Exercise inhibits prostate cancer cell growth

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
bigfriendlyvegan

Exercise inhibits prostate cancer cell growth

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Abstract here.

So between this and regular *ahem* driving a ute, we should all be fine for many years to come (pun intended).

find_bruce

Re: Exercise inhibits prostate cancer cell growth

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:47 pm

& yet for some reason all I can think of is bananas :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:49 pm

I call BS on this! I have a mate tha was 45yrs and got one of the most aggressive forms of Prostate cancer and is lucky to be alive. There was no history of it in his family and he was riding up to 500klm a week and racing. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Sorry to hear that Foo
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks Mike, that was 5yrs ago and he is clear of it still. The lucky bugger is over watching the TDF and riding some of the course. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I call BS on this! I have a mate tha was 45yrs and got one of the most aggressive forms of Prostate cancer and is lucky to be alive. There was no history of it in his family and he was riding up to 500klm a week and racing. :wink:
Damn. But just as smoking doesn't guarantee you will get lung cancer, healthy lifestyle choices don't guarantee a long healthy life either. It just affects your odds, based on your genes.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm

My Dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer last month also.
That is three brothers now.
So at the request of my Dad, I went and had myself checked out.
All good luckily.
I have been told saddles with the centre cut out of them are better for you, as they allow better blood flow around that area.
Has anybody heard different?
I have a Selle Italia Gel Flow saddle in the shed, I was going to use, as the Fizik Airone can be uncomfortable after a few hours.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Sorry to hear about your dad

Ive just got back on the bike 6 weeks after having a prosectomy using a rido slt saddle works a treat!

I'm 41 had zero symptoms was very lucky all going well have made a good recovery

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:03 am

Pedaling wrote:My Dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer last month also.
That is three brothers now.
So at the request of my Dad, I went and had myself checked out.
All good luckily.
I have been told saddles with the centre cut out of them are better for you, as they allow better blood flow around that area.
Has anybody heard different?
I have a Selle Italia Gel Flow saddle in the shed, I was going to use, as the Fizik Airone can be uncomfortable after a few hours.
I hope all will turn out well for your Dad Pedaling. :(

I know of 6 cyclists that have had Prostate Cancer and of these, 3 have lost the battle, one being one of my mates (57yrs old). I posted here sometime ago that the percentage of cyclists that get Prostate Cancer was higher than the normal rate. One of the old boys told me some time ago, that he and his mates refer to it as the Cyclists Disease but I was told otherwise as there is no study done on this. When you think of the saddles of yesteryear, there was no area that would reduce pressure on you when seated and things would go numb :shock: :lol: but with these new seats, that is very different. :D (sorry for the side track)

Foo
Goal 6000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:16 am

and whose GP or oncologist advised of the power of 'banana eating' (and stress mgt) to stall or drastically slow PSA levels?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 185618.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 am

Wags71 wrote:Sorry to hear about your dad

Ive just got back on the bike 6 weeks after having a prosectomy using a rido slt saddle works a treat!

I'm 41 had zero symptoms was very lucky all going well have made a good recovery
That is young. It's a good thing you were diagnosed.
What made them go looking? Was it just a routine psa check? Most people don't start them that young.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

matagi

Postby matagi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 pm

winstonw wrote:and whose GP or oncologist advised of the power of 'banana eating' (and stress mgt) to stall or drastically slow PSA levels?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 185618.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Small sample size and published in 2006 - so I suspect the original article didn't stand up to rigorous scrutiny given stress management and plant based diets have not been adopted as part of the standard treatment of prostate cancer.

Which is not to say that managing stress and adopting a better diet won't help in general terms because the healthier you are, the better able your body is at mounting a defence.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:54 pm

A link has been found between high blood concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish species and fish oil supplements and aggressive forms of prostate cancer.
I can't win. My father died from secondary cancers arising from prostate cancer.
I might have to rethink my cholesterol-control-diet ie. lots of fish and occasional fish oil supplementation, combined with a fruit and vegetable base,oats and oat bran.

http://www.google.com.au/#gs_rn=19&gs_r ... 66&bih=635

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for your kind words guys, I really appreciate it.
Dad is a typical bloke, wants to fight the cancer with more exercise and has a very positive outlook.
We will get him back on a bike in a few months I am sure.
It is Great to hear you are back on the bike Wags, and you are feeling good.
Foo, sorry to hear about your mates. Some times life just is not bloody fair!
And I know what you mean about the old saddles and the advances that have been made.
I am going to fit my new gel flow saddle tomorrow, after my morning training ride.

Cheers,

Darrin.
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Darrin,

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in Aug 2011 at 78 and had radiotherapy at the beginning of 2012. So far so good in terms of no further need for treatment and he's recovering well.

Hope your Dad has the same outcome :-)

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wags71 wrote:Sorry to hear about your dad

That is young. It's a good thing you were diagnosed.
What made them go looking? Was it just a routine psa check? Most people don't start them that young.

Routine psa was a little high for my age not huge though had a grandfather who had it GP thought it was worth checking so off to the oncologist - biopsy - cancer! could have watched and waited as usually slow growing cancer but elected to have it out was lucky all enclosed in the prostate good margins have a psa of zero had a good recovery - if you haven't been checked get checked pretty simple.. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm

I started monitoring mine from the age of 40 but the mate that is still surviving was asking for the same thing but his Dr said.........you're to young to be tested! :evil:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I started monitoring mine from the age of 40 but the mate that is still surviving was asking for the same thing but his Dr said.........you're to young to be tested! :evil:

Foo
The GP community is pretty divided on testing - glad I did and recall my GP having a good think before sending me for further tests my psa was only 3 so not as high as some I've read about 1.5-2.5 is about right for a 40 year old. my surgeon just did a 36 year old guy very young indeed!

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:19 pm

matagi wrote:
winstonw wrote:and whose GP or oncologist advised of the power of 'banana eating' (and stress mgt) to stall or drastically slow PSA levels?
Small sample size and published in 2006 - so I suspect the original article didn't stand up to rigorous scrutiny given stress management and plant based diets have not been adopted as part of the standard treatment of prostate cancer.

Which is not to say that managing stress and adopting a better diet won't help in general terms because the healthier you are, the better able your body is at mounting a defence.
On the contrary, follow up studies confirm strongly the benefits of those two interventions...
For whatever reason, (professional culture/conformity) the majority of doctors seem unaware of the very strong scientific evidence for benefits of dietary and lifestyle interventions for most of Western culture's maladies, specifically cardiovascular, cancer, digestive tract, diabetes, and obesity.
Nevertheless, at least three GPs in my circle work hard to educate and persuade patients to adopt these interventions.
I suppose most of them perceive the effort required to persuade someone to eat healthier is beyond a standard Medicare rebated consult.

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for that Simon, and I am glad to hear your Dad is doing well too mate.

Cheers,

Darrin.
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Lesson #1 in health therapy. Never act on n=1.

This is why people need to consult good professionals, who typically have a far better overview of the matter in question and don't get over-excited by n=1. For lay people who needs to feel empowered, read at least 5-10 papers on a subject before consulting a professional to ensure there's objectivity.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

sogood wrote: For lay people who needs to feel empowered, read at least 5-10 papers on a subject before consulting a professional to ensure there's objectivity.
My wife and I do this all of the time and we often know more about the topic than the doctor does. My wife's coeliacs was diagnosed as a dozen different things by as many doctors in as many years before we (a) did some research of our own and (b) found a doctor who listened to us, did some research and was willing to follow through with it. It was the doctor's first coeliac diagnosis. Since then our doctor has always been keen to discuss research with us and has even asked me for vegan resources when her young son refused to eat meat.

I realise that doctors are probably fed up with internet experts darkening their doorway, but I do like the ones who appreciate informed patients, who admit their own gaps in knowledge, and who are willing to listen to research based information.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm

Wags71 wrote:

Routine psa was a little high for my age not huge though had a grandfather who had it GP thought it was worth checking so off to the oncologist - biopsy - cancer! could have watched and waited as usually slow growing cancer but elected to have it out was lucky all enclosed in the prostate good margins have a psa of zero had a good recovery - if you haven't been checked get checked pretty simple.. :)

I've been getting my psa checked since my late 30's. Dad had prostate cancer. There is breast cancer in both my mother and father's families so increased cancer risk.
Dogs are the best people :wink: