Moving to melbourne

iaintas

Moving to melbourne

Postby iaintas » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Looks like im moving to melbourne! now the question is single speed commuter or build up a cheapish ribble bike with SRAM rival for commuting. Im certainly looking forward to getting into some more road and crit racing and CX racing is on the cards also. Anyway excited to go to the city of great coffee and the brunswick street vege cafe with the best chocolate cake in the world. :D

Dimis

Re: Moving to melbourne

Postby Dimis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 am

Welcome... I hope you enjoy your stay.
I'm biased, but I love the joint.
It's not ranked in the top 5 worlds most livable cities for nuthin' :lol:

My feeling is that a single speed fixie will fit right in if you are around Brunswick or the other coffee sipping central locals around town.
But my personal preference would be for a roadie with some gears... :)

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 pm

Not sure were we are going to live yet, we have a dog so mid city probably is not an option, maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred so hopefully all comes together, looking forward to having more racing options and getting into some Cyclocross racing too. Im not really a big city person in general, but i do love Melbourne.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

iaintas wrote:Not sure were we are going to live yet, we have a dog so mid city probably is not an option, maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred so hopefully all comes together, looking forward to having more racing options and getting into some Cyclocross racing too. Im not really a big city person in general, but i do love Melbourne.
If you move to Belgrave, I hope you like your climbing :) Plenty of hills around here

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am

Mid city isn't too much of a problem if you research and choose a place with parks nearby - eg. if there is something suitable in your price range around Yarra Bend/Studley Park it is a great park and I see lots of dogs being walked in there (not to mention the Main Yarra Trail runs through it and there are some sections you could use for cyclocross).

Fawkner Park or Albert Park are also big parks (and closer to the Alfred) although you may be looking at more expensive prices and I don't believe bike riding is encouraged in those parks.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 am

^ You're allowed to ride through Fawkner Park, but there are still many people who walk their dogs off-leash when it isn't permitted, so you have to watch out for that.
iaintas wrote:maybe preston area, although i would love to live in Belgrave the wife is trying to get work at the Mercy and I have gone for a Job at the Alfred
:shock: Belgrave is a nice place, but pretty far from the Alfred and the Mercy... Commuting that far on a daily basis would certainly test your mettle!

In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am

rkelsen wrote:In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.
+1

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 am

Summernight wrote:
rkelsen wrote:In terms of price/convenience, I'd probably look somewhere between Pascoe Vale and Fairfield. The blocks are reasonable sizes and better value than most property south of the Yarra river, while being within reasonable distance of your workplaces.
+1
And there's the Moonee Ponds Creek, Merry Creek and Darebin Creek for dog walking.

We moved to Coburg for that reason; decent sized blocks with a bit of a yard for the dog, dog walking areas, and distance to work (I'm at St Vincent's, my Wife's at the Austin; The Alfred is a fair trek from here though).

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 pm

yeah i would be pretty happy with a 40-45km round trip commute, but the +1 would drive, she is can work at the Mercy and Womens and Monash hospitals so it limits it to the eastern side of the city a bit. Im going to Alfred or stay at home dad!

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:42 pm

wow that was badly written!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Isn't Melbourne quite flat so it suits riding a fixie? In contrast, I see the hipsters on their fixies in Sydney dying on the many hills.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 pm

VRE wrote:I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.
Apologies for the OT post.. how do you usually get to Warburton? I've gone via Gembrook but it means 180km return (from Blackburn). Also returned via the Warburton Hwy on Sunday but wasn't thrilled with it trafficwise.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:21 pm

kb wrote:
VRE wrote:I've been in Ringwood North since Nov 2011 and have enjoyed it. My round-trip commute is 60.5km daily, but I'm used to it. It's an ideal location for starting hill-climbing rides, being <15km from Mt Dandenong, 45km from Kinglake Central and 57km from Warburton :) , so naturally I've ridden to those 3 places on numerous occasions.
Apologies for the OT post.. how do you usually get to Warburton? I've gone via Gembrook but it means 180km return (from Blackburn). Also returned via the Warburton Hwy on Sunday but wasn't thrilled with it trafficwise.
Via Maroondah Hwy to Lilydale, then the Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail, so 40 of the 57km is off-road (and very tranquil and relaxing). Road bikes can be used on the trail, provided you're prepared to get them a bit dusty.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:27 am

biker jk wrote:Isn't Melbourne quite flat so it suits riding a fixie? In contrast, I see the hipsters on their fixies in Sydney dying on the many hills.
CBD and most of the inner/west is, out east things start getting vertical.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am

I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 am

It's a about 300m gain over 18km (85m net) for my flattest route home. Not a lot but not pancake flat.

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

kb wrote:It's a about 300m gain over 18km (85m net) for my flattest route home. Not a lot but not pancake flat.
My commute to work averages about 300-350m climbing and to home averages about 600-650m, so as Mulger Bill said: "out east things start getting vertical".

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm

jamesn184 wrote:I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs
To the CBD? What sorta time do you make?
I've got a workmate from Burnside and I'm sick enough of his whinging about being stuck in traffic to tell him he'd get there faster burning fat.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 am

Mulger bill wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I have a flat run pretty much to and from Caroline springs
To the CBD? What sorta time do you make?
I've got a workmate from Burnside and I'm sick enough of his whinging about being stuck in traffic to tell him he'd get there faster burning fat.
The best time I've done is 44mins 30seconds and that was leaving home at 3:45pm for a afternoon shift, the average time is around 51mins
Bare in mind I ride along Ballarat rd then along Dynon Rd and up Victoria st... Ballarat rd is not for the average joe sometimes :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks mate.

Sometimes?

I've ridden it a more than a few times from the Ring Rd inbound and copped big scares most times, I'd go 30 kms out of my way to avoid the Duke-Ashley section. Much prefer the Kororoit ck trail to Forest St then South Rd, Essex then Dynon or Footscray Rds to Dudley
London Boy 29/12/2011

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks mate.

Sometimes?

I've ridden it a more than a few times from the Ring Rd inbound and copped big scares most times, I'd go 30 kms out of my way to avoid the Duke-Ashley section. Much prefer the Kororoit ck trail to Forest St then South Rd, Essex then Dynon or Footscray Rds to Dudley
I've had a few close shaves, to name a few.. but generally I have no drama's
I ride along there Monday/Tuesday nights (AT) midnight and Sat/Sun mornings around 05:00. I've done a few rides into work around 17:00 and had no real issues either.

The only parts I hate are the bridge over Albion station and the bit before scumshine police station heading home... (just opp bunnings)

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I love Melbourne!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

RoryW

Postby RoryW » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 pm

iaintas wrote:yeah i would be pretty happy with a 40-45km round trip commute, but the +1 would drive, she is can work at the Mercy and Womens and Monash hospitals so it limits it to the eastern side of the city a bit. Im going to Alfred or stay at home dad!
Although it's far from Hipsterville, medium distances along the Dandenong train line (say Caulfield to Clayton) give good accessibility to the city by train, bike or car plus access to either the bayside or the hills.
That said, going North west/South east through the inner areas in peak hour - especially involving crossing the river can be very tedious by means other than by bike.

RoryW

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:54 am

kb wrote:
Blackburn to Warburton via Gembrook and return !! Wow, hard-man :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."