Bike fit for long torso, short legs?

Astanal

Bike fit for long torso, short legs?

Postby Astanal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a long torso and short legs relative to the averages of my height which makes me feel very cramped on my bike.

Are there any adjustments (longer stem?) I can make to improve comfort (without sacrificing aerodynamics)?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Bike fit for long torso, short legs?

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

A longer stem is one way to do it, but bear in mind it will dull the steering responsiveness of the bike. You could look for a seatpost with greater head setback than you currently have, which will push you back a little bit.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Duck! wrote:A longer stem is one way to do it, but bear in mind it will dull the steering responsiveness of the bike. You could look for a seatpost with greater head setback than you currently have, which will push you back a little bit.
Unfortunately pushing the saddle back will impact the hip and knee position so may cause more problems than it solves.
Depending on the degree of difference from what is laughingly called the norm, and depending on the degree of discomfort you are prepared to tolerate, you may need to consider a custom built frame.
Andrew

Astanal

Postby Astanal » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 am

A longer stem is one way to do it, but bear in mind it will dull the steering responsiveness of the bike. You could look for a seatpost with greater head setback than you currently have, which will push you back a little bit.
I don't really want to fiddle around with the saddle too much because I like the position it is now. If I push it back I feel like I'm opening out my knee too much on the down stroke.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:39 pm

Without a new frame, a longer stem and handlebars with more reach are your best bets.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:56 pm

I have a very similar issue,close to a 54 top tube but went 52 to het a better fit knee to axel alignment...so run 110 stem and looked at a 120....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm

brawlo wrote:Without a new frame, a longer stem and handlebars with more reach are your best bets.
+1 This is the only way...

The saddle distance behind the bottom bracket should be a constant irrespective of TT length...

Duck! wrote:A longer stem is one way to do it, but bear in mind it will dull the steering responsiveness of the bike. You could look for a seatpost with greater head setback than you currently have, which will push you back a little bit.

Run a longer stem, which has the "benefit" of reducing the twitchiness of the steering when compared to a shorter stem :-)

(It's all in the way u phrase it!)

Astanal

Postby Astanal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Run a longer stem, which has the "benefit" of reducing the twitchiness of the steering when compared to a shorter stem :-)

(It's all in the way u phrase it!)
Do you happen to be a real estate agent?