Another Bib Knicks Thread

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm

I was hoping to get some feedback on a pair of knicks. I've had the stitching on two seperate DHB Aeron's knicks come undone so I'm given up buying Wiggle's own brand (the DHB shorts I have are flawless).

From the research I've done, posters here love; ASOS, Rapha and to a certain extent, Castelli. So I've tried to narrow it done to three possible options (I've put them in my personal preference order)
1) Castelli Free Aero Race Bibshorts - $143 from Cell
2) Babici Metallo - $117 http://babici.cc/knicks/40-metallo-knic ... dzjKjfpxQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3) Assos T FI - $149 from Wiggle

I've heard amazing things about Assos, but I'm unsure if at the price point I'm after they're as good of quality. The Castelli's in particular the Free Aero's are meant to be a great fit, with nothing moving. I do have a pair of Babici Everyday knicks which quality wise I like and fit wise are great (plus the service I had was exemplary).

I would prefer to have a pair sooner rather than later as who knows how long the stitching on this pair of DHB knicks will last. I would send them back for a refund, but it was a giant hassle before and I just feel like moving on.

greatapoc

Re: Another Bib Knicks Thread

Postby greatapoc » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:07 pm

I have a pair of the Castelli's and they're amazing. Everything fits right, the legs are the right length, the straps don't cut and the grippers stay gripped without being uncomfortable. I haven't tried the others on the list but they fit my criteria of "feels like I'm wearing nothin' at all!".

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Having worn Assos you are paying more more the name than quality.

Give Santini and Craft a go.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

I have been using a pair of Santini knicks for the last 2 years and they have been good.

Assos would be good too, just a bit pricey, unless you can get them on special.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Assos are worth waiting to come on special / discount. Assos clothing is indeed very expensive comparitively, however, when it comes to knicks and tights I've found Assos best. Assos jereys, jackets, socks etc have less expensive/similar quality equivalents out there but my bum says their knicks are the best.........

I have found the Mille range of knicks and tights more comfortable than the F1 range.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Do Santini use a different Chamois than what they use in the Orica Greenedge knicks? I picked up a pair on sale and I don't find them comfortable on rides longer than 30km. The actual knicks feel good, just sitting down on them for 2-4 hours isn't ideal.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

I had a pair of the Castelli ones, they are great extremely comfortable, very good padding and the leg grippers don't cut in like some.

Nothing moves around in the Castelli ones - so they are really comfortable. I'm 174cm and ~61kg, size M fits me well in Castelli. You might find them cheaper on Wiggle than locally.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Have Pearl Izumi, Castelli and Santini , my personal favourites are the Castelli Free Race

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi bib longs yesterday. In the past I've just pulled thermals over my knicks but I found it a bit awkward recently when caught in the rain. They tended to slip a bit and pull a little at the knee. Wish I'd bought them sooner. So much more comfortable.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Ignoto wrote:Do Santini use a different Chamois than what they use in the Orica Greenedge knicks? I picked up a pair on sale and I don't find them comfortable on rides longer than 30km. The actual knicks feel good, just sitting down on them for 2-4 hours isn't ideal.
With all brands the type of chamois used will depend on wear in the range it suits.

Santini knicks tend to be on the thinner side but are really comfortable.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm

#1 for me is Assos.

#2 is Rapha.

Have tried, Pearl Izumi, Capo, Babici, Champ Systems and Triple Play.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:28 pm

I have the Assos FI T Mille S5 which is extremely comfortable on long rides (+150km) thanks to the long distance version of the chamois. If you're not going to do frequent long rides then the FI T Uno S5 should be fine. I managed to buy the Mille on special so the dent in the wallet wasn't so bad.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:19 pm

I haven't tried any of the more expensive brands. My favourite of the brand I do own would be the giordana silverline bibs. Ribble have them.
That said I did 225k recently in some cheap lusso bibs without issue, no chamois creme.

I have got my Cervelo well set for me though, that is more important than the chamois you use IMO.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

gururug

Postby gururug » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Skins are good too

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm

greatapoc wrote:I have a pair of the Castelli's and they're amazing. Everything fits right, the legs are the right length, the straps don't cut and the grippers stay gripped without being uncomfortable. I haven't tried the others on the list but they fit my criteria of "feels like I'm wearing nothin' at all!".
+1

Great chamois. Definitely has the euro sizing - go one size up. Great fit. Only criticism is that one the red castelli logos seem to peel back after a while - this petty and lame criticism should be read to indicate the overall high quality of the product.

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 pm

I've got got Castelli Aero Race.

I like the chamois.

They are fantastic quality, but the tiniest bit small for me.

Unfortunately, I don't think they do bigger than XXXL.

I'm 6'4", 100kg. Time to lose some kg I think. Another 5kg would make them perfect I reckon.

Wags71

Postby Wags71 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:27 pm

I too have 2 pairs of DHB Aeron stitching starting to come apart.....

Have a pair of assos Mille (couple of jerseys too) they all fit properly and are great but hell expensive hope they last

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:42 pm

I've had Assos and they didn't last as long as everyone indicated, but I am a heavy sweater, 85kg, and ride 10-12 hours a week.
What I'd suggest is buy one pair of Assos and wear them only on longer rides, as they are better tailored.

For rides up to 1.5-2 hours, buy cheaper kit. I've had most brands and any mroe than 1 season is a bonus....I bought team kits more recently from ebay and dhgate, and they are fine for shorter rides.

Also, the best way to get more comfortable in your kit and in the saddle, is to lose excess body fat, eat a healthy diet, and stay hydrated.

In my experience and that of mates, if you get dehydrated your skin moves around more and you are more prone to saddle sores.
I am also an advocate of using chamois cream (sorbolene or any moisturizer will do)

Last tip is not to buy kit too tight....means more friction esp around your gluts -> wears through quicker, and the leg grips stretch and fail earlier.
Wash, rinse, and dry in shade after most rides, more so if heavy sweater.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Ignoto wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback on a pair of knicks. I've had the stitching on two seperate DHB Aeron's knicks come undone so I'm given up buying Wiggle's own brand (the DHB shorts I have are flawless).

From the research I've done, posters here love; ASOS, Rapha and to a certain extent, Castelli. So I've tried to narrow it done to three possible options (I've put them in my personal preference order)
1) Castelli Free Aero Race Bibshorts - $143 from Cell
2) Babici Metallo - $117 http://babici.cc/knicks/40-metallo-knic ... dzjKjfpxQY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3) Assos T FI - $149 from Wiggle
Mmmm, the three alternatives you list are all twice or 3 times the price of DHB Aeron. The question is; would you prefer 2 pairs of DHB or 1 pair of one of these?
If you read the reviews on Wiggle, the Aeron are pretty thin and most say it is worth paying a little more to get the Aeron Pro's.
I've had really good experiences with DHB Aeron Pro's and Sportful but it all depends on your body shape. For example I know that even though Assos are good, they don't work with my body shape.
Also - the life of the Knicks is influenced by how you treat them.... Leaving your Knicks for 2 or 3 days in the washing basket before washing them will cause the stitching to perish more quickly than washing them immediately you take them off.
Andrew

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 pm

jcjordan wrote:Having worn Assos you are paying more more the name than quality.

absolutely refute that. Sadly, quality comes with price and better knicks are better and cost more. Assos should be high on the list, not least of which for their after sales service.

I had a pair of Assos bibknicks which were savaged from the clothesline by a blue heeler. He chewed a hole through the chamois and unbelieveably the fabric was untouched. For the sum total of 30 Euros I was able to post them to Switzerland, a new chamois was sewn in and they were posted back to me. Turnaround; 2 weeks. That's brilliant service.

Don't overlook 2XU either. Also steeply expensive but good.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 am

Hopefully from your clothesline... :o

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:23 am

Ignoto wrote:Do Santini use a different Chamois than what they use in the Orica Greenedge knicks?
That depends. Like the other big brands, Santini has a range of products so it depends whether you bought the (official) OGE replica product (multi-density sculpted chamois) or the (official) pro level gear (Nat Smart gel pad) or a copy (who knows). They use about four different pads in different ranges that I know of. Like a Toyota, it could be a Yaris or a Lexus or a people mover. I think you get what you pay for with knicks. Good luck with the decision. :)

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 pm

My favourites are. SUGIO RS and RSE

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Can't believe no-one has suggested Aldi knicks yet.... oh wait, I haven't seen bib knicks from them yet. :P

ProCelebrityGolf

Postby ProCelebrityGolf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

After trying a few different brands without success I recently ponied up and purchased some rapha pro team bibshorts. I'm 6' 1, 70kg and have long skinny legs. I'm fit but have very little quad muscle definition. I prefer a longer leg cut rather than the 'euro pro' shorts look. The pro team come in a 'extra leg length' option (3cm) which I find makes them just long enough for me. So far I'm very happy with the quality. Fabric feels robust, stitching is generous where it needs to be, padding feels great and leg grippers do exactly what I expect them to do. Were they expensive? Definitely. Can I afford to buy two pairs and alternate them - not really! Will I buy another pair when these ones wear out? From my experiences so far, definitely yes.

edit: It was interesting to read you had good experiences with Babici. The pair of knicks I purchased from them had possibly the worst design padding I have ever seen - specifically around the crotch which was both tight but yet caused me to need to 'readjust' constantly throughout the ride. I put up with them for a month, emailed the company then binned them after I didn't receive a response.