LWB Recumbent - Touring and Audax

Roadie

Re: LWB Recumbent - Touring and Audax

Postby Roadie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Maybe I should pepper it with holes!!!!!! Maybe it would whistle as I rode along, an oversize flute.
With the chain I was just thinking about how long it is compaired with a conventional bike.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 am

Aushiker wrote:I would like to try a SWB and I believe you have a Giro.
There's a Giro20 for sale in Capel (on WAHPV.org) and for only $1200. Not sure if the frame is medium or large but you'd fit either, also not sure about it being a 7-speed cluster since the Giro stock is 9-speed. The seatbag, frame colour and rear rack put the bike as at maybe 3-4 years old. A very good price considering what mine cost and the upgrades including disc brakes, rack and bag.

Pity that you're stuck out on a very wet Munda Biddi trail somewhere right now.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I would like to try a SWB and I believe you have a Giro.
There's a Giro20 for sale in Capel (on WAHPV.org) and for only $1200. Not sure if the frame is medium or large but you'd fit either, also not sure about it being a 7-speed cluster since the Giro stock is 9-speed. The seatbag, frame colour and rear rack put the bike as at maybe 3-4 years old. A very good price considering what mine cost and the upgrades including disc brakes, rack and bag.

Pity that you're stuck out on a very wet Munda Biddi trail somewhere right now.
And I count more than 7 sprockets on the rear as well. Doesn't sound like they know what they be selling
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Currently in Nannup :) Have been in email contact with the owner. It is a 2007 or 2008 model he thinks and is pretty much the current ATT specification. Had hoped to maybe view it on Sunday since I am down this way. Thoughts on the price?

Andrew
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 am

Aushiker wrote: It is a 2007 or 2008 model he thinks and is pretty much the current ATT specification .... Thoughts on the price?
My Giro20 is the same model (bought Feb09) but doesn't have the external bearing crankset or updated frame clamp for the seat which Bacchetta changed specs to a couple of years ago. Then again he could have upgraded since purchase. The seat bag was also the older style and the rack stopped being sold in 2010 but Ian at FF might have had old stock available. So I'm still guessing that the bike has only been owned for 3-4 years. This would mean not too much wear and tear on the parts perhaps. It isn't a Giro ATT, it'd be aluminium instead of steel if so. Pity some of the bike bits clearly aren't ali, you can see rust along the chain, on the chainring bolts, grenade pins, bidon bolts, brake levers, pedals. Most of that can be scrubbed out or simply you replace with stainless steel bolts, this might be part of why the price is quite low.

If you look at the grips at the end of the handlebars you'll notice that both have been nearly pulled off the ends of the handlebar. This is a sign of either bad bike set up or a rider inexperienced with a recumbent. You tend not to pull hard on the handlebar grips once you learn to relax on the SWB and don't try to handle it like a DF. Note also that the seat is very upright, as like a beginner would have it. The Bacchetta website has a good page about setting up your bike for seat and bars, Hope Grip Doctor bar end plugs will help in the meantime with the grips. So the other reason for the bike's price might be that it just didn't work with this rider.

But then you'll need to look for faults in person, don't take my word. I've taken my Giro touring around Capel and nearby and suffered rust problems inside a week, replaced most bolts with stainless first chance I got. So that amount of rust is not unexpected and it doesn't look very deep. Stock Alex wheels and Kenda tyres, you can improve performance quite easily here. Looks to be Avid BB7 brakes. Don't like the GripShift but easily changed. If I was making changes I'll get the grenade pins on the seat stays changed to Velogenesis clamps, change to a Ventisit seat pad and add an underseat rack, not too many chnages and besides a bit of a cleanup this bike looks to be a good price at $1200.

And if you don't like that rear rack I'll take it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:The seat bag was also the older style and the rack stopped being sold in 2010 but Ian at FF might have had old stock available.
Are you referring to the bag and rack on this bike? I assume the bag can be easily replaced. Will something like a Tubus rack fit? I am aware of the Terracycle under seat racks and would consider one of them for sure.
... this might be part of why the price is quite low.
So you think the price is low? That is nice to know :)
If you look at the grips at the end of the handlebars you'll notice that both have been nearly pulled off the ends of the handlebar. This is a sign of either bad bike set up or a rider inexperienced with a recumbent. You tend not to pull hard on the handlebar grips once you learn to relax on the SWB and don't try to handle it like a DF. Note also that the seat is very upright, as like a beginner would have it. The Bacchetta website has a good page about setting up your bike for seat and bars, Hope Grip Doctor bar end plugs will help in the meantime with the grips. So the other reason for the bike's price might be that it just didn't work with this rider.
Thanks for the information. I would be seriously looking at changing to trigger shifters anyway so that will not be a big issue
But then you'll need to look for faults in person, don't take my word. I've taken my Giro touring around Capel and nearby and suffered rust problems inside a week, replaced most bolts with stainless first chance I got. So that amount of rust is not unexpected and it doesn't look very deep. Stock Alex wheels and Kenda tyres, you can improve performance quite easily here. Looks to be Avid BB7 brakes. Don't like the GripShift but easily changed. If I was making changes I'll get the grenade pins on the seat stays changed to Velogenesis clamps, change to a Ventisit seat pad and add an underseat rack, not too many chnages and besides a bit of a cleanup this bike looks to be a good price at $1200.
Yes Avid BB7 brakes. Thanks also for the suggested changes.
And if you don't like that rear rack I'll take it.
Will let you know :)

BTW is it worth considering a Terracycles idler?

Andrew
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:31 pm

The seatbag is okay but I prefer the Radical Solo Aero bag. And yes you can mount a Tubus rack but it'll require some Tubus seatstay clamps since you'll have no upper mount points otherwise. The brakes might actually be Avid BB5 but still good. And I think the owner meant to say "X7 9-speed" not "X9 7-speed" especially as X7 is the current specced shifters.

If you bought a new Giro20 from FF plus the extras and shipping you'd pay maybe $1100 more, hence I call this a good price. When I bought mine 4 years ago with the exchange rates then it was $2400 without upgrades. As to Terracycle idler they're worth considering and after 4 years I'm still considering them, the stock idlers are durable and although the T-cycles roll better I've heard issues of noise. However prompted by all this I've contacted Ian at FF to see what he has in stock for my Giro, maybe I can give you a better idea soon.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:And I think the owner meant to say "X7 9-speed" not "X9 7-speed" especially as X7 is the current specced shifters.
It should have read X 9 27 speed. The same language he uses in the Gumtree advert.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm

A little update ... definitely X9 and BB7, Alex DA16 wheels and Kenda KWest tyres which still have mold points on them. External BB, FSA triple. Looking at the rear cluster I doubt it has done 500 kilometres net alone 1,000 km. Surface rust for sure and needs a clean up.

Oh I now own it ... $1100 new toy and hopefully will get me well and truly into recumbents. Still to get the Sinner Mango but and maybe eventually will upgrade the Giro to a Metaphastic but this is a start :)
just4tehhalibut let me work through some rack ideas and if they work out you can have the rack in appreciation.

I wonder if Bacchetta can identify the age from the serial number?

Andrew
Andrew

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Andrew,

Congratulations for finally taking the plunge. It may take a couple of weeks to get your bent legs up to strength due to the different muscle groups and being winter an all.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Nice buy. Should be lots of fun!