2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

InTheWoods

Re: 2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm

thomashouseman wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
TMjpn wrote:Thats a bit slower than usual - might need to re-grease the chain and gives the tyres a bit more PSI.
Make sure you use the special low friction gas that the bike comes with...

And don't put grease near that chain. Paraffin wax only for this bike.
Actually I think if you're going that fast you need nitrogen in the tyres don't you?
Not just any old nitrogen though. This is special ShÏmâno low friction nitrogen that you only get on pro bikes.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Something else that is odd... http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-per ... 1023946941

lolz at "the Giro Infinity will cross the finish line first" ... only if you pedal fast enough :lol:

Now, the odd bit:
"Its light weight design minimizes drag" "Frame Material: Steel" "Weight: 16.5kgs"
"and the its steel wheels offer the ultimate rigidity" "Rim Material: Aluminium"

The photos do not look like photos of a steel frame bike...
Wow, I didn't think they still made 6-speed freewheel rigs, nor did anyone fit those suicide brake levers anymore (I had those on my Repco 10-speed in 1987!).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I saw a few of these in boxes at Big W this arvo, has the same crazy bar angle as the Giro. And $98 :shock: *

http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/b ... 700c-racer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Plus $16.50 for assembly, we wouldn't want to upset jennay by using a false analogy now, would we? :)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 pm

queequeg wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Something else that is odd... http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-per ... 1023946941

lolz at "the Giro Infinity will cross the finish line first" ... only if you pedal fast enough :lol:

Now, the odd bit:
"Its light weight design minimizes drag" "Frame Material: Steel" "Weight: 16.5kgs"
"and the its steel wheels offer the ultimate rigidity" "Rim Material: Aluminium"

Wow, I didn't think they still made 6-speed freewheel rigs, nor did anyone fit those suicide brake levers anymore (I had those on my Repco 10-speed in 1987!).
Suicide brake levers? Sounds dangerous, what's wrong with them? I'm just asking out of interest. BTW, are those gumwall tyres that it comes with?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:24 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote:
queequeg wrote:

Now, the odd bit:

Suicide brake levers? Sounds dangerous, what's wrong with them? I'm just asking out of interest. BTW, are those gumwall tyres that it comes with?
They are levers that simply have a catch that pulls the main levers, so they don't actually pull the cable directly.
If you have ever tried to use them when going down a hill, you'll find that actuating the lever is more of a suggestion that you'd like to slow down. Combined with steel rims, the only time you would use them is if you were suicidal!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I saw a few of these in boxes at Big W this arvo, has the same crazy bar angle as the Giro. And $98 :shock:
With a name like "Hyper" it must be really fast. Although it might be difficult to get my hands onto the hoods. Also it might have a problem with the frame being pulled apart as the front is red and the back is white. Now everyone knows that red goes faster, so won't the red part try to pull away from the white part at speed? :D

ldrcycles wrote:*Plus $16.50 for assembly, we wouldn't want to upset jennay by using a false analogy now, would we? :)
From the look of the photo, you get what you pay for. :shock:

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 pm

queequeg wrote: They are levers that simply have a catch that pulls the main levers, so they don't actually pull the cable directly.
If you have ever tried to use them when going down a hill, you'll find that actuating the lever is more of a suggestion that you'd like to slow down. Combined with steel rims, the only time you would use them is if you were suicidal!
Haha, ah, so they're the levers on my old bus. Yeah I'll agree, if you pull those things it's more like asking the bike it if would possibly, sometime within the next 10 years, consider slowing down if you're on any sort of grade, let alone a serious one. :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:16 am

Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:48 am

AUbicycles wrote:Image
she's a good egg

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:55 am

Photo of the year!

That chick has its beak angled too high.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just spat iced coffee on me paper...
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Just when you thought it was safe to get back on Gumtree;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1023995513
Sent from my fortified compound

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:16 pm

* The bike has a durable ergónomic bódy cell, easy to handle and comfortable to sit on
* Reliable Shimanó techology ensures every ride and trek is a fun Shimanó journey for you
* 18-speed full mountain power makes it very easy to go uphill in city streets or the mountains
* Carries eggs beautifully with no problems when I have time to ride carrying eggs.

They're getting better. I'd buy that.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Exhaustive investigations have revealed this most recent engineering marvel from our friend is most likely a "Southern Star 66cm (26") Bella Vista" available brand new from K-mart for $79 without the stickers removed;

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/souther ... ike/115018

Or from another gumtree seller for $60;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/binningu ... 1021554209

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 pm

TTar wrote:Just when you thought it was safe to get back on Gumtree;

Now with enhanced word accent technology!

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:* The bike has a durable ergónomic bódy cell, easy to handle and comfortable to sit on
* Reliable Shimanó techology ensures every ride and trek is a fun Shimanó journey for you
* 18-speed full mountain power makes it very easy to go uphill in city streets or the mountains
* Carries eggs beautifully with no problems when I have time to ride carrying eggs.
* Enhanced super intestinal peristaltic action powers up the expulsion of secret-menu zero-viscosity fecal matter from my high durability sphincter.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:21 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Photo of the year!
That chick has its beak angled too high.
Not enough lense flare on the chicken.
<removed by request>

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 pm

TTar wrote:Exhaustive investigations have revealed this most recent engineering marvel from our friend is most likely a "Southern Star 66cm (26") Bella Vista" available brand new from K-mart for $79 without the stickers removed;

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/souther ... ike/115018

Or from another gumtree seller for $60;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/binningu ... 1021554209
Yeeeeah, but this one has giant alloy claws included!

Just so it stays here after it inevitably gets removed, here is the blurb:
Update: $180 only for quick pickup, running out of time, if you make an effort, get yourself a great bike at this low price before someone else does...

- - - - - - - - - -

This stylish bicycle is suitable for daily commuting in the city, yet it is a certified high performance bike with full mountain power. With this bike, you are ready to take on hilly city streets, beaches, country riding, mountain biking and all that. This Shimanó Vistâ would open new windows to your life, go more places, be more spontaneous and save your transport money for other important things.

* A versatile adjustable bike, decent 26" adult size, suitable for a man or a woman
* The bike has a durable ergónomic bódy cell, easy to handle and comfortable to sit on

* Less than two months new, rarely have time to use, still in its original gift condition
* It's very well tuned up, I love it whenever I find time to ride it, it's better than new in a way as the only thing you need to do is to ride it
* Dual linear v-brakes with sure-stop power delivered by the giant alloy claws, you can go fast with full confidence
* The latest soft micro gripshift, safer, easier, twist and go, putting more steering control in your hands.
* With country road double suspensions, your rides are so smooth, you can no longer go back to your old bike

Wish I have more time to use it. In short, looks new, runs perfectly, and it's Shimanó multi-speed, a great bike at $280 low price to save time, I can reply to you quicker if you have a mobile phone.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:25 pm

TTar wrote:Just when you thought it was safe to get back on Gumtree;
From the ad, which one of these things is not like the others?
Shimanó Vistâ Multi-speed City Bicycle, Daily or Weekend Mountain $180.00
Update: $180 only for quick pickup, running out of time, if you make an effort, get yourself a great bike at this low price before someone else does...
Wish I have more time to use it. In short, looks new, runs perfectly, and it's Shimanó multi-speed, a great bike at $280 low price to save time, I can reply to you quicker if you have a mobile phone.
Apparently also mobiles are quicker than a land line.
<removed by request>

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Khan is so evil, he scares lens flare away.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:23 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:
Yeeeeah, but this one has giant alloy claws included!
Haha that's the thing that stood out for me too, surely that's a feature only found on advanced bikes :lol: .

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Awww its gone already! I didn't even get to admire the lens flare this time.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Awww, I missed lens flare too. I so am in need of a bike with full mountain power, *sigh* I guess I'll have to wait for the next ad. Those giant alloy claws are probably an engineering requirement because of the speediness of the bike.

On the upside, it's no wonder they put 'running out of time' in the ad, it's good to see that GumTree are serious about dodgy sellers.

and I actually wonder if they've ever managed to sell a bike....

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Yay, it's back!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1023999189

Anyone see if if they can identify the locale as well. I think it might be Mrs Macquaries Chair overlooking Botanic gardens or domain? And who's the jogger? Someone here might know him!

I'm thinking of compiling a map so we can go on fun rides (maybe with the devastated young lady) to these famous vistas. So far I've ID'd Darling Harbour and Hyde Park in other ads.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I've got it, jennay is organising a Sydney Grand Fondle, the clue was Devastated Girl being Devastated about missing the fun ride, and all the photos in the scams um I mean 'ads' are checkpoints along the route! She/He/It/They is/are a genius!

EDIT: given a few hours and the cached listings I think I can decipher the rest of jennay's brilliant hidden clues.