What does the TdF mean to you?

g-boaf

Re: What does the TdF mean to you?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm

They are pretty awesome - some of those rides have got to hurt, yet half way through a stage, two riders of different teams are having a conversation at 50km/h, smiling and laughing. 8) Certainly don't see that in a lot of other sports.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Either you get it or you don't.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:31 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:Either you get it or you don't.
Well that may be the case - but the final half hour of last night's time-trial stage must rate as the sporting highlight (so far) of 2013.

Even my sleepyhead non-cyclist partner (who fell asleep in front of the Origin decider) woke up for the SBS stage coverage and was mesmerized by the contest between Froome, Contador, Kreuzinger and Rodriguez.
And the French scenery helps too.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am

elantra wrote: - but the final half hour of last night's time-trial stage must rate as the sporting highlight (so far) of 2013...
Update! Last night's coverage of Stage 18 was, IMHO, the TV sporting highlight (so far) of 2013. :D

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I think it put an end to the ideas that Froome is on PEDS. Man was he was deep into the hurt box.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm

duds2u wrote:I think it put an end to the ideas that Froome is on PEDS. Man was he was deep into the hurt box.
It doesn't. Bonking out and PED use are not directly related. PED is about peak performance but can be negated by poor energy management on the day.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Last night pretty much summed up the TDF in a nutshell for me. The rolling scenery is amazing, the challenges are insane, and the key guys - in essence - trying to out gun and out-wit each other in equal measure for small margins.

Of course it's hell dissapointing to find out about PED's, and its made it harder to admire someone who really is a cut above the others putting the hammer down because you get suspicious. But watching guys dig deep - bonking or finding that little bit more - is intriguing.

Of course each stage is different and the value varies. Some of tha pan-flat sprint stages are quite boring and the outcome is always the same. It goes down to 1 of 3.5 guys (Cav, Greipel or Kittel - Sagan as .5) and Matthew Goss no where to be seen..

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm

duds2u wrote:I think it put an end to the ideas that Froome is on PEDS. Man was he was deep into the hurt box.
Probably cost Froome just over a minute which would have been a sub-40 minute ascent of Alpe d'Huez which is a rough cut off point for suspicious performances. So he wasn't "deep into the hurt box" and we can't forget the suspicious performance on AX-3, Ventoux and the first ITT.

Froome's real bonk on Alpe d'Huez was in 2008 when he did the climb in 51 minutes 13 seconds.

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Not that much this year, yeah, I still follow it but more for the scenery. I made the mistake of reading Walsh's book in June and accidentally broke my rose-colored glasses. I'm sure a bunch of the guys are still using and obviously UK Postal. That saddens me, that the UCI and ASO don't clean up the sport is causing my interest to decline. I think there is way too much marketing around the event and this decreases the likelihood that any real PED change will occur, after all the event was initially started AS a marketing event. Also, cyclist's have always cheated so maybe I just need to accept this, put on my Discovery Jersey and enjoy the race. I still love riding my bike, I just don't pretend I'm riding up the Alpe with people spitting and throwing urine on me anymore.

Davobel

Postby Davobel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Have you watched any of the past 18 TDF's? Only 3 guys that stood on the top step of the podium in Paris have not either admitted to using or been convicted of using PED's and ALL of them (except Wiggo) were very seriously put in the hurt at some time during the race. Using PED's doesn't mean you won't go into the hurt, it just means the hurt comes at a higher wattage output.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Davobel wrote:I just don't pretend I'm riding up the Alpe with people spitting and throwing urine on me anymore.
Well sometimes you don't have to pretend. I'm sure there are people out there that want to spit on you as you're riding along. :P

Someone tried to spit on me many years ago in Perth.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Most of the riders are on full carbon wheels, including in the mountain stages. I'm wondering if they ever have any issues with the wheels overheating and failing on these very fast and long descents. We, the general public are constantly warned of the dangers of carbon wheels failing while braking on steep long hills but it never seems to be an issue for these guys.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Arlberg wrote:Most of the riders are on full carbon wheels, including in the mountain stages. I'm wondering if they ever have any issues with the wheels overheating and failing on these very fast and long descents. We, the general public are constantly warned of the dangers of carbon wheels failing while braking on steep long hills but it never seems to be an issue for these guys.
Unlike the general public who have to stop for traffic signs/lights etc, the pros have a closed road and use all of it. They aren't trying, or need to control their speed much so I can see why they don't have a heating problem compared with the average user.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:54 pm

They are all on tubular wheels... Not the silly thin carbon clinchers.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 pm

also at the end of the day, they can throw their wheels away and grab another set...
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 pm

citywomble wrote:Personally - nothing.

Nobody said:
Holistically, I believe it's a negative for cycling in general. It says to the public that anyone that wears spandex/Lycra is a TdF/racing wannabe. It (and the UCI) has too much influence on the design and type of bikes that people buy. Or want to buy.
Words of wisdom.

The TdF is about racing machines by professional drivers (riders) on public roads - when they are closed. Then amateur riders buy the same machines and drive them on public roads - when they are open.

Imagine the carnage if there was a TdF rally for cars and those same racing cars were then sold in car shops for amateur drivers to drive and race or time trial on our normal roads.

To me cycling and the future of cycling needs to be normalised for Pedestrians to ride Bike Shaped Objects. That's what bikes used to be thats what they need to be in the future. Keep TdF cycling for closed roads and dedicated bike tracks.

I am a POBSO and proud to be one. I ride recreationally for pleasure, gentle exercise and for short trips where convenient.
With respect, I think it may be the other way around. Normal cyclists don't ride UCI bikes made for pros - the UCI makes pros ride bikes made for normal cyclists. The UCI bikes are dramatically slower than the bikes that the pros could ride, because the UCI (very intelligently IMHO) imposes strict restrictions on them to make them fairly user-friendly.

I notice these days that every shop I go into steers newcomers into hybrid bikes are would be banned by the UCI. That IS normalisation of BSOs.

If you ride recreationally for gentle exercise and short trips where convenient that's great. And yes, sometimes marketing can get people to buy inappropriate gear. But for some of us, who ride for work, for strenuous exercise and for longer trips even when it is not convenient, a different style of bike is appropriate.

I don't see why I should be condemned to arrive at work or at the shops sweatier, slower and more tired yet bored by riding a less efficient bike or a more cumbersome one, in order to prove that I am not a tool of the UCI.

The normal performance bike (which was not created by the UCI but by evolution) is excellent for our purposes. It's fast enough, simple and controllable.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

Chris249 wrote:With respect, I think it may be the other way around. Normal cyclists don't ride UCI bikes made for pros - the UCI makes pros ride bikes made for normal cyclists. The UCI bikes are dramatically slower than the bikes that the pros could ride, because the UCI (very intelligently IMHO) imposes strict restrictions on them to make them fairly user-friendly.
My understanding is the UCI made restrictions so bikes would look like normal bikes and not lose touch with the general populace.
Chris249 wrote:I notice these days that every shop I go into steers newcomers into hybrid bikes are would be banned by the UCI. That IS normalisation of BSOs.
The sentence isn't very clear. Are you saying that hybrids are, or would be banned by the UCI? If so why? As far as I can tell they have 700C wheels, standard diamond frame, are within the 3:1 aero tube ratio and are above 6.8Kg. What have I missed?
Hybrids bought from bike shops aren't BSOs last time I checked. Also for the vast majority of the general (non enthusiast cyclist) population who just want to short distance recreational ride, a hybrid is probably still a good choice. I bought one for my wife and made it even more comfortable and slower, which she likes.
Chris249 wrote:If you ride recreationally for gentle exercise and short trips where convenient that's great. And yes, sometimes marketing can get people to buy inappropriate gear. But for some of us, who ride for work, for strenuous exercise and for longer trips even when it is not convenient, a different style of bike is appropriate.
My point was the TdF is a bicycle manufacturers' marketing tool. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Due to this many end up on bikes which are less durable that is ideal for their purpose. This of course keeps the manufacturers ticking over with more frequent equipment replacements than would be the case if more durable equipment was chosen.
Chris249 wrote:I don't see why I should be condemned to arrive at work or at the shops sweatier, slower and more tired yet bored by riding a less efficient bike or a more cumbersome one, in order to prove that I am not a tool of the UCI.
I can't see anyone limiting your choices other than what you are allowed to race with (blame the UCI) and what is available to buy.
Chris249 wrote:The normal performance bike (which was not created by the UCI but by evolution) is excellent for our purposes. It's fast enough, simple and controllable.
But isn't one of your bikes a TT bike?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aQJB_bWA4c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :P

ausmomo

Postby ausmomo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm

It means I get to watch some amazing footage of the French countryside, that is somewhat interrupted by a bunch of extremely talented, drugged-to-the-eyeballs, cyclists.
The latter bothers me, a lot, but I've come to the sad conclusion that it's unstoppable. We should still fight it, though.