Pedesdrian hides in bush and jumps out when you pass

rolandp

Pedesdrian hides in bush and jumps out when you pass

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 am

Happened to me last night on the Mitchell Fway PSP, north of Reid Hway.

I laughed so much I wet my pants, or was that because he succeeded in scaring the crap out of me?

Reported to MainRoads, as there are no overhead lights in this section, and may have assisted in identifying a person moving into the bush. Lack of lights has been pointed out several times in the past to MainRoads.

Ozkaban

Re: Pedesdrian hides in bush and jumps out when you pass

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am

Get an airzound. Should be able to turn the tables of surprise fairly quickly... :-D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:45 pm

and this evening, same location, around the same time:

I'm now riding on extra-high-beam through this area.

Reported again to MainRoads.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:42 am

Sounds a bit sinister to me, I'd be telling the cops.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:53 am

Guy's likely to get himself hurt if/when he pulls that little trick on the wrong person... :|
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

MoabBoy

Postby MoabBoy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Yeah, there were a few branches laid across the path. I didn't see anyone jump out though.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:41 pm

m@ wrote:Guy's likely to get himself hurt if/when he pulls that little trick on the wrong person... :|
Had a Muppet do it to me once but unfortunately for him I decided not to slow down and the front wheel and bars took him in the groin and my helmet hit him in the head.

He came off allot worse than I did and had to put up with me giving him a 5 minute lecture on his stupidity before I road off.

Best bit was he was still on the ground moaning when I left. :-D
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm

thecaptn wrote:Sounds a bit sinister to me, I'd be telling the cops.
m@ wrote:Guy's likely to get himself hurt if/when he pulls that little trick on the wrong person... :|
Agree to both. With a bit of luck the wrong person for him will show up before the right person for whatever he has in mind.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Roland sounds like I found the same people last Thursday evening after dark, before 7:30pm. Near train station on late night shopping I expected teenage pranksters.
They had this branch that fully covered the whole path squarely placed across it at the bottom of the hill northbound. It was obviously intentional.
I rode across the bridge expecting them to be nearby as many escape points from there east/west over freeway to be safely watching the impending incident.

Bottom third of it

Middle third of it

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Lets get our frame pumps and give 'em a paddlin'

Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

I rode past an older guy after sunset yesterday that had no lights down this section. Warned him what happened same place last week and lit the way for him. One advantage against the jump surprise is he was riding as ninja dark as the PEDs so long as no obstacles it is fair match

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:55 pm

This morning, same location:
There was a council worker in the park, so cleaned up around 6:30am this morning. The photo doesn't show it, but there was also a section originally across the path, but an earlier cyclists must have ridden through it. I have forwarded this photo to MainRoads.

Earlier this week, Civic Place Stirling overpass bridge:
Reported to non-emergency police, and gone that day. It could be anything, and more likely to be some person's attempt at humour, but better safe.

Also, played Laser Tag on Monday night near Erindale Rd underpass. Someone in the bush area shining some form of laser light on to cyclists/peds. Stopped and shone my new extra bright 1400lmn light but didn't see anyone. Haven't seen it again, so hopefully once off.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

Thanks for the updates Roland.
More motivation to maintain pre-sunrise starts (with bright light) to ensure a daylight return home.

Beware of the lasers, there are a lot of blindingly powerful ones getting around for $100 online, inflated to $300 in the country on premise of it making it past customs.
The ones that first turned up to the masses 15 years ago ran on button cell watch/key fob batteries, typically 5 micro watt to legal limit now of 1 micro watt.
The current high power ones have torch sized cells and the power to match.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourn ... 1022532170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's a $20 version that won't light matches, but I would guess odds on for damaging your eyes:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manly/ot ... 1023053957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for you looking for them with 1400lumen light, they may have vaporised to star dust if you got a direct hit =P
For the remainder of the school holidays if travelling at night it may be worth detouring via the path along Carine Open Space and Reid Highway.