Being prepared

r2160

Being prepared

Postby r2160 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi all

Sorry for the newby question, but I just want to be prepared . . .

Do I assume that a basic puncture repair kit should consist of the following (bearing in mind I ride to work so a quick change, and a repair later that night at home) and the bike has quick release hubs.

two tyre levers
two tubes
Pump

Am I missing something here? I just want to be prepared just in case.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Those items are essential, but what we call a puncture rpeair kit has self-vulcanising patches usually in two sizes, sandpaper to key the surface of the tube around the puncture so the glue will grip, and a little tube of rubber adhesive. Normally they come in a little plastic box.

I'd only bother with two tubes on longer off-road rides. For my home-to-CBD-and-back commuting one, does me fine.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

It's not a repair kit, rather a replacement kit, but yes, that is pretty much all you need. Torpedo 7 has a cheap multi-tool this week which will top that off nicely. Stick it all in an underseat bag and you're on your way. And don't forget a mobile phone for when you get the third puncture!

Cheers,
David

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm

lol

thanks guys

I intend to repair the tubes, but riding to work, quick and simple sounds like the go.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm

r2160 wrote:lol

thanks guys

I intend to repair the tubes, but riding to work, quick and simple sounds like the go.

cheers
Glenn
Until you puncture all the tubes in one ride ! Get a little $2-3 repair kit as a backup backup :D

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:53 pm

I'd buy three tyre levers.

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:00 pm

I also have a pair of disposable gloves in my kit. My hands get really dirty changing a tyre - especially if it is the back one and I get grease from the chain on my hands - and the gloves deal with that problem. I have a rag for a similar reason.

In seatbag:
1 tube
1 patch kit
3 tyre levers
1 pair disposable gloves
1 rag
1 $10 note

On bike:
1 pump

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:28 pm

jasimon wrote:I also have a pair of disposable gloves in my kit. My hands get really dirty changing a tyre - especially if it is the back one and I get grease from the chain on my hands - and the gloves deal with that problem. I have a rag for a similar reason.

In seatbag:
1 tube
1 patch kit
3 tyre levers
1 pair disposable gloves
1 rag
1 $10 note

On bike:
1 pump
A mobile phone is also useful should you have a major problem.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 pm

gsxrboy wrote:Until you puncture all the tubes in one ride ! Get a little $2-3 repair kit as a backup backup :D
If you don't ride in the rain too often, the self adhesive patches might be a good option. Apparently they don't stick well on tubes which are still wet when you are trying to patch the tube. It would be a bugger to get a third flat on a rainy day. :cry:
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

zoom bean

Postby zoom bean » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 pm

cjrich wrote:
jasimon wrote:I also have a pair of disposable gloves in my kit. My hands get really dirty changing a tyre - especially if it is the back one and I get grease from the chain on my hands - and the gloves deal with that problem. I have a rag for a similar reason.

In seatbag:
1 tube
1 patch kit
3 tyre levers
1 pair disposable gloves
1 rag
1 $10 note

On bike:
1 pump
A mobile phone is also useful should you have a major problem.
I'd also add a little multi-tool kit to tighten anything that may come loose along the way. I can remember how much of a pain it was to try and ride home after my seat came loose once. The last 20kms riding out of the saddle took some effort.

I guess you learn as you go what is important to have on board with you to fix any little mishaps. But yeah usually the first thing to go wrong is the flat so it is good to have all the above as you will probably need that first.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:42 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:I'd only bother with two tubes on longer off-road rides. For my home-to-CBD-and-back commuting one, does me fine.
I wouldn't agree with that all. There is no reason why a puncture couldn't happen down the road. Last night ... three punctures on a 26 km ride and I walked.

I always carry two tubes unless my ride is within a reasonable walking distance of home/bike shop/work.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
gsxrboy wrote:Until you puncture all the tubes in one ride ! Get a little $2-3 repair kit as a backup backup :D
It would be a bugger to get a third flat on a rainy day. :cry:
Tell me about it ... last night, pissing down, three punctures => one walk.

Andrew

RainForeverRain

Postby RainForeverRain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 pm

I also carry a mini phillips screwdriver plus five allen keys that together cover everything that I have had to adjust on the bike so far (brakes, saddle, pedals, handlebars, etc.)
Last edited by RainForeverRain on Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cell Team 2008 mod to flat bar.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Sorry to hear that,

but !

my disaster theory is proven !

:D :D :D

MJF

Re: Being prepared

Postby MJF » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:40 pm

r2160 wrote: Am I missing something here? I just want to be prepared just in case.

cheers
Glenn
As other have said, a puncture repair kit as well (just in case), and I'd pack a few pairs of disposable gloves rather than just one.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Well I took everybodies advice :-)

I got three tyre levers, a puncture repair kit, organised a $10 note, always carry a phone and popped the two tubes into my little under-seat bag.

Hopefully I wont have to use them too soon!

All up $32 (+ the $10)

Already clocked up 100kms this week on the new bike and cut 5 mins from the trip time to work (and its still faster than driving the car). If only my legs would stop hurting lol.

cheers
Glenn
-----------

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:08 pm

It is also a good idea to keep a few spare tubes at home (and work if commuting) to replenish the on-bike spares without having to go to a bike shop (or to take advantage of online deals . :twisted:).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:46 am

r2160 wrote:...If only my legs would stop hurting lol.

cheers
Glenn
Don't worry mate, they will.
Then you'll wanna go faster and make 'em hurt again :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:57 am

r2160 wrote: Already clocked up 100kms this week on the new bike and cut 5 mins from the trip time to work (and its still faster than driving the car). If only my legs would stop hurting lol.
Well done Glenn. I suggest you keep an eye on Torpedo 7 for their tubes special. You can get a pack of 10 delivered for around $3.00 a tube.

Andrew

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 am

A chainbreaker as part of a compact tool can be very handy as well, my wife to be bought me a Ritchey compact rescue tool about 12 years ago and it is always in my kit road or mtb. I have used it a few times over the years but amazingly enough never on my own bike. It's always been to get a mates bike going whilst we are out on a ride. The last time I used it was after a mate had managed to shift his deraillueur into the wheel of his less than a week old Amiata roadie (TBE in Perth house brand) after he had dropped it and not realised his derailueur hanger was bent.

Just using that tool I removed his derailleuer so he could put it in his jersey, asked him what gear he like best and turned his racer into a temporary single speed which mean't he wasn't walking home.

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Aushiker wrote: Last night ... three punctures on a 26 km ride and I walked.
No patch kit? :shock:

I've had that happen too, but used the patch kit.

Toodling around with my son tonight on the dually I picked up a drawing pin in the front tyre. It was quicker to pull out a section and patch the tube than pull out the whole thing and replace.

I only use the spare tube if the original is trashed or I can't find the hole.

I don't have enough room for two tubes in the under saddle bag I use on the commuter in any case.

zozza

Postby zozza » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:56 pm

I got a pair of tweezers in my kit for removing fine bits of wire and glass from my tyres :idea:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:02 pm

j.r.hawkins wrote:
Aushiker wrote: Last night ... three punctures on a 26 km ride and I walked.
No patch kit? :shock:
I carry a patch kit, just didn't use it. Given I can walk 1 km in about 10 minutes it was hardly worth it, plus it was night (see your quote above) and pissing down with rain (see Black Cat thread) .... if you can patch a wet tube in the dark good on you ... I couldn't be bothered. That is also assuming I could have found the hole in the first place. I find this hard in good conditions, net alone in the dark, when cold and wet.

Regards
Andrew :

zozza

Postby zozza » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Hehe..same as my last puncture..a couple of K's from home and dark'n'wet..I couldn't be frigged fixin it and walked home :lol:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:46 pm

zozza wrote:I got a pair of tweezers in my kit for removing fine bits of wire and glass from my tyres :idea:
+1 for the tweezers. Fingers are pretty useless on fine wire.

Rain protection for your mobile is also essential - I use a zip-lock bag. Water is the foremost natural enemy of the mobile phone, and sweat is a close second.

-1 for self-adhesive pads. They just can't hold 100 psi pressure - might get you home, then you'll have to unpatch and repatch them (messy).

WombatK
====================
inch by inch, life's a cinch.
yard by yard it's very hard...
====================