Advice for beginner for performance, confidence etc.

casual_cyclist

Re: Advice for beginner for performance, confidence etc.

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:i know there are some good people out there. One time i had a flat tyre on the time trial bike... (yes all kitted up etc)...

there were approx 10 road bike riders that just rode past. when i was changing the tube....some glanced at the flash bike... some pretended not to look but was looking at the corner of the eye.
It is not fair for you to make assumptions about people who choose to stop or do not choose to stop to help you when you get a flat. When I commute I never take a spare tube, cash, phone, pump, patch, tyre levers, co2 or any other thing that could help another cyclist if they have a flat. So when I see a cyclist with a flat I never stop to help them because I don't have anything to help them with. That does not mean that I am a <language>. I also don't judge other cyclists if I get a flat because I don't know what their circumstances are.
Not everything is fair in this world right?

sure, you dont carry extra tubes, c02, patches, water for anyone. But my point was... there are GOOD samaritans that stop, and the 1 guy who actually wanted, to help and the woman that asked.. i can guarantee you that they did not carry spares for me.

sure, you are not OBLIGATED to stop... NOR are you OBLIGATED to stop to see if a person is hurt in a car accident or mounted the kerb and into someones fence, Nor obligated to ask if a woman who locked her keys in the car and needs to make a phone call, if she needs assistance.
I think you misundersood my post. It's not that I am not carrying extra spares for anyone, what I mean is that I don't have anything of use, no tubes, no tyre levers, no patches, no water, nothing of use to help someone with. I would actually be wasting their time if I stopped :lol:. Assuming that a person who doesn't stop is 'bad' is just plain rude. I also find it ridiculous to compare someone with a flat tyre to someone hurt is a car accident. These things are not comparable.
<removed by request>

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Not everything is fair in this world right?

sure, you dont carry extra tubes, c02, patches, water for anyone. But my point was... there are GOOD samaritans that stop, and the 1 guy who actually wanted, to help and the woman that asked.. i can guarantee you that they did not carry spares for me.

sure, you are not OBLIGATED to stop... NOR are you OBLIGATED to stop to see if a person is hurt in a car accident or mounted the kerb and into someones fence, Nor obligated to ask if a woman who locked her keys in the car and needs to make a phone call, if she needs assistance.[/quote]
I think you misundersood my post. It's not that I am not carrying extra spares for anyone, what I mean is that I don't have anything of use, no tubes, no tyre levers, no patches, no water, nothing of use to help someone with. I would actually be wasting their time if I stopped :lol:. Assuming that a person who doesn't stop is 'bad' is just plain rude. I also find it ridiculous to compare someone with a flat tyre to someone hurt is a car accident. These things are not comparable.[/quote]

Mr.Bananaman....
did i ever say the word "B _ A _ D".. i don't see it.
looks like you misunderstood........... my post.

They arent comparable... but what if someone needed to use a phone?

asking someone if they need assistance when they locked their keys in the car for e.g ... what... its not like you carry a pinch bar on you whilst your shopping at myers are you... or have a set of clothes hook to 'jimmy' through the window...

.. but like i said, we are not obligated to do anything for anyone else.. whether it be jump starting someones car or calling NRMA for someone..

it just seperates the GOOD SAMARITANS from the "BANANAMEN"

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote: Not everything is fair in this world right?

sure, you are not OBLIGATED to stop... NOR are you OBLIGATED to stop to see if a person is hurt in a car accident or mounted the kerb and into someones fence, Nor obligated to ask if a woman who locked her keys in the car and needs to make a phone call, if she needs assistance.
I think you misundersood my post. It's not that I am not carrying extra spares for anyone, what I mean is that I don't have anything of use, no tubes, no tyre levers, no patches, no water, nothing of use to help someone with. I would actually be wasting their time if I stopped :lol:. Assuming that a person who doesn't stop is 'bad' is just plain rude. I also find it ridiculous to compare someone with a flat tyre to someone hurt is a car accident. These things are not comparable.
Mr.Bananaman....
did i ever say the word "B _ A _ D".. i don't see it.
looks like you misunderstood........... my post.
They arent comparable... but what if someone needed to use a phone?
Since I don't carry a phone, it would be pointless to stop for someone who needs a phone. Me: person in trouble, can I help you? Them: sure, can I use your phone? Me: sorry, don't have one. Them: then what did you stop for? :lol:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:asking someone if they need assistance when they locked their keys in the car for e.g ... what... its not like you carry a pinch bar on you whilst your shopping at myers are you... or have a set of clothes hook to 'jimmy' through the window...

.. but like i said, we are not obligated to do anything for anyone else.. whether it be jump starting someones car or calling NRMA for someone..

it just seperates the GOOD SAMARITANS from the "BANANAMEN"
I didn't say I never stop to help anyone, I said that I don't stop if I can't help. When I can help, I stop and help. And I don't think bananaman would appreciate your implication that he's not a GOOD Samaritan. If he reads this and responds you will get to find out what it REALLY feels like to be trolled. :lol:
<removed by request>

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Last edited by DoubleSpeeded on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:

whatever makes you, Eric... sleep better at nights... to be Bananaman the next day... and have the strength of 20 big ones....thats all that matters

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
whatever makes you, Eric... sleep better at nights... to be Bananaman the next day... and have the strength of 20 big ones....thats all that matters
Na mate. You are getting me mixed up with someone else. I called the person who overtook you on an old steel bike bananaman. When I ride, I am the one who gets overtaken, I don't overtake anyone, so I'm not bananaman. Get it? :wink:

Maybe you are just not eating enough bananas? Someone else on this forum eats...
Up to 70 organic bananas a day...
No joke! viewtopic.php?f=49&t=63682&p=972592#p966534
<removed by request>

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
LOL ?!
but looks like he took the pic in Eric form... from 29 Arcacia Road

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
LOL ?!
but looks like he took the pic in Eric form... from 29 Arcacia Road
:wink:
<removed by request>

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:23 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Someone else on this forum eats...
Up to 70 organic bananas a day...

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 pm

[mod]A one day ban has been issued for bad language, this is a family forum please use smarter ways to communicate[/mod]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 am

Sorry...I couldn't resist:

FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Not uncommon to do a shakedown ride including race wheels etc prior to a major race...

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Sorry...I couldn't resist:

That has got to be one of the ugliest helmet on the market. Sorry specialized fans

Dunno if you noticed, But it appears the helmet looks photoshopped. The contrast between the helmet and his upper back appears to look outa place

Try this pic.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm

dalai47 wrote:Not uncommon to do a shakedown ride including race wheels etc prior to a major race...
What do u mean ?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Most people including triathletes do not use their race wheels, aero helmet etc when just training. But prior to a race will do one ride with the race wheels and aero helmet.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:52 pm

dalai47 wrote:Most people including triathletes do not use their race wheels, aero helmet etc when just training. But prior to a race will do one ride with the race wheels and aero helmet.
well im assuming every single person in this TT section enters races and competes in competitions?

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 am

I do

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:11 am

In regards to fitness training...Does any timetrialist incorporate heavy weight training to support thier cycling performance?

E.g Leg-press, squats, calves, hamstring work outs at the gym?

Because looking at these pro TT racers they seriously have very funny/awkward looking bodies.

Big calves, very large quad & hamstrings (not larger than body builders) but very skinny shoulders and as.
Seems like they must do weight training or is that just simply from riding alone?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:48 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:im assuming every single person in this TT section enters races and competes in competitions?
Of course. Wouldn't own a TT bike otherwise. Road bikes are far more versatile bike...

As to Weights - it is a waste of time unless you are an older athlete (to combat age related loss of muscle mass - this is a for general health not racing) or a sprinter.

You have already mentioned you are time poor - more time needs to be spent riding and not wasted pushing weights!

Seriously recommend you spend a bit of time or in your local library looking into basic training methodology...

sb944

Postby sb944 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't mind the idea of using your full setup on the M7, you have to practice with your full gear somewhere. Get an account on strava, upload your garmin data, and you will see the M7 has many time trial segments, so you get a leaderboard to judge your efforts on. Strava segments are very powerful and simple tools for driving improvment, you'll soon find yourself wanting to get better and better times.

You will need to do some riding during the week though. If you want to be an enthusiast, you just have to get up really early some mornings, and hit some hills. As a pretty good start I'd say Tuesday/Thursday mornings, then head to the M7 Saturday. Maybe head to Bobbins Head, warm up, then ride up it as quick as possible 3-4 times, then cruise back down very slowly giving you time to recover. There are strava segments there too, so it's easy to track how you are going. Pick some smaller hills too, but the overall idea is to go harder than you normally go, but for shorter periods, then recover. A great way to build up your legs and lungs. If you really are serious, get a power meter and/or a trainer, and get a proper power meter training plan. It's really not hard to find the time to improve quickly, as long as you are dedicated.

My best advice though, is you need to get to the Calga TT races, first Sunday of every month, get there early enough and you'll be home by 10:00am, so not a huge drain on the family. There are some insanely quick riders there, but nobody is judging whether you are capable of a top 3 finish or not, and nobody is judging your bike, as yours will only be on par with many others there. I'd suggest the 25km course first, as it's a bit hilly, and each month, try to get a PB, which will be rewarded with free entry the following month. This is much better than worrying about what others are doing on bike paths, has no real corners, and you can get some great speeds going. Next race should be Sunday week, I'd be there but I'll be interstate that weekend. If you are still serious about this in September, I'd be happy to say hello then. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Also, you need to relax a bit on the M7. It's OK to vent about some of these situations, but you can't change other people, so the choices you have are all on you now. You can stop riding there, or maybe stop riding the attention drawing bike, or I'd suggest to just get on with what you are doing and not worry about what others are doing.

Instead of worrying about writing what others are doing, I think most here would enjoy hearing about your TT progress. Good luck.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:35 pm

sb944 wrote:I don't mind the idea of using your full setup on the M7, you have to practice with your full gear somewhere. Get an account on strava, upload your garmin data, and you will see the M7 has many time trial segments, so you get a leaderboard to judge your efforts on. Strava segments are very powerful and simple tools for driving improvment, you'll soon find yourself wanting to get better and better times.

You will need to do some riding during the week though. If you want to be an enthusiast, you just have to get up really early some mornings, and hit some hills. As a pretty good start I'd say Tuesday/Thursday mornings, then head to the M7 Saturday. Maybe head to Bobbins Head, warm up, then ride up it as quick as possible 3-4 times, then cruise back down very slowly giving you time to recover. There are strava segments there too, so it's easy to track how you are going. Pick some smaller hills too, but the overall idea is to go harder than you normally go, but for shorter periods, then recover. A great way to build up your legs and lungs. If you really are serious, get a power meter and/or a trainer, and get a proper power meter training plan. It's really not hard to find the time to improve quickly, as long as you are dedicated.

My best advice though, is you need to get to the Calga TT races, first Sunday of every month, get there early enough and you'll be home by 10:00am, so not a huge drain on the family. There are some insanely quick riders there, but nobody is judging whether you are capable of a top 3 finish or not, and nobody is judging your bike, as yours will only be on par with many others there. I'd suggest the 25km course first, as it's a bit hilly, and each month, try to get a PB, which will be rewarded with free entry the following month. This is much better than worrying about what others are doing on bike paths, has no real corners, and you can get some great speeds going. Next race should be Sunday week, I'd be there but I'll be interstate that weekend. If you are still serious about this in September, I'd be happy to say hello then. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Also, you need to relax a bit on the M7. It's OK to vent about some of these situations, but you can't change other people, so the choices you have are all on you now. You can stop riding there, or maybe stop riding the attention drawing bike, or I'd suggest to just get on with what you are doing and not worry about what others are doing.

Instead of worrying about writing what others are doing, I think most here would enjoy hearing about your TT progress. Good luck.

Hi there

That is very helpful input
yes im definitely tackling some hills... theres a nasty one down the road from my house.

well I don't think aero wheels or disc should be a big deal. and it should be something that needs getting used to.
especially the aero helmet.. it gets really hot and sweaty. The KASK Bambino TT is the one I have... each time I take it off... a waterfall of sweat falls from the forehead part.. (its extremely poorly ventilated) and The lense fogs up worse than your car window.
So each time I find im trying to get used to it.

The m7 is great, I enjoy it. It was closed majority of the m7 last Sunday when I took the Hybrid MTb there. (yes, plenty of arrogance with road bikers with thier noses up high .. was noticeable... ) Ive thought it though.. im over them... in future im just gonna ignore everyone else.

I have noticed that the MTB in comparison is brilliant up hills due to its gearing.. no sweat..

and as I mentioned, the 53/43 170mm crank I find I very tough to ride...

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 am

Good work, keep it going.

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm

sb944 wrote:I don't mind the idea of using your full setup on the M7, you have to practice with your full gear somewhere. Get an account on strava, upload your garmin data, and you will see the M7 has many time trial segments, so you get a leaderboard to judge your efforts on. Strava segments are very powerful and simple tools for driving improvment, you'll soon find yourself wanting to get better and better times.

The M7 bikepath is pretty good for TT efforts. I used to do regular runs from Hoxton Park out to the equestrian centre and back. This section avoids all the underpasses and sharp turns. There's a few decent hills to make it interesting.

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Chookman wrote:

The M7 bikepath is pretty good for TT efforts. I used to do regular runs from Hoxton Park out to the equestrian centre and back. This section avoids all the underpasses and sharp turns. There's a few decent hills to make it interesting.
yes, i hate the underpasses...
especially when people cut across taking up both lanes.

my only option is Bella Vista/Norwest to about The Horsely Drive. And coming back towards Bella Vista is a pain with the hills and im running on empty.
but yeah, continuing to practice.

i might slow it down to a lower speed and keep it more consistent..trying a different technique... may help overall performance.