Rail Outages - bus replacement services leave from PSP

nachoman

Re: Rail Outages - bus replacement services leave from PSP

Postby nachoman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Heading south there were no detour or dismount signs on Leederville Parade this afternoon, the western side path was open

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Is the roadworks of the freewawy offramp complete there? Haven't been for a while, as it wasn't great going around the Cambridge intersection.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Freeway and local roads looked OK at the time I was heading to Perth - no more than usual heading north to Perth on the Kwinana Freeway PSP. However there was clearly extra cycle traffic along the Esplanade PSP. And a lot of incoming cyclists across the Causeway.

I happened to catch the red light at the crossing where Canning Highway traffic exits over the Causeway. So I used the opportunity to count the cars with more than a driver. Of 34 cars I counted only three with a passenger. That is even worse than usual which, on the Kwinana Freeway PSP in the evenings is about 1 in 5 cars.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Evening ride both heading and and out of city at leederville was perfect. All traffic and pedestrians were on the other side of the road. Good planning by transperth and main roads

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Good ride home with lots of traffic until I hit Cedric Street when the rear went flat in about 5 seconds- great fun pulling carp out of a backpack to find all the gear in the bottom of the bag. Thanks to all the people who stopped to see if I was okay (yes that was me at the council entrance, why couldn't I get the flat on one of the countless dry days we have had :cry:
Will see if the 5000k durano plus holds air overnight, if not, in the bin it goes

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 pm

CXcommuter we may have touched the same good luck charm, a damper on my trip home too.
I intended to catch the fine break after the front ~5pm, instead 90min later on the road and caught a new front for 3/4 of the trip home.
The buses were opposite the PSP this time.
My In-laws happened to be heading to our place after dinner in Leederville and saw me at this same PSP spot, they enjoyed some 'bit wet out there?' 'didn't see anyone else cycling' chuckles to themselves and mentioned it poured all the way home as I was no doubt aware, before a redeeming mention they had a rum and raisin choc bomb for me from Luna and a big duty free Toblerone found lost/forgotten from their last holiday, so I wasn't so mute after a hot shower.
I even had my first Brooks saddle arrive today to test out, but I wasn't game to fit it prematurely, and fortunately put the box in a plastic bag to strap it to the bike.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Glutton for punishment I am I did the Leederville run this morning after my luck held up with the tyre- still holding air. Magnitudes better today- virtually no cars, less bikes and lots of pedestrians, lo and behold everyone obeyed the directions and the held up was less than 30seconds. It may have helped that a couple of transit officers were in a highly visible location.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Not many sheeple on the eastern PSP around McIver station this morning. On the downsite it was rainy most of the way in and I arrived at work soaked :-(
<removed by request>

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 pm

was exiting freeway onto vincent yesterday arvo at about 430...saw some poor cyclists hammered with the rain around leederville....i feel for yas!

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 am

oh dear... last night was horrid

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 am

Parker- I rode home through that- head/tailwind the whole way until I turned off the PSP to get home, 2km of bliss with a 70-80km/h tailwind. Arrived home and then it bucketed down thankfully. This mornings effort was horrid with the headwind after last nights effort just to get forward movement

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 am

oh no oh no oh no... no way was I riding this morning... hell I wasn't even going to go to work today if the winds were still high, I was going to claim OH and S and stay home. I almost got blown off my bike more than twice, I had to head west towards scabs and I swear I found religion again...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 am

When I went to leave work yesterday arvo, I found my clothes were toasty dry :mrgreen: but it poured as soon as I got out the door, so I got soaked :cry: and then the rain stopped, to be replaced by very strong, gusting side winds :shock:. Hairy ride home and this morning my clothes were not properly dry. So, slightly damp cycling gear and a bitterly cold headwind all the way to work :evil:. Lucky I have very nice warm showers at work :D
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Just went past the Perth Underground Station and it's open, so I assume train services have resumed as normal?
<removed by request>

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 pm

It is all about kick off again at Leederville et.al. Hope everyone remembers how to do it properly from last time or will we have 1st day craziness, weather is better this time so may see lots of bikes out and about (Freo PSP has seen significantly higher than normal patronage based on my entirely scientific, justified, statistically sound rule of thumb observations along 1.5km of the PSP heading in the opposite direction.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 am

Not sure if this has been reported, part of the Milligan St train line overpass has been diverted to on top of the Freo line tunnel roof, exiting at Chinatown on Roe St. Here is my GPS route of it:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 am

Red Rider wrote:Not sure if this has been reported, part of the Milligan St train line overpass has been diverted to on top of the Freo line tunnel roof, exiting at Chinatown on Roe St. Here is my GPS route of it:
Hi Red Rider, thanks for the reminder of the Milligan St overpass diversion. If we then align your GPS Map with the official Rail outage map, there is some overlap and looks like the diversion comes out right in the middle of the Roe St closure section:

Please also remember that this time, it is no longer school holidays, so there will be additional people impacted by this week's outage.

And there is also the closure on Loftus St which if you are not a regular commuter, you may not be aware of. Loftus St/Railway St is also where all the train replacement buses turn down from Leederville, so another hot spot.

At least it is only 4.5 days this time, of which 2 days are the week-end :).

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 am

A fair few cyclists around this morning, all was good at Leederville, barely held up as I managed to hit there between trains.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:39 pm

This has been on the shared path for the last two days - just east of Leederville Station. It is part of the signs put up to warn us about the rail outage:
If they are going to park this thing here, hopefully they will report the hole in the PSP :).