Protein + cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
variable

Re: Protein + cycling

Postby variable » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 pm

gabrielle what did you end up going with?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Of course taste is a very personal thing... But the one I have found to taste the best is the chocolate flavoured Aussie Bodies Protein FX Lo Carb. It doesn't taste as artificial as many others on the market.
Andrew

variable

Postby variable » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Cool, I have that in the trunk of my car, yet to try. I will have to purchase that online. $35 at woolworths, $18 online, that's not nearly so bad.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Why look for the "best" processed protein supplement? Just eat _food_, guys. It tastes good. Honest. :-)

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 am

chriscole wrote:Why look for the "best" processed protein supplement? Just eat _food_, guys. It tastes good. Honest. :-)
People building muscle can struggle to eat enough to get the amounts of protein required, Chris.

Even a steak may only be a third protein by weight, and you've got to get the fat as well.

I absolutely murder a T-bone, but shakes are efficient.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:16 pm

clackers wrote:
chriscole wrote:Why look for the "best" processed protein supplement? Just eat _food_, guys. It tastes good. Honest. :-)
People building muscle can struggle to eat enough to get the amounts of protein required, Chris.

Even a steak may only be a third protein by weight, and you've got to get the fat as well.

I absolutely murder a T-bone, but shakes are efficient.
how much protein is required Clackers?

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

winstonw wrote:
Up to *double* of that required by a non-exerciser, Winston!

Eg http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... -_how_much

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am

winstonw wrote: how much protein is required Clackers?
No, no, no Winston, you are missing the point. It's not just the amount that matters, it's the type. The right type of protein comes in jars with labels plastered with scientificy-sounding names. Who needs double-blind placebo controlled trials when you know someone who says "It works for me"?
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:19 am

ausrandoman wrote:
winstonw wrote: how much protein is required Clackers?
No, no, no Winston, you are missing the point. It's not just the amount that matters, it's the type. The right type of protein comes in jars with labels plastered with scientificy-sounding names. Who needs double-blind placebo controlled trials when you know someone who says "It works for me"?
:lol:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

clackers wrote:
winstonw wrote:

from that article:

"Generally, athletes enjoy the advantage of increased energy requirements that make it possible to consume even larger amounts of protein and other nutrients than the sedentary person. Numerous dietary surveys show that the dietary patterns reported by various groups of athletes provide protein intakes that are well in excess of 2.0 g/kg body mass per day - especially in the case of strength-training athletes. Therefore, there is little scientific justification for special high protein eating strategies for sport."

and

"There is no need for the amount of protein provided by many supplements and there is certainly no justification for the extra cost."

In other words, if you are doing moderate to high levels of exercise, you'll get your additional protein requirements from the additional food you eat over that of a sedentary person. We get a lot of olympic lifters, power lifters, cross fitters, and strong man competitors, through our clinic....many of them think they've got the edge because of their protein supps.......I have a little smurk with the weekly roll up of guys with brittle calcified avulsed biceps and rotator cuff tendons, who have no idea what caused them. though I am not complaining...keeps us rolling in the dollars.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm

winstonw wrote:
clackers wrote:
winstonw wrote:

from that article:

"Generally, athletes enjoy the advantage of increased energy requirements that make it possible to consume even larger amounts of protein and other nutrients than the sedentary person. Numerous dietary surveys show that the dietary patterns reported by various groups of athletes provide protein intakes that are well in excess of 2.0 g/kg body mass per day - especially in the case of strength-training athletes. Therefore, there is little scientific justification for special high protein eating strategies for sport."

and

"There is no need for the amount of protein provided by many supplements and there is certainly no justification for the extra cost."

In other words, if you are doing moderate to high levels of exercise, you'll get your additional protein requirements from the additional food you eat over that of a sedentary person. We get a lot of olympic lifters, power lifters, cross fitters, and strong man competitors, through our clinic....many of them think they've got the edge because of their protein supps.......I have a little smurk with the weekly roll up of guys with brittle calcified avulsed biceps and rotator cuff tendons, who have no idea what caused them. though I am not complaining...keeps us rolling in the dollars.
Exactly. Eat food. Your body is very, very good at digesting it and building your muscles for you as required.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 pm

winstonw wrote:
In other words, if you are doing moderate to high levels of exercise, you'll get your additional protein requirements from the additional food you eat over that of a sedentary person.
I would have thought it entirely depended on what the additional food was, Winston. :smile:

Footy players and pro cyclists have nutritionists to spell out their diets.

The ordinary Joe is in fact unwise to double his protein intake by doubling his previous food quantities.

There are smarter ways to do this than having two Four 'n' Twenty pies at half time or twelve nuggets instead of six at the KFC drive through.

This of course does not mean that he has to source the most expensive bucket of whey powder in town!