

jcon wrote:it lock up at night?
It is locked up at 4:30pm in the afternoon at this time of the year and remains locked through the night. Hence the way I went to avoid roads.
find_bruce wrote:If you are just trying to get to the M7, I would have thought that joining the canal path at going through the prospect reservoir & along Chandos Rd would be the quickest way, ie
http://goo.gl/maps/dqfsX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not after 4:30pm in the afternoon. It is locked. :(

Chandos is a bit of a crappy road at the best of times though. Close shaving cars, no shoulder to use and pot-holes everywhere. The cars can put up with me parking myself in the most visible and least dangerous part of the lane. The T-way might be slower but it is well lit and there are some nice Strava segments along it.

TTar

Postby TTar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 pm

g-boaf wrote: The T-way might be slower but it is well lit and there are some nice Strava segments along it.

I thought bikes and peds were forbidden on the T-way. Certainly looked that way when I've been near; back of Merrylands where it starts and crossing it past Prospect on the way to M7

Am I wrong about this or are sections open to bikes? And is there only one T-Way?

I might have been missing out on a fantastic bike path for years :?
Sent from my fortified compound

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 pm

TTar wrote:
g-boaf wrote: The T-way might be slower but it is well lit and there are some nice Strava segments along it.

I thought bikes and peds were forbidden on the T-way. Certainly looked that way when I've been near; back of Merrylands where it starts and crossing it past Prospect on the way to M7

Am I wrong about this or are sections open to bikes? And is there only one T-Way?

There are shared paths that go alongside much of the T-ways. Not always easy to find though. The ones I have been on were not that fantastic, losts of stop start & bumpy concrete, but we had just been spoiled by 40 km along the M7
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Nice route find_bruce!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 pm

TTar wrote:

Paths alongside the T-way from Prospect all the way through to Hoxton Park. Very stop start though with lots of traffic lights - but they can't all be like the M7.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks brucey and boafy, sounds like it replicates a section of the M7 path to a degree -- maybe it's the scenic route -- doesn't sound as though I missed much, but it's good to know it's there.

That part of town is surprisingly well serviced by bike paths, if only the whole city was similarly wired...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am

TTar wrote:Thanks brucey and boafy, sounds like it replicates a section of the M7 path to a degree -- maybe it's the scenic route -- doesn't sound as though I missed much, but it's good to know it's there.

That part of town is surprisingly well serviced by bike paths, if only the whole city was similarly wired...
It is very well done. The councils around that area of Sydney and Hoxton Park / Edensor Park / Cecil Hills / Merrylands / Greystanes have done a good job in creating a workable network of bike tracks/paths. :) It's great if you just want to go out and ride your bike to clear your head and not worry about the cars.

Watch out though for the shared path alongside Elizabeth Drive, there is quite a lot of glass on it on the climb up towards the M7. You can see the glass quite easy at night though.

Soon it seems they'll link things up to Blacktown as well, so it should be possible to easily get over to the other end of the M7 as well, mostly or all off-road.

I echo your comments in wishing they were extended in to the CBD so that they are seamless and don't just funnel people onto a busy road or a car parking lane (oops, bike lane). It can't be that hard for other councils to replicate it through the city and talk to each other so they link them up properly.

TTar

Postby TTar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:49 am

g-boaf wrote: It can't be that hard for other councils to replicate it through the city and talk to each other so they link them up properly.
I heard O'Farrel a little while ago say the completion of the Guildford to Chester Hill bike path was a top priority. :shock:

I never knew there was one, can't identify (apart from bicycle stencils in car parking paths) that such a thing even exists and can't understand why such a path should be a priority. The more paths, the merrier of course, but Guildford to Chester Hill!?

I've a secret path from Guildford to the western end of the Cook's River path that is more or less a straight line (it does involve going through Rookwood where through-traffic is frowned upon, but I've never heard the residents complain). With such a path you could ride from the M7/Prospect (Blacktown too when that's done) or Liverpool all the way to the airport and Botany Bay on separated paths.

And a path from the Strathfield Cooks river path to the CBD might be a more viable option than SOP to the CBD. Add a few "tributary" paths here and there and maybe an M5 bike path and a huge swathe of the most densely populated parts of Sydney would be serviced by a very handsome network of bike paths.

See? It's so easy! Aren't we clever 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 am

TTar wrote:I've a secret path from Guildford to the western end of the Cook's River path that is more or less a straight line (it does involve going through Rookwood where through-traffic is frowned upon, but I've never heard the residents complain). With such a path you could ride from the M7/Prospect (Blacktown too when that's done) or Liverpool all the way to the airport and Botany Bay on separated paths.

And a path from the Strathfield Cooks river path to the CBD might be a more viable option than SOP to the CBD. Add a few "tributary" paths here and there and maybe an M5 bike path and a huge swathe of the most densely populated parts of Sydney would be serviced by a very handsome network of bike paths.

See? It's so easy! Aren't we clever 8)
Private message is coming your way RE the first bit. :)

I agree with you on the rest, Cooks River path to the CBD would work. The SOP to CBD looks tricky. You and me should be in control of all this, we'd get Sydney moving. 8)

Someone needs to tell O'Farrell that he has the priorities wrong - they are building the paths that are of little use. Is that a way of making sure the car remains king?

ab012

Postby ab012 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
TTar wrote:Thanks brucey and boafy, sounds like it replicates a section of the M7 path to a degree -- maybe it's the scenic route -- doesn't sound as though I missed much, but it's good to know it's there.

It is very well done. The councils around that area of Sydney and Hoxton Park / Edensor Park / Cecil Hills / Merrylands / Greystanes have done a good job in creating a workable network of bike tracks/paths. :) It's great if you just want to go out and ride your bike to clear your head and not worry about the cars.
I also explored them the first time yesterday - amazed at how extensive it is ~ 8)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 am

I've been using them a few times at night, not bad at all. It cannot be too hard to replicate that across larger parts if Sydney - surely not.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 pm

i have not tried it myself (so maybe not sensible idea..) , but would M4 be an alternative? (drops into middle of M7 so perhaps not ideal in that sense, but just means there is extra time spent on the M7 8) going back and forth)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 am

The merging ramps on the M4, high speed traffic and sheer amount of tyre puncturing rubbish outs me off the M4.

I use it enough to see non attentive drivers drifting out of their lanes frequently.3 yesterday in the space of 10 minutes.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Guildford to Chester Hill might be referring to the next stage of the plan to connect the Canal Cycleway to Potts Hill and Rookwood mainly using pipeline easement. Its the easy bit. The rest is a pipe dream with difficult road and rail crossings.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am

That could be it - and it'd be good if it is. If that's what they are on about, then it'll take away the need to go around M4/SOP and the usual loop to get to the Cooks River track.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:33 am

Regarding Pemulwuy, i've just started riding again after a 4 week break due to an old injury and am taking it a bit easy. This morning i rode along the canal and went up through the quarry industrial estate, to the top roundabout and then right up the hill to the top of the Pemulwuy estate. I haven't been into Pemulwuy since i snuck in the top when the final blasting was going on to break through the new road and i have to say it's a great place if you want to do short but very sharp hill repeats. The roads at the northern end are wonderfully steep and with no houses built up that far, a quiet sunday morning and smooth road surface made for a wonderful time. Downhill you are at 60 in the blink of an eye, then hard on the brakes, turn around and puff and pant your way standing on the pedals in 1st gear to the top and then down again.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:11 pm

So - what will be the alternate cycle path diversion they talk about to link up with the Western Sydney Regional park tracks while the Prospect Dam is closed?

I'm going to miss my fairly quick and very easy route to the M7...

colhil

Postby colhil » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:36 pm

they say reservoir route will be closed till the end of 2014, but those of us who have experienced previous closures take that date with a grain of salt, will probaly be closed until the end of 2016(based on previous bad experience)

Shared path diversion will be via bus transitway path to Victoria St, thru the park to Horsley drive, along Horsley Drive (on southern side of Horsley) shared path to Western Sydney Regional Park, cross supply canal to cycleway, turn right and follow cycleway to top of the hill at Horsley Drive and Ferrers Rd, cross Horsley Dr and use cycleway on northern side of Horsley Dr to M7. you may encounter access issues crossing water supply canal in West Syd Reg Park after hours. you use a bridge to cross the canal and sometimes the gate is closed. Lots of road crossings and pedestrians to deal with.

the alternate route i use after hours is....west on canal path to Reconcilliation Drive(the new road that's not open yet prior to the reservoir entry), turn left onto Reconcilliation Drive, right onto Davis Rd, left onto Elizabeth St, right onto Victoria St, right onto Cowpasture Rd at the roundabout just past Potter Cl, left onto Trivet St/Chandos Rd. Nice run with breakdown lane or bus lane most of the way, except on Chandos Rd. about 10 mins longer. a couple of short punchy climbs too. You can use the bus transitway path between Davis Rd and Victoria St if you want to.