Rail Outages - bus replacement services leave from PSP

rolandp

Rail Outages - bus replacement services leave from PSP

Postby rolandp » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Transperth have announced major outages in July and August to complete the City Link Project.
Shut 1: Friday 12 July until Wednesday 17 July 2013
Shut 2: Wednesday 31 July until Sunday 4 August 2013

At least one of the bus replacement services leaves from the Mitchell Fway PSP:

So plan ahead, and avoid these locations on the above periods as there will 100's of train passengers exiting the train onto the PSP, looking/waiting for their bus connection..

just4tehhalibut

Re: Rail Outages - bus replacement services leave from PSP

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Also note that for the last closure a couple of weekends ago the PSP at McIver was blocked off when that station was closed. Perth and McIver stations will again be closed in the upcoming rail works so plan a different way into or around the CBD.

Ah, Perth. Always a path detour somewhere.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Additional information from PTA:
In Perth the Roe Street Principal Shared Path (PSP), west of William Street, will be used as the temporary train replacement bus stop during this work.
Leederville Parade PSP (just east of Leederville Station) will also be used as a train replacement stop.
Cyclists should slow down and take extra care in this area as passengers will be waiting for their bus replacement services.
Signage will be in place to notify cyclists of the changes to the PSP during this weekend.
Should make interesting viewing watching the 100's of passengers also trying to walk over Leederville Parade to get the train replacement bus stop on the PSP. Wonder why they just don't close off a section of the Leederville car park (which is on the same side as the pedestrian bridge), or just close off Leederville Parade, for the period.

Reminds me of the Oct-2012 outage, where Transperth arranged buses, and all the buses were waiting on Cedric St. Problem being, they didn't allow enough room for us to see around the buses at our crossing:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 29, 2013 3:59 pm

As always Roland thanks for watching out for the rest of us.

I am sure some will see this as a sign of second class citizenry. But realistically I can't imagine that the project has a lot of potions, especially around the CBD.

London Bridge to a brick that there will be cycilsts plowing through cranky that the peds are there and peds cranky that the cyclists are.

I'm glad that, like most of the disruptions, they will not greatly affect me. But I do feel for those many riding the section in cleats if they have to dismount and negotiate pedestrians milling around.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Received an e-mail on this topic yesterday:
Good afternoon,
Recently we announced two major train shutdowns required in July and August as part of the Perth City Link rail project.
These shutdowns will take place from 7pm on Friday, 12 July until last service on Wednesday, 17 July and the second shutdown will begin from 3pm on Wednesday, 31 July until last service on Sunday, 4 August.
How can you help?
- Traffic management will be in place for the (PSP) on Roe Street (west of William Street) and Leederville Parade (east of Leederville Station) during the shutdowns. As these paths, will be busier than usual with passengers catching train replacement buses, please take extra care and slow down while using these routes.
- If you have bike storage facilities available as part of your business, please promote these to other bike users in the lead up to the shutdowns.
- If you’re an individual, please consider alternatives during these shutdowns.
- Spread the word to all of your contacts who will be impacted

This critical work will complete the new Fremantle Line tunnel and reinstate the Fremantle to Midland through-service.
See links below for further information. Regular updates will be made to the Transperth website to advise of timetable changes:
- http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - plan your journey
- Perth City Link - project details

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 am

Gentle reminder from CityLink project:
To connect the new Fremantle Line tunnel to the Transperth rail network, two shutdowns are needed from 12 to 17 July and then again from 31 July to 4 August.

During these shutdowns some Principal Shared Pathways (PSPs) will be used as train replacement bus stops, meaning that passengers will load onto buses from the shared paths.

The train replacement bus stops will be located as follows:

· Fielder Street, Perth

· Roe Street (west of William Street), Perth

· Wellington Street (in front of Wellington Street Bus Station), Perth

· Leederville Parade (north of the Leederville Station overpass entrance), Leederville

Traffic management will be in place along the impacted PSPs during the shutdowns. Please remember to slow down and be mindful of other cyclists and pedestrians.

Bike parking
The Public Transport Authority will be providing free bike parking a facilities out the front of Perth Station. U-rails will be provided by the PTA in an undercover area (Wellington Street entrance of Perth Station, opposite Forrest Place). Cyclists will need to bring their own locks and park at their own risk.
This starts on Friday.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 am

rolandp wrote:
This starts on Friday.
Specifically Friday evening from 7pm.

However I note also the statement on the transperth site which indicates that there are some disruptions from early Friday morning.
Additional impacts:
Please note the 2.15am late night service will be cancelled on all train lines on Friday 12 and Saturday 13 July (Saturday and Sunday mornings).
On roads and on paths watch out a little harder than usual for confused peds and motorists.

Be prepared, starting with being informed. Go tot he link at http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Service ... t2013.aspx

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Electronic signs in place today on both ends of Leederville Parade indicating path detours will be in place

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:10 am

Also bear in mind it's school holidays, bored youth without as much transport walking the paths likely to be jumping out at cyclists and laying traps and TdF caltrops when they're not busy vandalising and shoplifting.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
rolandp wrote:
This starts on Friday.
Specifically Friday evening from 7pm.
And yet the installed signs at Leederville give another view:

They also indicate morning closure only of the shared path for this location.

I will play it save, and take another route, just in case :). Won't hurt for the 4 days this time, and the ones at the end of the month.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Yay - I got a mention in WAToday ""10 Ways to Beat the Rail Shutdown". Quite rightly, bikes head the list.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/10-wa ... 2przj.html
10 ways to beat the rail shutdown... without driving
Date July 11, 2013 - 2:31PM
Michael Hopkin

With the looming shutdown across Perth’s train network, Perth commuters have been warned that it might a good idea to take a mini-break in Bali or work from home until it all blows over.

But Bali is a bit dangerous these days, and your boss is all too aware that ‘working from home’ is often a cleverly coded euphemism for ‘YouTube and nanna naps’.

Despite Perth’s love of cars, we all know deep down that driving is a crappy solution to the rail disruption. Not only have fuel prices hit a five-year high of 156.3 cents a litre, but as of tomorrow you’ll be sharing the roads with a bunch of nincompoops trying to figure out the best way to get from Grant Street to McIver (via Muzz Buzz).

So here are ten other ideas for how to get around our beautiful city, with not a traffic jam or parking fine in sight.

CYCLING
Bikes are for winners. And the rail stoppage is set to deliver a fresh boost to cycling’s growing popularity. Bike organisations are expecting many of us to dust off the old ten-speed and bravely battle, not just the elements, but other path users.
Cycling advocacy group Dismantle is organising a ‘bikebus’ from Fremantle into the city, an organised riding group complete with mobile repair station that can help inexperienced commuters deal with those dreaded punctures.
For those who fancy something a bit more car-shaped, why not take the whole family for a ride on a quad-cycle. Having said that, they’re not allowed on the road, and because they have a single fixed-wheel gear, they can’t go up or down hills either.
“Most people just use them to ride to the Bell Tower, grab an ice cream and then come back,” said Scott Pryer, manager of About Bike Hire, which rents them out from a kiosk on the East Perth foreshore.
Finally, to really stand out against the lycra hordes, why not try using one wheel instead of two, like Perth’s ‘unicycle guy’, Colin Christensen. Tweeting as @colinoldncranky, he posted this picture as evidence of “why it makes sense to unicycle to work”.
and then it goes on to skates, pogo sticks, canoes and all manner of things. But importantly they are in their right place BEHIND cycling. :mrgreen:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 am

Nice one Colin.

MainRoads have published their Official Alternative Routes for the Leederville area and Roe St

Leederville Area

Roe St

Personally, I will be riding via Lake Monger, rather than walking my bike over Leederville Pde.

I still can't see how they are going to get 1,000's of peds over Leederville Pde so they can hop onto the bus. I wouldn't be riding on Leederville Pde, (as shown as one of their suggestions) as you will then hit the ped crossing at the round-about. Take the Lake Monger route :).

wintal

Postby wintal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 am

Well... I guess we can at least be thankful they thought of it - last time I went through Leederville when rail replacement buses were on it was chaotic.

I'm a bit confused by the diagram, it only seems to show things for southbound cyclists. I presume northbound could try and use the road, though if there's a pile of buses I don't imagine it would be much fun.

I'll be using an alternate route anyway, as long as my conscious brain kicks in and I don't just end up on the path by auto-pilot.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 am

I was just going to give Leederville Parade a go but seeing the above comments and the detour proposed I am thinking to skirt the entire area and maybe put a few extra km in if feeling frisky otherwise Lake Monger here I come (come to think of it there is some good hill climbs just south of Lake Monger :evil:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the update guys. I will be affected by this, riding in from the east on the Graham Farmer Freeway PSP past McIver station. I have planned an alternate route if the PSP is too busy to ride on.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:As always Roland thanks for watching out for the rest of us.

I am sure some will see this as a sign of second class citizenry. But realistically I can't imagine that the project has a lot of potions, especially around the CBD.

London Bridge to a brick that there will be cycilsts plowing through cranky that the peds are there and peds cranky that the cyclists are.
Not me. I don't have any problem cycling at walking pace and do it often between Beaufort Street and Pier Street in Perth. If the PSP gets too congested, I can detour via Aberdeen St and Beaufort St to Wellington St.
<removed by request>

Phil

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Looking Very Photogenic in the Weekend West today Colin!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 pm

These ones:
Finally, to really stand out against the lycra hordes, why not try using one wheel instead of two, like Perth’s ‘unicycle guy’, Colin Christensen. Tweeting as @colinoldncranky, he posted this picture as evidence of “why it makes sense to unicycle to work”.
Is this lycra you are wearing Colin :) ?

It was good to see new faces/bikes yesterday on the PSP, in the trial run for next week.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Went past this morning early to hopefully miss the crowds. That didn't work 10 to 7am and the roads were packed with buses and people. Gotta commend Transperth and Main Roads for the heavy signage coming down the bridge towards it. Definitely going the other way round on the way home and for the rest of the week though. Just in case i fall into the trap like this rail replacement bus did: Image

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Well I ended up having to leave my bike at work on friday arvo so I bus/train combo'd this morning. When I got on the bus there was 1 other passenger and the train was half empty. I think I got to work in a record quick time including the walk from McIver Stn to into the city.
<removed by request>

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Despite all the awareness, Monday brain prevailed and even though I thought about it earlier in the ride as a chopper flew over around Stirling, I forgot all about it again for the Leederville section, took the forced detour onto road through that roundabout and up hill right onto bridge on Loftus to Thomas before back on path.

Only 100m of road reminder of not enjoying traffic who don't share with commercial utes wanting to block out lane changing to cycle reserve over the bridge and honking and accelerating to a red light traffic queue to force the issue. Glad to be back on the paths.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Against my better judgement I did the Leederville run also- won't do it again. No-one obeyed any laws (including commonsense) with cars ignoring the Lollypop men, Pedestrians from the overpass just streaming every which way through the cars and cyclists just ignoring it all and busting through the pedestrians like tuna hitting a bait ball. If no too windy might try a longer route into town or turn off at Lake Monger Drive and go up the west side of Leederville Station (I work in Subi) as the East side is an accident waiting to happen

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Against my better judgement I did the Leederville run also- won't do it again. No-one obeyed any laws (including commonsense) with cars ignoring the Lollypop men, Pedestrians from the overpass just streaming every which way through the cars and cyclists just ignoring it all and busting through the pedestrians like tuna hitting a bait ball.
Hilarious... well, the way you wrote that, not the thing that happened. A ped/vehicle/cyclist free-for-all is no laughing matter. :?
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:58 pm

I go that way through Leederville...

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I was later than usual this morning and it seems all the panic had passed, though I can imagine the scene pictured and agreed wouldn’t like to be there. Imagine adding dark and wet roads tonight 5:30pm!

We rolled up to the start of a lollipop stoppage, everyone behaving.
The stream from the railway looked like it could o forever if looking at street and overpass. There was a break after 30 seconds and me and rider in frame below lead out the cars in race to roundabout like TdF heroes mashing the pedals :)
No point trying to cut seconds to only get to the red lights at Loftus/Thomas, which we rolled to the front of as they changed green... but traffic after 8am seems like nothing compared to the earlier examples.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm

I must say my jaw just dropped at the spectacle, if an occasion ever warranted a couple of police officers pulling people aside this was it (I am talking about cyclists). Eldavo- your picture represents a different world to what I saw. Actually it reminded me of the critical mass rides of the 90's with militant cyclists deliberately antagonizing vehicles although the pedestrian element added a further dimension.