Newbie here

LM324

Re: Newbie here

Postby LM324 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:01 am

When you get a bit more confident with riding make sure you learn how to start and stop properly. While it is simple, you would be amazed at how many people do this wrongly, leading to wobling at the start (like described above) and difficulty starting uphill. Make sure you start with you bum off the saddle. Push on the pedal and rise your bum up and sit on the saddle in one motion.

Sheldon brown describes this well. http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another one to look at. http://bikenorth.org.au/cycling/skills/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you find it hard to visualise there are many videos on youtube.

Also try to turn by leaning the body more than by twisting the handlebars.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Richard, my little piece of advice is this: most of us learn to ride when we are kids and kids, as youo know, don't ever overthink things. So don't overthink it and most of it will come naturally.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

richardegg

Postby richardegg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the support so far, went for another session today. The recent rain had left a whole heap of puddles and muddy patches over my practice area....as such I practiced a lot of steering. Steering big improvement on last time. Also practised coasting in a low gear (it makes me uncomfortable). Also had a go at cycling along a stretch of bike path. Being a fine crushed gravel needed a lot more effort to pedal. In a few more 'lessons' should be ready to negotiate a continuous bike path!

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:14 pm

[quote="human909"

I don't see why gloves are necessary. The majority of cyclists don't use them, they are really only popular amongst the road bike scene or hardcore mountain biking. But really its up to you. As you might have guessed I don't use gloves. :wink:[/quote]

... and indeed there is nothing wrong with that of course. My only comment would be that even if you don't need gloves due to eg cold weather, they do provide protection to your hands in the unlikely event that you ride too close to a Bougainvillea or clipstack at the traffic lights. I would venture to suggest that even fingerless gloves will save your hands somewhat !! I will also not confess to doing either of the above, but curiously my gloves have a tear from a thorn and also some road rash... pure coincidence we know.... not a mark on my hands ( important to me as I rely on them for fine skilled work at my job- even a blister can suck ! ) :)

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:19 pm

richardegg wrote:Thanks for the support so far, went for another session today. The recent rain had left a whole heap of puddles and muddy patches over my practice area....as such I practiced a lot of steering. Steering big improvement on last time. Also practised coasting in a low gear (it makes me uncomfortable). Also had a go at cycling along a stretch of bike path. Being a fine crushed gravel needed a lot more effort to pedal. In a few more 'lessons' should be ready to negotiate a continuous bike path!
You sound like you are doing well , and are having fun as well . Like the rest of us, you will soon be too addicted to ever go back to not riding a bike ( not a bad thing !!) . Crushed gravel ? Well done that is really getting technical !

richardegg

Postby richardegg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 pm

another longer session this afternoon. Did some more turning. Highlights included cycling up shot moderate inclines (i.e. 10m), and cycling a full 100m along a bike path (that was fairly narrow) at a reasonable speed, staying on it. I start uni again this week so will have less time to practice cycling. Now my running injury is healing, have a 14km race in 4 weeks to train for as...I think its time for me to graduate exclusively to flatter bike paths and make the most of my cycling time.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

I'd like to know what hardcore mountain biking is? :?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Well done richard. Great to see you take a punt on learning a new skill. But be careful - it's addictive! 8)

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:47 pm

richardegg wrote:, have a 14km race in 4 weeks to train for as
City2surf?

richardegg

Postby richardegg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:18 pm

yep city to surf.....PB last year of 68:50; but this year only aiming for 75-80 min. Injuries have hampered preparation.