Fremantle Congestion Photo Opportunity

Aushiker

Fremantle Congestion Photo Opportunity

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 pm

The Heart Foundation and City of Fremantle are partnering to undertake a photo shoot of monumental proportions. On Sunday 21 July 2013, High Street will be closed to traffic from 6.00 am until 11.00 am.

The aim of the photo shoot is to replicate the famous 'congestion' photo taken in Muenster, Germany, over 20 years ago (image above). You can find a link to a news article on it here. It was also replicated in Canberra in 2012, but now it's Fremantle's turn.

If you are interested you can register at the City of Fremantle website

Andrew

rolandp

Re: Fremantle Congestion Photo Opportunity

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 am

Wonder why it is:
We will need 76 riders (with bikes), 76 pedestrians and 50 cars (with drivers) to volunteer their time. You may choose to partake in each photo shoot, or just one. Your ability to take part in more than one photo shoot will depend on interest prior to the event.
Shouldn't there be equal number of cars to bikes/pedestrians.

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 am

Maybe they can't fit 76 cars into the shot?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am

Shred931 wrote:Maybe they can't fit 76 cars into the shot?
That is what I assume it relates to or the number in the original photo?

Andrew

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:49 am

rolandp wrote:Wonder why it is:
We will need 76 riders (with bikes), 76 pedestrians and 50 cars (with drivers) to volunteer their time. You may choose to partake in each photo shoot, or just one. Your ability to take part in more than one photo shoot will depend on interest prior to the event.
Shouldn't there be equal number of cars to bikes/pedestrians.
Maybe because the 50 cars could carry 76 people, assuming some had 2 or more people in? (Unlikely, I know, but ...)
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Where does someone like me fit? Pedestrian? Cyclist? Both?

On reflection, neither. The concept is simple and the message does not net distractions. Good luck to those who join in.

I am guessing that 76 was the exact number that could be put on a the bus.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

fixed

Postby fixed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 pm

the atmosphere in a bus is a toxic soup
blecch
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Walk Over October

Postby Walk Over October » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for promoting our congestion photo on this forum. We hope you will consider registering to volunteer and pass the informaiton on to friends and family.
The information should say 76 cyclists, 76 pedestrians and 58 cars. The reason being that the capacity of a Fremantle bus (one of the gas ones) is 76, hence the same number of pedestrian and cyclists. The number of cars needed is 58 because the average occupancy of a car is 1.3 people. The photo is aiming to highlight the road space taken up by the four methods of transport.
Hope this clarifies your queries.
Thanks for your support.
Walk Over October

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Walk Over October, hopefully you got my e-mail sent off on Friday. In the e-mail I has asked why there were only 50 cars, which you have now confirmed on this forum should be 58, based on average occupancy of a car is 1.3 people. Are you able to provide a link to where you obtained this statistic.

The one I found (and provided in the e-mail) was Charting Transport - published Aug 2011
which shows an average occupancy of around 1.09 for Perth. This equates to around 70 cars required.

Should people care about the difference in number of cars? Given that our Premier recently quoted 'We cannot continue to build roads for vehicles with one person in them, the way in which people travel and move around our city.', to me a difference of 1.09 and 1.3 is a lot, and additional 12 cars in the photo should be used.

In addition (and not discussed in the e-mail), it is really interesting to see the number of people on a Perth bus. The figure of 76 was only implemented in Dec 2011, when magically PTA increased the maximum number from 59, even though the buses weren't modified or road conditions modified either. So we are with a figure of 76 compared to Canberra's photo used 69, and the original Muenster photo used 72. However, the fundamental fault is, what is the average occupancy of a bus to passengers? I could not locate statistics, but would be very surprised it is 100% all of the time. So if we are going to use average occupancy of cars, why not buses. So for example, if a bus is 66% full, it would require 1.5 buses to transport that 72 people. Again why should people care about the difference in number of buses? If you have ridden on a road, with a bus overtaking you in the same lane, it is not a pleasant experience. The environmental impact is also greater when we are using buses designed to carry 76 people, and they don't (ie why aren't we running smaller buses in areas what don't have 80-100% occupancy?).

I like the idea of replicating the photo, but it should be based on actual usage, and on Perth/Fremantle usage.

As an additional idea, why couldn't an additional photo taken on actual modes of transport. For example, City of Perth's Vision came out last week showing:
Private Car - 68.9%
Public Transport - 10.4%
Walk - 2.2%
Travel by bike is not even recorded in this high-level document, but I think it is around 2% (don't ask me what the other modes of transport are which are not listed above), but this also gives a picture of how WA's travel to work. Would this not also be a interesting picture if this could be demonstrated as a bar chart, using cars/people/buses/cyclists as the bars? You will need more cars though.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:43 pm

rolandp wrote:I like the idea of replicating the photo, but it should be based on actual usage, and on Perth/Fremantle usage.
Some fair points raised but considering
The aim of the photo shoot is to replicate the famous 'congestion' photo taken in Muenster, Germany, over 20 years ago
they could stick to the original numbers. To do a photo shoot based on actual usage data would be interesting but another project entirely.

I also note your comment stating that
If you have ridden on a road, with a bus overtaking you in the same lane, it is not a pleasant experience.
Point taken, but it is not always an unpleasant experience either. I have been driven off the road a number of times by bus drivers but have also been given adequate room by a number of bus drivers. I think it is more about the driver than the bus.
<removed by request>

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:25 am

The original Muenster photo used a ratio of 1.2, not 1.3. So, why not use WA rates of 1.09, if we are going to deviate from the original photo?

One has to ask the question, given that the photo is being taken in WA.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 am

rolandp wrote:The original Muenster photo used a ratio of 1.2, not 1.3. So, why not use WA rates of 1.09, if we are going to deviate from the original photo?

The statistic you have quoted is journey's to work. I wouldnt be at all surprised if the general average is somewhat higher.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:35 am

im_no_pro wrote:The statistic you have quoted is journey's to work. I wouldnt be at all surprised if the general average is somewhat higher.
You are correct, general average ratio is higher for the whole day:
But, the above data is not for WA, and the only figures I could find for Perth are the one provided earlier.

If they are using a ratio of 1.3 for this photo, could they explain why, as even in the above charts, majority of capitals shown are less than 1.3?

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am

rolandp wrote:The original Muenster photo used a ratio of 1.2, not 1.3. So, why not use WA rates of 1.09, if we are going to deviate from the original photo?

I would stick to the original or use WA stats.
<removed by request>

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:19 pm

either way I am in and have registered
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Heard back from the organisers (and thanks to Department of Transport who also assisted), and the number of cars required now is 70 using a ratio of 1.09.

The challenge now is to get 70 cars down to Fremantle, so if you have volunteered to be a cyclist, consider driving there with the bike on the back. I know this may sound like a weird request, but one less car in the future on the road helps cyclists in the long run.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Nice work as the exercise of getting it more accurate shows what is known and what isn't.

I do like seeing the big new Lexus SUV with single road bike on roof after Sunday morning river rides taking freeway back to suburbia. Can't lose race performance too early riding there ;)

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:58 pm

rolandp wrote:Heard back from the organisers (and thanks to Department of Transport who also assisted), and the number of cars required now is 70 using a ratio of 1.09.

The challenge now is to get 70 cars down to Fremantle, so if you have volunteered to be a cyclist, consider driving there with the bike on the back. I know this may sound like a weird request, but one less car in the future on the road helps cyclists in the long run.
Good work. After reading the entire thread I understand why you pushed for 70 and I agree... although it will be interesting trying to get 70 cars into Freo... :lol:
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:02 pm

So, is anyone putting their name down?

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Howdy all,
They did something similar in Canberra last September Canberra's attempt

Although they used 69 volunteers, 69 bicycles, 60 cars and one bus gathered in Canberra to recreate a world-renowned photograph taken more than 20 years ago to demonstrate the advantages of bus and bicycle travel in congested cities.

Still a great eye opener.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Parker wrote:So, is anyone putting their name down?
My name is down for all three modes, if required.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 pm

I do agree that they should probably show the average occupancy of the bus instead of maximum, in Sydney other than a few services in peak times it's my experience that buses are on the whole almost entirely empty almost all of the time.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:06 am

I guess it's a bit obvious to say that infrastructure is typically at peak usage at peak times only... but I think the intention of the shot was all about peak's and comparing physical space at peak times.
I read someone make the point to cars in traffic agro at 'queue jumping' motorcyclists or cyclists, "when was the last time you were stuck between such users around you?"
People typically don't see themselves as part of the problem, so it has to be someone else.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 am

Got my confirmation e-mail about this event occurring this Sunday. They are still after people to be in the photo, in particular, cars. If you are interested please sign up.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I am in for the bike component. I will be wearing a orange Pearl Azumi jersey and be on my trusty MS Oppy A4. Come and say hi so I can place faces to names.
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt