Cannes to Monaco -- any advice on best route

Scotness

Cannes to Monaco -- any advice on best route

Postby Scotness » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi I might be able to do this later in the year - has anyone ridden around here before -- is there any advice you could share - have a I picked the best route -- safety is an issue but I'd like some good sights too

Thanks
Scot
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!

cyclotaur

Re: Cannes to Monaco -- any advice on best route

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Turn left at Nice and ride up Col de la Madone ... return towards Nice, then ride on to Monaco. 8)
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Scotness

Postby Scotness » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for that - I'll check it out - any reason in particular for the reccomendation - is it safer or are the more sights to see?

Also for that matter too if I wanted to return by train would they allow the bike on the train?

Thanks,
Scot
My new novel Shows So Fair out now!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:13 pm

I know nothing about the route you specify apart from that it may be busy generally if it's still summer. But as for safety, going by our experiences with French drivers in Corsica you'll have very little to worry about. The drivers were always very courteous, waited behind us on winding roads, and always overtook in a very calm manner with plenty of room. Italian drivers were pretty much the same except they will often toot the horn (to say "I am about to overtake") whereas the French did not toot the horn as a rule.

On-road safety will be much better than anywhere in Australian cities. Cadel was right! We never had any driver aggression, never had the all too familiar high-revving frustrated overtaker.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:27 pm

I rode Nice to Monaco (all the way to Menton) after the TTT... Basically followed the main road around the coast, wasn't too busy... Well a lot less so than I thought it would be.
Route is on strava around start of July http://app.strava.com/athletes/159853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't done from Cannes though.