Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
kb

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby kb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am

feral grasshopper wrote: +1. Spot on, energy in, energy out. The further I ride, the harder to control weight, let alone lose it. Pre-cycling I lost 1/3 of my body weight, post cycling, the longer rides I do, the harder it becomes :roll:
I think I only partially agree here. The more weight you lose, the harder it is to lose weight full stop. Energy in vs energy out is true by definition but "in" is not necessarily equal to what is consumed (for instance, those fancy diet pills that interfere with fat absorption) and out can vary a little too. If you don't mix up your activities, you become a bit more efficient with energy used. Good and bad I guess.. From vague Health Report (ABC rn) memories, not sitting for more than 30min at a time (say, regular trips for water) your metabolism runs at a higher rate but it's hardly much exercise.

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 am

kb wrote:
feral grasshopper wrote: +1. Spot on, energy in, energy out. The further I ride, the harder to control weight, let alone lose it. Pre-cycling I lost 1/3 of my body weight, post cycling, the longer rides I do, the harder it becomes :roll:
I think I only partially agree here. The more weight you lose, the harder it is to lose weight full stop. Energy in vs energy out is true by definition but "in" is not necessarily equal to what is consumed (for instance, those fancy diet pills that interfere with fat absorption) and out can vary a little too. If you don't mix up your activities, you become a bit more efficient with energy used. Good and bad I guess.. From vague Health Report (ABC rn) memories, not sitting for more than 30min at a time (say, regular trips for water) your metabolism runs at a higher rate but it's hardly much exercise.
can't argue with any of that, and additionally, metabolism slows down with age anyway, thryoid becomes less efficient and it all gets harder, 'you know it ain't easy, you know how hard it can be, the way things are goin'....... John Lennon :shock: :mrgreen:

still great to be able to be on the bike, nothing better that turning the cranks #luckytobealive :D :lol:

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am

I have been trying to eat mostly fresh fruit and vegies of late, with no dairy and no meat (ok maybe fish) as a bit of an experiment.

Here is what i have found: I cannot eat enough, i mean i feeling full without feeling like i have the energy (maybe im adjusting and withdrawing)
I feel thirsty more often, this is a good thing as i probably was under hydrated normally (this was unexpected)
Its winter and the fruit supply sucks and its expensive in Central Queensland (oh how i miss my cheap local tassie greengrocer)
I feel like im dropping weight but not sure if this is due to running and adding in pullups/pushups and alot of core work plus cycling.
I can only eat a certain amount of Dates and Bananas and apples before i feel a bit sick and i dont feel like i get my energy requirements from what i can physically eat.
muscle soreness hangs around for longer (is this due to lower calories in or decreased protein! im still not sure).
I feel no different, dont feel any more energized than i did before nor do i feel my asthma improved with a reduction in protiens and dairy.

Time will tell, anyway their isnt any point knocking things until you try. Although durianrider is still nuts and i disagree with his approach, his video about woolworths for once is very funny.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm

iaintas wrote:Time will tell, anyway their isnt any point knocking things until you try.
Anorexia; self-harm; smoking; arson; a high-protein/low carb diet; ice; ignoring a mole that is getting bigger... there are lots of things I will knock and will not try... :wink:

In response to your actual post... I don't see any harm in giving it a go but if it's not working for you, please don't stick with it despite unsupported claims made by other posters.
<removed by request>

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
iaintas wrote:Time will tell, anyway their isnt any point knocking things until you try.
Anorexia; self-harm; smoking; arson; a high-protein/low carb diet; ice; ignoring a mole that is getting bigger... there are lots of things I will knock and will not try... :wink:

In response to your actual post... I don't see any harm in giving it a go but if it's not working for you, please don't stick with it despite unsupported claims made by other posters.
Thats ok, im pretty good at not listening to advice :wink: And im pretty good at listening to my own body and knowing if my riding is dropping off. I am sure ill lose weight, but if i feel good or not is another question. Part of the problem is im living 7 days a week in a mining camp and the food is more like

90% Fat
90% Protien
10% Fresh fruit and vegies

Myself and One other Nurse onsite who is vego are the only ones that sit down and have salad, and fill our lunch containers up with salad and fruit, we do get some odd looks from the morbidly obese inactive majority population.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 pm

winstonw wrote:Despite what Durian says (that vegans are able to consume more energy than they expend, and not gain weight), the only thing that guarantees weight loss is the creation of an 'energy in vs out' deficit.

For the majority of overweight people (many of whom may be pre-diabetic with fasting blood glucose >5.5mmol/dl), additional exercise leads to additional eating...and if you don't understand the energy content of various foods, you are likely to increase your intake of food types that at least match your additional energy expenditure.
Nothing to disagree with here.

A bit of IMHO type expansion though:

On the energy in energy out equation, there is some ability to get rid of energy stores that are greater than the energy deliberately expended by exercise. A range of ways to do that. So people can benefit by exploring those avenues as well. Off the top of my head increased methods to increase the metabolic rate, certain drugs, getting into ketosis, short term fasting, carrying extra muscle, etc. are all touted in various places as doing this. I take advantage of a couple of these myself.

So the equation at balance is expanded to:
Energy ingested = energy expended in useful work + energy stores lost in other ways

"Additional exercise leads to additional eating" Again, spot on. What people need to realise is that when you add exercise there is a short interval in which yuo must deliberately avoid eating in response to hunger untilthe body adjusts its various stats.

Something similar goes for cutting back on eating too - If you reduce your food intake, try and do the same sor tof work that you did before rather than slwo down due to theinevitable short term lethargy. I like short term fsting but I have to make sure that I do not compensate by reducing my work. After awhiel the body will become better at finding those hidden stores of energy (fat) and use them, to top up your other energy sources such as ATP in muscles, sugar in blood, etc.

I think a lot of people add exercise or reduce intake and then let the body tell them what to do - eat more or exercise less. Resist t hose for a short while and let the body work it out and reset itself.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
winstonw wrote:Despite what Durian says (that vegans are able to consume more energy than they expend, and not gain weight), the only thing that guarantees weight loss is the creation of an 'energy in vs out' deficit.

For the majority of overweight people (many of whom may be pre-diabetic with fasting blood glucose >5.5mmol/dl), additional exercise leads to additional eating...and if you don't understand the energy content of various foods, you are likely to increase your intake of food types that at least match your additional energy expenditure.
Nothing to disagree with here.

A bit of IMHO type expansion though:

On the energy in energy out equation, there is some ability to get rid of energy stores that are greater than the energy deliberately expended by exercise. A range of ways to do that. So people can benefit by exploring those avenues as well. Off the top of my head increased methods to increase the metabolic rate, certain drugs, getting into ketosis, short term fasting, carrying extra muscle, etc. are all touted in various places as doing this. I take advantage of a couple of these myself.

So the equation at balance is expanded to:
Energy ingested = energy expended in useful work + energy stores lost in other ways

"Additional exercise leads to additional eating" Again, spot on. What people need to realise is that when you add exercise there is a short interval in which yuo must deliberately avoid eating in response to hunger untilthe body adjusts its various stats.

Something similar goes for cutting back on eating too - If you reduce your food intake, try and do the same sor tof work that you did before rather than slwo down due to theinevitable short term lethargy. I like short term fsting but I have to make sure that I do not compensate by reducing my work. After awhiel the body will become better at finding those hidden stores of energy (fat) and use them, to top up your other energy sources such as ATP in muscles, sugar in blood, etc.

I think a lot of people add exercise or reduce intake and then let the body tell them what to do - eat more or exercise less. Resist t hose for a short while and let the body work it out and reset itself.

this is solid good advice IMHO :D

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 pm

iaintas wrote:I have been trying to eat mostly fresh fruit and vegies of late, with no dairy and no meat (ok maybe fish) as a bit of an experiment.

Here is what i have found: I cannot eat enough, i mean i feeling full without feeling like i have the energy (maybe im adjusting and withdrawing)
I feel thirsty more often, this is a good thing as i probably was under hydrated normally (this was unexpected)
Its winter and the fruit supply sucks and its expensive in Central Queensland (oh how i miss my cheap local tassie greengrocer)
I feel like im dropping weight but not sure if this is due to running and adding in pullups/pushups and alot of core work plus cycling.
I can only eat a certain amount of Dates and Bananas and apples before i feel a bit sick and i dont feel like i get my energy requirements from what i can physically eat.
Don't mean to patronize, but do you know if you are eating a balanced vego diet? i.e. how many g/kg bwt of protein are you taking per day.

If not, I suggest you see a dietitian who specializes in vego eating before experimenting again.
In my experience, the reason so many bag vego diets is because they know of people who decide to give vego a go, and don't get the balance right....then say things like I feel weak, get pale and gaunt.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 pm

I just like meat too much to give it up.

I like reading Durian's posts and the vids on his website, he is proof of what he preaches (even tho he is fanatical about it). Might consider vegan, at the moment I have cut grain and pasta and the majority or processed food. Meals now consist of meat and plenty of veg. Snacks are mainly nuts and fruit.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

AKO wrote: Once I increased my food intake my energy levels returned but weight loss never came. I started to get serious (kind of) about diet a few months back and have dropped from 105kg to about 96kg since.
Yep, the time on the bike is losing you weight (this can be calculated) but what goes on the plate afterwards puts it back on.

Everyone has to find 'their' way of dealing with hunger.

(From a borderline Clydesdale! ) :smile:

Crunchy_NuT

Postby Crunchy_NuT » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:18 pm

i'm in the same boat....can ride, carrying too much, it will come, need to train the stomach to shut up and let me punish it for a bit

we all have our bad days -- weeks .................................................. months? haha

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:

i.e.

- in May I cycled almost 1700km when I normally cycle 700-800, but I lost absolutely nothing.

- I often see groups of retired Brisbane cyclists ride 20-30k, hoe into a plate of bacon, eggs, toast with butter, fried toms and mushies, and a large flat white or two; then ride back. the math - additional energy expended by riding 60k*15to20Cal/km depending on speed, hills, and bwt = 900-1200Cals, energy in 2coffee*150Cals+2eggs*90Cal+1*80gbacon*112+1tomato*25Cal+mushies*25Cal+oil*30Cal+2toast&butter*130 = 932 Calories
+1. Spot on, energy in, energy out. The further I ride, the harder to control weight, let alone lose it. Pre-cycling I lost 1/3 of my body weight, post cycling, the longer rides I do, the harder it becomes :roll:
There is, usually, of course, an increase in muscle mass with the extra work but I am assuming from the context that the weight you guys are speaking of is in excess of that.

An increase in weight (of the fat sort) from an increased exercise program leads me to guess that the subject increased eating as they raised their work to a higher level. Probably letting hunger determine how much to eat. Understandable but not a way to decrease weight. (See my earlier post this thread.)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 am

Looking forward to standing on the scales... Lots of riding, lots of eating... But need a belt to hold up the shorts that were fine a month ago :-)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Hmmmm.... in the end didn't really lose anything from my mid tour weigh in to the end of tour weigh in :oops: . But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I had to eat so much pasta while I was away ... being a vegan and having to eat in restaurants every night in France doesn't give you much options!.
But I have lost 3cm on the chest, 5 on the waist and 1 on the hip.
Back home now... Tuesday morning is market day outside my door so 80 € of fruit and veg I am back into action :mrgreen: .

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Hmmmm.... in the end didn't really lose anything from my mid tour weigh in to the end of tour weigh in :oops: . But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I had to eat so much pasta while I was away ... being a vegan and having to eat in restaurants every night in France doesn't give you much options!.
But I have lost 3cm on the chest, 5 on the waist and 1 on the hip.
Back home now... Tuesday morning is market day outside my door so 80 € of fruit and veg I am back into action :mrgreen: .
It's those well toned riders thighs that did it!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:38 am

The old thighs don't change much in size at all... fat or thin, unlike everywhere else!.
One thing that has changed is the mountain of food I get through, especially days when I don't have any rice, just raw... the guy in the market already thinks I am a bit nuts with the amount I buy on Tuesday mornings, today included 10kgs of bananas, they thought it was a joke when I asked for that... didn't think I could tell him that would only last me 3 days.
The only down side of it all is the huge amount of fiber means a huge amount of crap :lol: .

PS ... I must be serious as I gave away the 3 kgs of protein powder I had in the cupboard!.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 pm

It's been good for me. I bought a bike over a year ago, but it's only been in the past 3-4 months that I've been riding regularly. I do 2-3 hours every Saturday, same again every 2nd Sunday, and 2-4 hours a week on the trainer. Diet unchanged. Weight has dropped from 125 to 118, with most of that in the past 5-6 weeks.

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:included 10kgs of bananas, they thought it was a joke when I asked for that... didn't think I could tell him that would only last me 3 days.
I had a mate who drank 1 liter of pure OJ a day. Took him about 6 months to get diabetes.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Are you trying to suggest that a simple 350 kcal drink per day with a whole 80 grams of sugar was the the sole cause of your friends diabetes?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:17 pm

moving on TLL, how much bread/pasta/rice/grains do you eat these days?

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Are you trying to suggest that a simple 350 kcal drink per day with a whole 80 grams of sugar was the the sole cause of your friends diabetes?
It was either that, or the double quarter pounders with extra cheese

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:54 pm

TLL. Very interested in your reporting of this. DR's preaching just puts me off, (sorry DR) But in all honesty I am willing to give this a go and see if it shifts my final 10kg. In the research stage at the moment as I can't exercise, see testis post! I for one would be interested in a mini journal. Great to see you're losing weight.
BTW I would go vegan diet but not follow the other principles, leather usage, clothing etc., are you the same? Not strictly a 'VEGAN'.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm

winstonw wrote:moving on TLL, how much bread/pasta/rice/grains do you eat these days?
When at home... just rice maybe once every two days. No bread usually ( all though I did crack yesterday and have two slices ... first time in two weeks ). My homemade museli bars have oats in them.
I did have pasta a fair bit while I was away as I had to eat something at a restaurant... wholewheat pasta when possible with chopped up tomatoes, no oil.
But back home now ... 3 or 4 fruit smoothies a day. Plenty of salad, tomatoes, cucumber and sometimes beetroot. Usually one cooked meal a day, dahl is my fav, no oil and try not to add salt.
Very little to no alcohol ... but thats was pretty normal anyway.
Wakatuki, not overly fanatic with vegan lifestyle... living in France is complicated enough :lol: . Do the best I can though.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:12 pm

ausmomo wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:included 10kgs of bananas, they thought it was a joke when I asked for that... didn't think I could tell him that would only last me 3 days.
I had a mate who drank 1 liter of pure OJ a day. Took him about 6 months to get diabetes.
I hope that your tongue is deep in your cheek and that we don't have another poster on the forums whose middle-name is Confirmation Bias. :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:41 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Wakatuki, not overly fanatic with vegan lifestyle... living in France is complicated enough :lol: . Do the best I can though.
You might find it interesting to get your blood work every 3-6 mths, in addition to your ftp...age adjusted of course :)
would be interesting to see the results of your fruitfest.