Cell Bikes

thomashouseman

Re: Cell Bikes

Postby thomashouseman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:51 pm

Wow, nice thread resurrection!

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Wow, nice thread resurrection!
Haha, thanks thomashouseman! we do our best to find the most important forums (this one), and answer anyone's questions, and carefully listen to feedback from people who are kind enough to share.

We've changed a lot since when some of these Posts/Comments were made. We've expanded to Melbourne, and have even had a staff makeover (i.e. bringing in fresh, customer focused staff, and jettisoning anyone who isn't).

Look forward to changing everyone's mind about us, if they are basing their opinions from the distant past ('cheap, but only good if you know exactly what you want').

Cheers everyone,
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Growing to love cell. Super Fast delivery , good range and competitive prices. Nice work guys

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:48 pm

scotto wrote:Growing to love cell. Super Fast delivery , good range and competitive prices. Nice work guys
Hi scotto, cheers for the kind words. We also appreciate the constructive feedback with how we need to improve, as this is helps us immensely.

While some things may be out of our hands, what can be controlled is how issues are dealt with, to your satisfaction.

Without you, there is no us. With so many competitors, we appreciate anyone who considers us for a purchase.

Thanks everyone.
-website mgr Mark

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:04 pm

CELL Bikes wrote: We also appreciate the constructive feedback with how we need to improve, as this is helps us immensely.

Here's some more feedback: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25724&p=989548#p989548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One example is your Dutchess ladies bike. It's been on 43% discount for at least a year now. (I've been keeping an eye on it for my wife)
Why not make that it's regular price? You do this for A LOT of your items. Permanent discount but inflated actual cost.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
CELL Bikes wrote: We also appreciate the constructive feedback with how we need to improve, as this is helps us immensely.

Here's some more feedback: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25724&p=989548#p989548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One example is your Dutchess ladies bike. It's been on 43% discount for at least a year now. (I've been keeping an eye on it for my wife)
Why not make that it's regular price? You do this for A LOT of your items. Permanent discount but inflated actual cost.
Hi Thomashouseman,

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the Dutchess, we've had that price and forgot to return it to higher price. We have a small team, and we're so crazy busy that sometimes things slip through our fingers.

We will be making things much simpler, and may being doing away with the RRP price, as people are very intelligent and do their own comparisons between brands. It also makes it easier for us resource wise, so we don't need to stuff around with different prices.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we will be more diligent.

-website mgr Mark

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 pm

thomashouseman wrote:

Wiggle, Cycling express, Torpedo7 (they have high normal prices but constant storewide sales) and lots of other online stores do it too. I'd imagine that doing so makes it easier to change the price, whether it needs to go up or down.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm

scotto wrote:Growing to love cell. Super Fast delivery , good range and competitive prices. Nice work guys
Normally I found their delivery to be good, but when I did my last order it took them 4 days to get the items shipped out (as in picked up from them) and all items were showing as being in stock when I ordered. Was not too happy as I needed to then go and buy another lot of the same items from a random bike shop due to time issues.. Oh well...

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:14 pm

drnick79 wrote:Normally I found their delivery to be good, but when I did my last order it took them 4 days to get the items shipped out (as in picked up from them) and all items were showing as being in stock when I ordered. Was not too happy as I needed to then go and buy another lot of the same items from a random bike shop due to time issues.. Oh well...

S
Hi drnick79,

4 days is a bit long, and I can understand your frustration. What day did you order, and what day did you receive your order? Please feel free to send me an email or pvt msg (mark@this link is broken) and I would like to try and show you our appreciation for you being a loyal customer. I will raise your experience with senior mgmt, and we will be more diligent to ensure that anything that is stated as 'in-stock' is definitely in-stock, and ready to go. However sometimes there may be a systems error, for varying reasons, and for this, we will always do our best to show you we appreciate your business.

-website mgr Mark

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Cheers Mark, i'll send you a PM.

Sean
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:38 pm

drnick79 wrote:
Normally I found their delivery to be good, but when I did my last order it took them 4 days to get the items shipped out (as in picked up from them) and all items were showing as being in stock when I ordered. Was not too happy as I needed to then go and buy another lot of the same items from a random bike shop due to time issues.. Oh well...

S
You are complaining about 4 days???

If you want something straight away, you pay a premium and go to your LBS. If you want a better price, go online but be reasonable in the time it takes to get to you...

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Not complaining over 4 days as such, just thought I would point out to Cell of the delay as the items were showing as in stock. I don't want anything from Cell, just pointing it out.

I also support my LBS as well as Cell. :)

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:54 pm

drnick79 wrote:Not complaining over 4 days as such, just thought I would point out to Cell of the delay as the items were showing as in stock. I don't want anything from Cell, just pointing it out.

I also support my LBS as well as Cell. :)

S

No worries mate. With people getting their orders from Wiggle in about 4 days, we cannot stand pat and let any delays happen on our end. We'll keep improving our service to you, until all of you are 100% satisfied, all the time (which means we'll always be working hard, haha).
-website mgr Mark

comehome

Postby comehome » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Out of interest, is anyone here riding a 2013 (or 2012, for that matter) Cell Blade?

I'm trying to get into cycling myself and the Cell offerings seems to offer good middle-ground between Reid & Giant, for example.

I've been put off a little by the questionable quality control & service as outlined here and in other threads / forums. As a novice, I want to be fitted and fitted well, and the bike set up as well as it can be. Also read a couple instances of components failing which is quite concerning. All heresy, I must add (and some reports quite old, too), but these things do play on your mind. I will certainly make time to visit their Melbourne store in the coming weeks however and make my own mind up. In the meantime, advice is appreciated.

Ps. I have the option to pick up the seemingly well regarded Malvern Star Oppy, albeit the entry-level A1, which seems like a good deal but the components are inferior to that of the Blade. Thoughts?

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 am

comehome wrote:Out of interest, is anyone here riding a 2013 (or 2012, for that matter) Cell Blade?

I'm trying to get into cycling myself and the Cell offerings seems to offer good middle-ground between Reid & Giant, for example.

I've been put off a little by the questionable quality control & service as outlined here and in other threads / forums. As a novice, I want to be fitted and fitted well, and the bike set up as well as it can be. Also read a couple instances of components failing which is quite concerning. All heresy, I must add (and some reports quite old, too), but these things do play on your mind. I will certainly make time to visit their Melbourne store in the coming weeks however and make my own mind up. In the meantime, advice is appreciated.

Ps. I have the option to pick up the seemingly well regarded Malvern Star Oppy, albeit the entry-level A1, which seems like a good deal but the components are inferior to that of the Blade. Thoughts?
Hi comehome, of course anything I say about CELL will be biased, but we have come a long way from since most of those issues you've read about. Please feel free to stop by our Melb shop and ask whatever questions you have. For best one-on-one service, please come during off-peak hours. Our busiest times are the weekend, or you can give us a call to see when the best time that will suit your schedule.

If you come by, let us know about your experience, what you liked, what you think could be improved, and overall impressions.

Looking forward to seeing you.
-website mgr Mark

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 am

comehome wrote:Out of interest, is anyone here riding a 2013 (or 2012, for that matter) Cell Blade?

I don't have the Blade, but do have the Swift which is the next up the line in Cell's offerings. I love it. I ride it almost daily either commuting or riding with mates on weekends. For the price, it's great. It has Tiagra versus the Blade's Sora groupset and I can't fault it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am

I'll start by saying I have no affiliation or connection with Cell other than being a long time customer, my brother has a Swift (2012 I think? The frame looks quite similar to the current Blade) and it is a very nice bike, he hasn't had a single issue with it. Cell don't make the components, so any instance of failed components (which are far from common from what I've seen/heard) are not their fault, and the vast majority of those few issues appear to be resolved quickly. I haven't bought a bike from Cell yet but with all of the many purchases of jerseys/knicks/pedals etc etc myself and my 2 brothers have made the service has been great with exceptionally quick delivery.

I have a carbon Oppy C7 and it's a great bike, to me the frame on the Oppy looks a little nicer but the shifters have the thumb levers made famous/infamous by the older Sora shifters, my first road bike (a Jamis Ventura) had Sora shifters and I absolutely hated them. Some people are ok with those shifters though, so I would say try and test ride both and just see which one you prefer.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

comehome

Postby comehome » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Great, thanks for your responses, guys. Nice to hear some satisfied customers. Great to hear from Mark, too.

To be frank, the Blade is already pushing my budging; the Swift might just be out of reach. Nonetheless, how much better is the Tiagra groupset over the Sora? I understand neither to be Shimano's lowest so I figure I'm already doing okay on that front. Are there any other notable differences between these two bikes?

And Mark, out of interest, do you guys still offer options for wheel upgrades when purchasing a bike? And I don't suppose you have any packages / bundles available with the bike that will get me on the road (ie. helmet, peddles, shoes, pump, etc.). I believe Reid do something like this.

Thanks, all. And please, continue to add your (recent) experiences with Cell bikes if you have any.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

comehome wrote:Mark, out of interest, do you guys still offer options for wheel upgrades when purchasing a bike? And I don't suppose you have any packages / bundles available with the bike that will get me on the road (ie. helmet, peddles, shoes, pump, etc.). I believe Reid do something like this.
When you visit the boys at the Melbourne shop, they will always throw something together that will make you happy.

We also have new 'bonus kit's with every bike sold, so there's always those as well.

As mentioned by ldrcycles, visit as many shops as you need to, talk to the staff, get on the bikes, etc, and whatever fits you best, and whatever shop gives you the best service, go with them. If it's not us, please let me know about it.
-website mgr Mark

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:50 pm

just ordered the cell swift over the phone with the stanmore shop

Mark, any magic phrases I can use to increase my chances of getting some platform pedals and toeclips thrown in? the guy that took my order tried to upsell me to get the shimano road pedals+shoes for extra $$ but i've already got some SPD and MTB shoes on order from wiggle that was too embarrassing to mention. However, it'll take a week or so to arrive so keen to get started riding on toeclips as a interim measure.

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm

dajackal wrote:just ordered the cell swift over the phone with the stanmore shop

Mark, any magic phrases I can use to increase my chances of getting some platform pedals and toeclips thrown in?
Hi dajackal, if you join our Facebook page and agree to do a customer review on the website and on the Facebook page with photos I can probably throw some your way.
-website mgr Mark

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

comehome wrote: To be frank, the Blade is already pushing my budging; the Swift might just be out of reach. Nonetheless, how much better is the Tiagra groupset over the Sora? I understand neither to be Shimano's lowest so I figure I'm already doing okay on that front. Are there any other notable differences between these two bikes?
Basically the only problem Sora ever had was the thumb shifters, aside from that mine always shifted and braked really well, so now the thumb levers are gone for 2013 there's no compelling reason IMO to spend the extra for Tiagra. My personal bike has 105 which is a big jump in shift feel over the Tiagra I had before, but the speed or reliability of the shift is no different. The Cell has external bearing cranks rather than the square taper cranks on the Oppy, while I am a big fan of square taper cranks from my experiences external bearing are fine and they are definitely a lot lighter. Other than that there's not much between them, Sora brakes may or may not be better than the Tektro items on the MS and the wheels look about the same. One thing to note is that while the Quando hubs on the Cell are ok quality (my singlespeed has Quando hubs), they will die an early death if they aren't adjusted properly. Any cup and cone bearing hub will suffer damage if misadjusted but the low cost construction of Quando hubs makes them less forgiving IME. Don't read that as meaning they are no good, I've done something like 1,500km on mine no worries but just something to keep an eye on.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

dajackal

Postby dajackal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:54 am

not too happy with my recent dealings with CELL

i ordered my bike over the phone for pickup.

the guy that took my order said he'd only take $100 deposit and then the rest when i come to pick it up.
i check my online banking later that afternoon and see the full amount deducted.
i call up and the guy apologized for the mistake and i demanded that they make sure they do a proper fit when i come in to pickup the bike.

i come in at the appointed time and they refused to fit me. i asked two different sales guys and they wouldn't budge. they only seemed interested if i bought the pedals and shoes from them.

i'm now getting massive shoulder and neck pain and dread riding it for commuting.

not a pleasant experience given its my first road bike.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 am

dajackal wrote:not too happy with my recent dealings with CELL

the guy that took my order said he'd only take $100 deposit and then the rest when i come to pick it up.
i check my online banking later that afternoon and see the full amount deducted.
i call up and the guy apologized for the mistake and i demanded that they make sure they do a proper fit when i come in to pickup the bike.

i come in at the appointed time and they refused to fit me. i asked two different sales guys and they wouldn't budge. they only seemed interested if i bought the pedals and shoes from them.

i'm now getting massive shoulder and neck pain and dread riding it for commuting.

Going by your previous post, you ordered it on the 13th, why didn't you mention then about the payment issues?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am

ozzymac wrote:
dajackal wrote:not too happy with my recent dealings with CELL

Going by your previous post, you ordered it on the 13th, why didn't you mention then about the payment issues?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
Also, "demanding" a shop do a bike fit isn't going to win you any friends..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"