So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

kukamunga

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby kukamunga » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Why can't those darned yanks talk in Metric! :evil:

I weighed a 24" wheeled kids Huffy Dual suspension MTB/BSO the other day - 17.6kg! My 138cm/30kg 9 year old son couldn't touch the ground with the seat at it's lowest position, and there was no standover clearance

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:45 pm

kukamunga wrote:Why can't those darned yanks talk in Metric! :evil:
Follow the comment thread down through the article. The original author posts a link to a Google spreadsheet where's he gone to the trouble of weighing each bit... in grams :D What with Steven Colbert & people like this, there might be hope for that country just yet ;)

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 pm

TTar wrote:
bendertiger wrote: Everything on the bike has started falling apart in the past week.

"Everything"? All in the same week?

I'm not singing the praises of this bike; it is after all a K Mart bike, but it's a step above the BSO's they typically stock.

Generic or low quality components would certainly be a big negative, but if your frame and wheels are sound, upgrading with say cannibalised parts, might still be a worthwhile exercise.

Even at a mere $150 for the brand new bike, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're capable and willing to service and maintain it yourself, a second-hand purchase would make an okay standby.
I push power... if I'm not grinding I'm not gaining. I eat most BSO's in -3 months

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 am

I bought a Preset yesterday for $20. If it wasn't for some slight marks on the braking surfaces I would have thought it was unridden :-)
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am

lemmiwinks wrote:I bought a Preset yesterday for $20. If it wasn't for some slight marks on the braking surfaces I would have thought it was unridden :-)
No way, sweet score!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm more amazed that they regularly show up on Gumtree in the $99-$150 range, used!

Can't go wrong for $20, give it a good once over and ride it till it dies.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm

cray- wrote:I'm more amazed that they regularly show up on Gumtree in the $99-$150 range, used!

Can't go wrong for $20, give it a good once over and ride it till it dies.

That reminds me, I never got around to posting on here that my Preset wasn't getting anywhere near as much use as I anticipated so I sold it quite some time back.
Believe it or not, it went for $155 :shock: . Yes it had been switched to drop bars and had Michelin tyres but those were both things I already had on hand, all I paid for was $15 bar tape. I still miss that bike a little though.

But I am now looking at another Big W bike with lustful eyes, still $98 but gears and drop bars on this one! (Just disregard the crazy bar angle in that photo :lol: ).

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote: But I am now looking at another Big W bike with lustful eyes, still $98 but gears and drop bars on this one! (Just disregard the crazy bar angle in that photo :lol: ).

Please don't. The preset is an example of how effective a cheap and simple bike is. The above is just a very poor attempt at being a reasonable bike. Every time one of those rolls out of a factory a decent bike dies.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm

...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Image
Eggs-actly

Saw one of those in the flesh at BigW the other day. Their display even had that wicked bar angle going on!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:53 pm

lobstermash wrote:Eggs-actly

Saw one of those in the flesh at BigW the other day. Their display even had that wicked bar angle going on!!!
Must be how they fit them in the box?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 am

That bar angle gives me nightmares!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:37 am

Summernight wrote:That bar angle gives me nightmares!
It fosters the correct head angle and shoulder geometry in the rider to afford a slightly more effective (from an injury POV) contact alignment with the road after they travel over the bars due to some unforeseen component failure...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
Summernight wrote:That bar angle gives me nightmares!
It fosters the correct head angle and shoulder geometry in the rider to afford a slightly more effective (from an injury POV) contact alignment with the road after they travel over the bars due to some unforeseen component failure...
That gives me nightmares too!!! :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:...due to some unforeseen component failure...
If you bought that bike, failure wouldn't be unforeseen. :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Nobody wrote:
Just a matter of which one first, they'll all go pretty quickly.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

I SOO need to buy this bike :D .

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I SOO need to buy this bike :D .
Dont forget to flip the bars over so it can have super high velosity, aeroplain inspired, wind cheatering tryatherlong handlesbar. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:23 am

Nobody wrote:
True. But as already pointed out...the exact moment of failure would be...and that would be 'exciting'.

Tell you what though...it does suggest that the tip finds of the future certainly won't be...especially since this seems to actually be a juniors bike...650B?

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:43 am

Well here it is, the $20 Gumtree Repco Preset:

Believe me, I know it's got a flat front tyre. Went to duck into town on it yesterday (first ride other than to the end of the driveway) and after futzing around adjusting things the valve stem broke so I took my old faithful Shogun. This morning I wanted to commute on it so I threw a mangy old 27" tube I had lying around in there but it was dodgy.

My original intention was to give it a once over, dump the bars, saddle and possibly wheels and cranks and make a nice drop bar single speed. I probably still will, but I might ride it for a while as is (must grease the tapers so the cranks don't fall off and while I'm at it I should pack the BB and loosen it off - it's tight!)

$20 is a steal (not literally - I see this dude selling a wide variety of stuff on Gumtree all the time), but I think the seller overestimated the hipster population content locally. When picking it up, the bloke said he was selling it for his mate and I asked if he was interested in riding or just thought he was going to be interested in riding but changed his mind and he said that his mate bought it to resell. Well that worked out well for him! :lol:

Gearing is crazy for around here (hilly) but would be OK on the flat. I'll see if I get used to it, otherwise Cyclingdeal Sugino 42T $50. I suppose one positive aspect of the tall gearing is that I didn't spend much time on that arse hatchet of a saddle!
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 am

Part to throw in the rubbish bin, in order:
1 - stem and handlebars
2 - tyres
3 - saddle

I am guessing that the pedals are worrying as well.

This covers tha major parts though am not expecting the rest to be top-of-the line .
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:32 pm

I actually found the saddle on mine quite comfortable and still have it on another bike. The tyres I put on a bike I built up for a workmate and he's ridden that for 3 or 4 months now with no worries. I agree on the stem and handlebars though, and the pedals on mine barely spun straight out of the box, I never bothered to try adjusting them just threw on another pair I had.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 am

Backdoorboss wrote: The only thing that bothered me was the saddle that the bike came with. It felt like my bum was bleeding after the ride. It was so sore that sitting down would hurt.
:D
Last edited by Davidrnau on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davidrnau

Postby Davidrnau » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:04 pm

bychosis wrote: Please don't. The preset is an example of how effective a cheap and simple bike is. The above is just a very poor attempt at being a reasonable bike. Every time one of those rolls out of a factory a decent bike dies.
:lol:

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:18 am

ldrcycles wrote: But I am now looking at another Big W bike with lustful eyes, still $98 but gears and drop bars on this one! (Just disregard the crazy bar angle in that photo :lol: ).
Saw my first one in the Wild...just last week. Exactly as pictured. Right down to the brake lever position.

It is a revitalised roadie from my youth but with even less redeeming features. The quill stem is steel with a hollow tube acting as a potential bollocks scoop during those OTB moments...aided and abetted by the stem mounted shifters. The bloke riding it was doing so more by necessity than for enjoyment so despite the fact the bike isn't much chop at least it was doing what it was intended to do.

But I can't help wondering if that frame 'might' have some potential...certainly as a future retro Fakinarello or Fakolnago