Moving to melbourne

Moving to melbourne

Postby iaintas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Looks like im moving to melbourne! now the question is single speed commuter or build up a cheapish ribble bike with SRAM rival for commuting. Im certainly looking forward to getting into some more road and crit racing and CX racing is on the cards also. Anyway excited to go to the city of great coffee and the brunswick street vege cafe with the best chocolate cake in the world. :D
Image
iaintas
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

by BNA » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am

BNA
 

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Dimis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am

Welcome... I hope you enjoy your stay.
I'm biased, but I love the joint.
It's not ranked in the top 5 worlds most livable cities for nuthin' :lol:

My feeling is that a single speed fixie will fit right in if you are around Brunswick or the other coffee sipping central locals around town.
But my personal preference would be for a roadie with some gears... :)
Dimis
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby iaintas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Not sure were we are going to live yet, we have a dog so mid city probably is not an option, maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred so hopefully all comes together, looking forward to having more racing options and getting into some Cyclocross racing too. Im not really a big city person in general, but i do love Melbourne.
Image
iaintas
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby michael_w » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

iaintas wrote:Not sure were we are going to live yet, we have a dog so mid city probably is not an option, maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred so hopefully all comes together, looking forward to having more racing options and getting into some Cyclocross racing too. Im not really a big city person in general, but i do love Melbourne.

If you move to Belgrave, I hope you like your climbing :) Plenty of hills around here
User avatar
michael_w
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Upwey, Vic

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am

Mid city isn't too much of a problem if you research and choose a place with parks nearby - eg. if there is something suitable in your price range around Yarra Bend/Studley Park it is a great park and I see lots of dogs being walked in there (not to mention the Main Yarra Trail runs through it and there are some sections you could use for cyclocross).

Fawkner Park or Albert Park are also big parks (and closer to the Alfred) although you may be looking at more expensive prices and I don't believe bike riding is encouraged in those parks.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

^ You're allowed to ride through Fawkner Park, but there are still many people who walk their dogs off-leash when it isn't permitted, so you have to watch out for that.
iaintas wrote:maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred

:shock: Belgrave is a nice place, but pretty far from the Alfred and the Mercy... Commuting that far on a daily basis would certainly test your mettle!

In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4358
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am

rkelsen wrote:In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.


+1
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 am

Summernight wrote:
rkelsen wrote:In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.


+1


And there's the Moonee Ponds Creek, Merry Creek and Darebin Creek for dog walking.

We moved to Coburg for that reason; decent sized blocks with a bit of a yard for the dog, dog walking areas, and distance to work (I'm at St Vincent's, my Wife's at the Austin; The Alfred is a fair trek from here though).
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby VRE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby iaintas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 pm

yeah i would be pretty happy with a 40-45km round trip commute, but the +1 would drive, she is can work at the Mercy and Womens and Monash hospitals so it limits it to the eastern side of the city a bit. Im going to Alfred or stay at home dad!
Image
iaintas
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby iaintas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:42 pm

wow that was badly written!
Image
iaintas
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Isn't Melbourne quite flat so it suits riding a fixie? In contrast, I see the hipsters on their fixies in Sydney dying on the many hills.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby kb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 pm

VRE wrote:I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.

Apologies for the OT post.. how do you usually get to Warburton? I've gone via Gembrook but it means 180km return (from Blackburn). Also returned via the Warburton Hwy on Sunday but wasn't thrilled with it trafficwise.
Image
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby VRE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:21 pm

kb wrote:
VRE wrote:I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.

Apologies for the OT post.. how do you usually get to Warburton? I've gone via Gembrook but it means 180km return (from Blackburn). Also returned via the Warburton Hwy on Sunday but wasn't thrilled with it trafficwise.

Via Maroondah Hwy to Lilydale, then the Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail, so 40 of the 57km is off-road (and very tranquil and relaxing). Road bikes can be used on the trail, provided you're prepared to get them a bit dusty.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:27 am

biker jk wrote:Isn't Melbourne quite flat so it suits riding a fixie? In contrast, I see the hipsters on their fixies in Sydney dying on the many hills.

CBD and most of the inner/west is, out east things start getting vertical.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26011
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am

I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby kb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 am

It's a about 300m gain over 18km (85m net) for my flattest route home. Not a lot but not pancake flat.
Image
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby VRE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

kb wrote:It's a about 300m gain over 18km (85m net) for my flattest route home. Not a lot but not pancake flat.

My commute to work averages about 300-350m climbing and to home averages about 600-650m, so as Mulger Bill said: "out east things start getting vertical".
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm

jamesn184 wrote:I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs

To the CBD? What sorta time do you make?
I've got a workmate from Burnside and I'm sick enough of his whinging about being stuck in traffic to tell him he'd get there faster burning fat.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26011
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 am

Mulger bill wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs

To the CBD? What sorta time do you make?
I've got a workmate from Burnside and I'm sick enough of his whinging about being stuck in traffic to tell him he'd get there faster burning fat.


The best time I've done is 44mins 30seconds and that was leaving home at 3:45pm for a afternoon shift, the average time is around 51mins
Bare in mind I ride along Ballarat rd then along Dynon Rd and up Victoria st... Ballarat rd is not for the average joe sometimes :)
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks mate.

Sometimes?

I've ridden it a more than a few times from the Ring Rd inbound and copped big scares most times, I'd go 30 kms out of my way to avoid the Duke-Ashley section. Much prefer the Kororoit ck trail to Forest St then South Rd, Essex then Dynon or Footscray Rds to Dudley
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26011
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks mate.

Sometimes?

I've ridden it a more than a few times from the Ring Rd inbound and copped big scares most times, I'd go 30 kms out of my way to avoid the Duke-Ashley section. Much prefer the Kororoit ck trail to Forest St then South Rd, Essex then Dynon or Footscray Rds to Dudley


I've had a few close shaves, to name a few.. but generally I have no drama's
I ride along there Monday/Tuesday nights (AT) midnight and Sat/Sun mornings around 05:00. I've done a few rides into work around 17:00 and had no real issues either.

The only parts I hate are the bridge over Albion station and the bit before scumshine police station heading home... (just opp bunnings)
Image
jamesn184
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby MarkG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I love Melbourne!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby RoryW » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 pm

iaintas wrote:yeah i would be pretty happy with a 40-45km round trip commute, but the +1 would drive, she is can work at the Mercy and Womens and Monash hospitals so it limits it to the eastern side of the city a bit. Im going to Alfred or stay at home dad!


Although it's far from Hipsterville, medium distances along the Dandenong train line (say Caulfield to Clayton) give good accessibility to the city by train, bike or car plus access to either the bayside or the hills.
That said, going North west/South east through the inner areas in peak hour - especially involving crossing the river can be very tedious by means other than by bike.

RoryW
RoryW
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 am

kb wrote:
VRE wrote:I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.

Apologies for the OT post.. how do you usually get to Warburton? I've gone via Gembrook but it means 180km return (from Blackburn). Also returned via the Warburton Hwy on Sunday but wasn't thrilled with it trafficwise.


Blackburn to Warburton via Gembrook and return !! Wow, hard-man :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18757
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.


Return to Victoria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit