Tyre changes

Calvin27

Tyre changes

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello all,

A quick question - If I keep swapping tyres does this eventually damage the tyre? (i.e. weekend knobbys and slicks during weekdays). How many tyre changes is reasonable for a given tyre?

FYI not talking about 23c - more in the range of alternating between 35-37c and 2.1".

Also if two wheel sets are preferred. Do I have to adjust deraileurs and (disc) brakes each time or should they fit? (assuming same casette but different hubs).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Duck!
Expert

Re: Tyre changes

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Unless you've got an unusually tight tyre/rim combination (there are manufacturing variations on both fronts), you're unlikely to damage tyres through multiple changes.

Likewise, there can be a slight difference in lateral cassette alignment between different brand hubs, so there can be a need to tweak the derailleur to suit wheel changes some times. A simple way to be sure of perfect alignment would be to have two identical wheelsets, so there'll be no difference in cassette offset.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Tyres most definitely have a limited number of tyre change life in them. Unless otherwise stated this is usually 0.1% of the maximum number of revolutions allowable for a given tyre.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 pm

human909 wrote:Tyres most definitely have a limited number of tyre change life in them. Unless otherwise stated this is usually 0.1% of the maximum number of revolutions allowable for a given tyre.
I thought it was 316.

Seriously though, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to wear the bead out before the tread, unless you just change them to hang the bike on the wall.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Some years back I used to switch tyres routinely on my MTB between touring/commuting duties and trail-riding. The road tyres were quite tight at first. Repeated tyre changes just made them a little easier to get off, such that I did not need tyre levers and could do a hands-only change at will. There was never any concern about tyre safety or rolling off the rims.

If you have wire-bead tyres I really think you'd be very hard pressed to "wear out" the bead. Have you ever tried to remve bead from an old tyre ??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks all, new tyres and tubes on the way!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:37 am

with that number of changes a 2nd wheel set will make life easier
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 am

I did the tyre switch thing for a while, got it down to a bit of an art. leaving slightly inflated tubes in each tyres helped but I also ended up riding with knobblies on the commute a few times due to laziness/lack of time.

Only works well if your tyres are easy to get on/off. I had one cheap innova slick that was near impossible to get on and off, that tyre only got a few uses until I ended up with a dedicated commuter bike. Two bikes made it easy to decide to go bush on the morning commute with not adjustments other than tyre pressure check.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 pm

rjk wrote:with that number of changes a 2nd wheel set will make life easier
^ This.