Fell in love with this. Papillionaire. Comments? Feedback?

TheWoodenTree

Fell in love with this. Papillionaire. Comments? Feedback?

Postby TheWoodenTree » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 pm

Anyone has experience with this bike? Or do you guys have other recommendations for a nice retro/vintage/dutch bike that's below $500?
Itching for a new ride to town!

:D

rkelsen

Re: Fell in love with this. Papillionaire. Comments? Feedbac

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 am

Seen a few in the flesh. Not a bad bike for the money. It approximately compares to Gazelles costing 3x as much.

But these are just words. You need to take one for a test ride to see if you really like it.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

Frame geometry looks more like a generic mens roadie from the last 30 years. I'd say a bit racey & twitchy personally to be in the vibe of a true Anglo or Continental mens roadster with flat bars - but that said, for less than $500 it would certainly be a lot better bargain than some of the established/exxy "Ye Olde Worlde" Bike marques like Pashley et cetera.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am

rkelsen wrote:Seen a few in the flesh. Not a bad bike for the money. It approximately compares to Gazelles costing 3x as much.

But these are just words. You need to take one for a test ride to see if you really like it.

Cool. At least that's some reassurance. I have yet to see one on the roads but I'm really loving the look! :wink:

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Having worked on a few of these I'll say save your money and buy something of better quality. They're also needlessly heavy, limited in gearing, ride crap and it just goes to show how much people drool and admire bikes that are totally not suited to our local riding conditions.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm

spirito wrote:Having worked on a few of these I'll say save your money and buy something of better quality. They're also needlessly heavy, limited in gearing, ride crap and it just goes to show how much people drool and admire bikes that are totally not suited to our local riding conditions.
Recommendations?

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 pm

TheWoodenTree wrote:
Recommendations?
Up your budget. If it's good, serviceable, rides well, and will last for years then it will cost a lot more than $500 if brand new.
Or arm yourself with knowledge (there's plenty of info on these forums already) and look for an original period bike.

I understand you'd like something classic looking and traditional but unless you live in an absolute flat world (like Amsterdam) and only do short rides you're in for a world of pain and whatever you spend will be way too much because our bike will sit in the garage and will rarely be used. Try to balance "looks cool" with a) can i lift this thing b) will it be fine to ride on all the roads you plan on riding and c) are all the parts on it things that most every bike shop normally stocks or can service easily. A dutch style bike might look cool but imo is next to useless in our real world conditions or hill terrain, heavy traffic and trickier riding conditions.

I don't have specific recommendations as I am not sure where you live and whats available to you. I would suggest caution about buying a bike from a web retailer as opposed to a local bike shop unless you're handy with tools and are looking to do repairs/maintenance by yourself. The only brand that I have seen that does Retro (and I hate that word) well is Electra, but only the Ticino model. Hammered alloy fenders, their own manufactured components inspired by classics (cranks, centrepull brakes), classic lugged fork crown, a good range of gears and not so heavy. Might have to do some hunting to see who stocks them locally to you.
http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/ticino ... kes-ladies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cycleandstyle.com/2010/09/septem ... as-ticino/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/finally- ... icino.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/li ... 621&search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[newOrUsed]=-1&search[taxon_ids]=1&search[pa_type_id]=&search[bikeMake]=29&search[gender_index]=&search[option_value_ids][]=&search[maxAmt]=0&search[minAmt]=0&search[state]=&search[pc_dist]=5&search[postcode]=&search[q]=ticino&search[orderBy]=-1&search[flag_not_womens]=1

Not as nice but still worthy are bikes by Linus ...
http://www.linusbike.com/models/roadster-8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I know you want something classic and traditional looking but I'd try and ride a current model flat bar road bike of similar value and compare that to the classic bikes you're looking at. Most people I know find the classic inspired bikes more to their aesthetic tastes but after one ride on a modern bike they'll be lying if they don't see how much simpler and easier to ride they are in comparison. I can't underestimate this, I've seen it too man times. It's not unreasonable to want something that looks good and rides well but for that you're going to spend a lot more money as the bike industry is about mass production and price points they can profit on. "Brand new" and "vintage, retro" usually equals crap, poorly made and rides like a truck. If you wanted a true classic bike members of this forum would be happy to help you find something to suit.

Take them all for a ride, buying or thinking about bikes just by their appearance on a computer screen is a great way to waste time and money.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:44 pm

On what Spirito said, I just sold my Gazelle Dutch bike. Going up hills wasn't a massive problem, but manoeuvrability in traffic was. Just too slow to accelerate and respond. However they are very very comfy to ride. My bike had a more upright position than this one though.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:37 pm

spirito wrote:
TheWoodenTree wrote:
Recommendations?
Up your budget. If it's good, serviceable, rides well, and will last for years then it will cost a lot more than $500 if brand new.
Or arm yourself with knowledge (there's plenty of info on these forums already) and look for an original period bike.

I understand you'd like something classic looking and traditional but unless you live in an absolute flat world (like Amsterdam) and only do short rides you're in for a world of pain and whatever you spend will be way too much because our bike will sit in the garage and will rarely be used. Try to balance "looks cool" with a) can i lift this thing b) will it be fine to ride on all the roads you plan on riding and c) are all the parts on it things that most every bike shop normally stocks or can service easily. A dutch style bike might look cool but imo is next to useless in our real world conditions or hill terrain, heavy traffic and trickier riding conditions.

I don't have specific recommendations as I am not sure where you live and whats available to you. I would suggest caution about buying a bike from a web retailer as opposed to a local bike shop unless you're handy with tools and are looking to do repairs/maintenance by yourself. The only brand that I have seen that does Retro (and I hate that word) well is Electra, but only the Ticino model. Hammered alloy fenders, their own manufactured components inspired by classics (cranks, centrepull brakes), classic lugged fork crown, a good range of gears and not so heavy. Might have to do some hunting to see who stocks them locally to you.
http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/ticino ... kes-ladies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cycleandstyle.com/2010/09/septem ... as-ticino/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.treehugger.com/cars/finally- ... icino.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/li ... 621&search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[newOrUsed]=-1&search[taxon_ids]=1&search[pa_type_id]=&search[bikeMake]=29&search[gender_index]=&search[option_value_ids][]=&search[maxAmt]=0&search[minAmt]=0&search[state]=&search[pc_dist]=5&search[postcode]=&search[q]=ticino&search[orderBy]=-1&search[flag_not_womens]=1

Not as nice but still worthy are bikes by Linus ...
http://www.linusbike.com/models/roadster-8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I know you want something classic and traditional looking but I'd try and ride a current model flat bar road bike of similar value and compare that to the classic bikes you're looking at. Most people I know find the classic inspired bikes more to their aesthetic tastes but after one ride on a modern bike they'll be lying if they don't see how much simpler and easier to ride they are in comparison. I can't underestimate this, I've seen it too man times. It's not unreasonable to want something that looks good and rides well but for that you're going to spend a lot more money as the bike industry is about mass production and price points they can profit on. "Brand new" and "vintage, retro" usually equals crap, poorly made and rides like a truck. If you wanted a true classic bike members of this forum would be happy to help you find something to suit.

Take them all for a ride, buying or thinking about bikes just by their appearance on a computer screen is a great way to waste time and money.
Awesome! I do own a MTB which I bought recently. More for fitness use. Was deciding on the Papillionaire bike just for commute. I live in Melbourne, close to town, about 20km round trip. Not much hilly terrain but coupled that with some rack and panniers, my laptop, clothes etc, I'll be lying if I tell you it's a breeze. Another option is to convert my MTB to a commuter, but of course, it's hard to make it look "retro".

Good points mate. Thanks for the heads up! :D